Fresh Brussel Sprouts...How to Fix Them? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fresh Brussel Sprouts...How to Fix Them?

Last post Jul 04, 2009 10:29 PM by Stimpy_WI_F_50 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Fresh Brussel Sprouts...How to Fix Them?

Hi, everyone!   Yesterday I went to the local farmer's market and bought some fresh brussel sprouts.  I have no idea on  how to fix them.  Can anyone help me, please?  I remember seeing someone on the food network fixing them by frying them in a skillet in butter.  Has anyone tried this?  Any and all  help and recipes will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sandy

False
  • Re: Fresh Brussel Sprouts...How to Fix Them?

Sandy, I fix mine with butter nad the frying pan. Sometimes I add a little bacon and parmesan cheese too. I'll look on foodnetwork for the recipe.

False

Click for Rock Springs, Wyoming Forecast

TOH field editor for Wyoming

Here is the one I use the most. Its an Emril one.

Ingredients

• 12 ounces thickly sliced lean bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
    • 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
    • 8 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
    • 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, if desired
    • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Sugar, optional

Directions

In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately-high heat until browned, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the softened vegetables from the pan and set aside. Add the Brussels sprouts in batches and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown on the outside. Add the reserved bacon and vegetables to the Brussels sprouts in the pan along with salt and pepper, to taste, and a pinch of sugar. Cover skillet with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.

False

This Rachel Ray one sounds good. I haven't tried it though.

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    • 3 tablespoons honey
    • 1 cup chicken stock
    • 1 fresh bay leaf
    • 1/2 red onion, chopped
    • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    • 2 teaspoons mustard seed
    • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    • 2 tubs Brussels sprouts
    • 2 tablespoons celery salt
    • Black pepper

Directions

In a skillet, combine vinegar, honey and stock with a whisk. Stir in bay, onion, pepper, mustard seed and turmeric, stir and bring to a boil. Trim the Brussels sprouts and halve them. Add to stock mixture and season with celery salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, uncover and cook 5 minutes more.

False

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 15 min Level:
    0 Serves:
    4 servings  Ingredients
    3 slices bacon, chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    1 shallot, chopped
    1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
    Salt and pepper, to your taste
    1 cup chicken broth
    Directions
    Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
    Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
    Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 15 min Level:
    0 Serves:
    4 servings  Ingredients
    3 slices bacon, chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    1 shallot, chopped
    1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
    Salt and pepper, to your taste
    1 cup chicken broth
    Directions
    Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Skillet Brussels Sprouts w Potatoes

1 Tblsp margarine or vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 large potato, cut in small cubes
    1 bay leaf1
     lb Brussels sprouts, halved if large
    1 sweet red pepper, cut in pieces
    1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 Tblsps chopped fresh parsley or green onions
    In large skillet, melt margarine over medium heat; cook
    onion,
    potato and bay leaf, stirring often, until onion is
    softened.
    Add Brussels sprouts, red pepper and stock; cover and
    cook
    for 8 to 10 minutes. (add water if necessary) Season
    with pepper.
    Sprinkle with parsley or green onions. Remove bay leaf
    before
    serving
    serves 6

False

Here's a recipe I have used a couple times.  We really enjoyed it.

Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Simple & Delicious - try a FREE ISSUE today!

“This is my all-time favorite vegetable recipe! Even people who don't think they like brussels sprouts really love it. I like to serve it all year long.” Joan Braun - Lakewood, Wisconsin

SERVINGS: 5

CATEGORY: Side Dish

METHOD:

TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min.

Ingredients:
    • 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
    • 1/2 cup fresh baby carrots, halved
    • 1 cup pecan halves
    • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1/4 cup maple syrup
    • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Directions: Place brussels sprouts and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
        Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pecans and chili powder in butter for 2 minutes. Drain vegetables; add to pecan mixture. Stir in the maple syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until brussels sprouts are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 5 servings.

False

They're very good roasted. Just toss them with some olive oil (or any oil you have), just enough to coat them. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet. Bake them at 350 (375 in my oven- it's "off") for 20-30 minutes until they're crisp-tender.

I also like to sprinkle some chopped red pepper and onion onto the pan.

deb

False

I usually put them in a little lightly salted  boiling water until just tender.  If they are large, cut an X in the stem end - helps them cook evenly.  The water must be boiling before the sprouts go inSmile.. Then just add alittle butter and freshly ground pepper.

MMMMMMM -  my mouth is watering at the thought.  Never had fresh sprouts at this time of year.  My grandfather always said they were best after a frost.

Enjoy them no matter how you cook them.

False

I wash them, cut a bit more off the stem end and take off any wilted leaves, put them in a pyrex bowl with a cover, and microwave them for a few minutes - how long depends on how many sprouts.  I don't put any extra water in the dish.  Leave them covered for a few minutes, then put in some butter and seasoned salt.  Perfection!

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast