How much taco meat for 200 people? Need help, please! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much taco meat for 200 people? Need help, please!

Last post Jun 19, 2004 8:32 AM by suzycreamcheese_MI . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • How much taco meat for 200 people? Need help, please!
    I'm helping my GF put on a graduation party for her DS. Her main food, by her son's request, is tacos. Can you give me a guesstimate of how much meat we should use?

There won't be many little kids, mostly adults and teenagers -- and you know how teens like tacos! There will be some other foods, but mostly things like veggie trays and beans, etc. I think this is the main entree.

TIA!

~~susie.

False

• RE: How much taco meat for 200 people? Need help, please!
    Hey, Susie! One of my friends recently had a gathering of about 50 people, and she had tacos, too. If I remember correctly, she had about 3-5 lbs. for every 10 people. I know she had 3lbs. of ground turkey, and that could feed about 5. Good luck!
    False
    Don't they say figure 1/2 lb. per person?? I thought I had read that somewhere but could be wrong.
    False
    susie it w8ill take a whole bunch perhsap a whole cow. hahaha no i think it is 1/2 lb per person depending on the hamburger meat, lean or fatty ..as the fatty cooks away more and leaves grease. goognite.
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

Aren't you brave!! I would say about 20-25 pounds. You should be able to get about 8 tacos from a pound of meat. Probably depends on how many tacos you plan to allow per person. I went to www.allrecipes.com and typed in beef tacos, found a recipe that was serving 5 people using 2 punds of meat and 18 taco shells. I scaled the recipe to 200 and it came back using 80 pounds of meat with 700 taco shells. Now unless you plan for everybody to have 8 tacos, you certainly won't need that much meat. Ain't that a good thing! Susan
    False
    The directions on the back of the taco seasoning package says 1 pound ground beef mixed with the water and seasoning serves 6. That would work out to 33 pounds!!
    False
    So....100 POUNDS? Yikes! LOL....

Does anyone remember the web site that will alter a recipe when you tell it how many servings you want?

I'm having a CRS day! *smile*

~~susie.

False

Duh, I just saw that, I'm sorry!

Think I'm going to be busy browning meat or what? LOL!!

~~susie.
    False

go to sams see what they have and u have mail
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

Hey Suzycreamcheese:

Definitely 50-60 lbs. would be enough. I cook at a school and that is what I use for 200-275 teenagers.
    You could also bake it in the oven to ease some of the cooking. Just remember to stir it occasionally. Good luck to you.

Marlene
    False
    Susie, you can stretch the meat a bit by adding some refried beans to the mix if that helps too.

I would go with the 5 lbs per 10 people.... some people eat a lot of tacos... and with the left over meat you could freeze some and make taco pizza with the leftovers... which is WONDERFUL and will post the recipe sometime this weekend if that helps.

Have fun! :)
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

I am an old GIRL SCOUT and worked at many large kitchens. For children we counted 6 sevings to a pound .For Adults 4 or maybe you could get by with 5 if meat is very lean. Buying lean is cheaper in the long run. Use lots of lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and count on 6 to a pound.
    Tsitra
    False
    Thank you, everyone, you guys come through again!

I'm going to email this thread to my GF and let her take it from there...I just do the work, not make the decisions! *grin*

{{Hugs}}

~~susie.

False

False

Hmmmmm, 100 pounds of refried beans and 200 teens.
    Think I'll pass on that party. lol

Couldn't resist susie.

False