Rust on green beans? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rust on green beans?

Last post Apr 19, 2009 1:20 PM by PalmSpringsGirl . 1 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
  • Rust on green beans?

I bought some nice fresh green beans yesterday and today they look terrible. They have rust spots all over them. I hate to just throw them away, but they don't look appetizing and I don't know if the taste might be affected. What causes the spots? I tried searching the internet and found articles about fungus causing the rust on the leaves, and advice to choose green beans that do not have rust spots, but nothing about the cause or whether they are safe to eat. I wonder if it had anything to do with me leaving them sitting out unrefrigerated overnight? I wouldn't think so since they are not refrigerated at the market when on display. Any input will be appreciated. I think I am going to throw them out because they just look gross, but I'd like to know for the future.

PS -  I buy fresh green beans every week and have never had this problem before.

False
  • Re: Rust on green beans?

Usually green beans will get rusty looking if they have been picked in the early morning, when the dew is still on the bushes.  Seems strange that they would do that after you get them home, but I doubt they will harm you.  Just don't look very good.

False