Pulled pork for a crowd | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pulled pork for a crowd

Last post Apr 25, 2011 8:44 PM by Stimpy_WI_F_50 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Pulled pork for a crowd

I need to make enough pulled pork to feed approximately 70 people. All the recipes I come across seem to be only for the crock pot. Do you have any tried and true recipes for doing this in the  oven? I also would appreciate any not too spicey ( this is for a senoirs group) barbeque sauce recipes that you might like to share. Thanks rohan

False
  • Re: Pulled pork for a crowd

I have only found recipes that take hours in the oven and probably wouldn't serve that many ~ do you have an 18 qt Nesco roaster available?  You could probably cook enough pork in one of those and manage. I'll see what I can find and post later when I come up with something. I guess you could keep making it in your crockpot till you have enough cooked but that's a lot of people to serve.  Good luck!!   pegg

False

pegg

Here's a website you can check.  It is a crock pot recipe, but perhaps you could borrow some crockpots.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4615866_make-pulled-pork.html

False

This is one that I have used that gives directions for cooking on top of the stove. The barbecue sauce is cooked with the meat and is not too spicy especially with the lesser amount of chili powder. I would think that you could do it in the oven in a larger pan or two and stir it every so often.

This if for beef and pork but I am reasonably sure that you could use all beef or pork-. I found this in a Good Housekeeping a few years ago. I thought they were very good.

BARBEQUE BEEF AND PORK SANDWICHES

In a 3 ½ to 5 qt slow-cooker combine

1 ½ # beef for stew

1 ½ # pork cubes

2 c chopped onions

3 green peppers, chopped,

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

½ c packed brown sugar

¼ c cider vinegar

4 tsp chili powder (or more depending on taste the original recipe says ¼ c)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp dry mustard

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Cover, cook on high (300°) for 8 hours.

With wire whisk, stir mixture until meat is shredded.

Makes about 12 sandwiches.

To cook on top of stove, Use a 6 qt Dutch oven, prepare as above and add 1 c water. Simmer 3 hours.

False

Here's one I found on TOH web site.  posted by Red raspberry girl in a cooking for a crowd thread.

Barbecued Pork Sandwiches

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : COOKING FOR A CROWD/POTLUCK Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) boneless pork loin roasts
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups ketchup
    2 cups diced celery
    1/3 cup steak sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup vinegar
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    20 to 25 hamburger buns

Place roasts in an 8-qt. Dutch oven; add water and salt. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roasts and shred with a fork; set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid and discard. Drain all but 1 cup cooking liquid. Add meat, ketchup, celery, steak sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1-1/2 hours. Serve on buns.

Source:
    "1997 Taste of Home Annual Recipes"
    S(Formatted by:):
    "Moonchild2488"
    Copyright:
    "1996 Reiman Publications, L.P."
    False

Here's the Cooking for a Crowd thread posted a few years ago.  There are lots of good recipes for anyone needing reunion or large party recipes.  This is where I found the Pulled pork recipe.(page 6 I think) I would think you could do the pulled pork in a Nesco roaster and cook a larger amount at one time.

https://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/128463.aspx?PageIndex=1

False

I use the recipe that Margielou_wa posted for my pulled pork. But I cook whole pork loins in the oven at 350 degrees for about 3 1/2 hours. I use my regular roaster and I use a large baking dish covered with foil to cook them in. After they are shredded and the sauce added, use an electric roaster or large crock pots. I'd use three of the loins to feed 70 people.

False

I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do. --Oscar Wilde

we made pulled pork for a restaurant I worked in. We used the picnic ( shoulder). Cook it in rasting pans covered with foil in a slow ( 250- 275) oven. Let it cool and shred it. You can make as much as you like this way.

Cover the meat with salt, pepper, thyme, fennel seed. Bay leaves go in the water which should cover about 1/3 of the meat. Wrap foil tightly and put in the oven for 8 - 10 hours. Here is a sauce you can use:

East Carolina Barbeque Sauce
    • 2 cups cider vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons molasses
    • 1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    ·                                  

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix cider vinegar, molasses, ground dry mustard, butter, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Cook and stir until all sugar has dissolved. Do not allow the mixture to come to a boil

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I find that the pork shoulder and butt roasts make much better "pulled" pork than the loin roast.   It takes more time to remove the fat, etc. but the meat is moister and works well to make the barbecue dishes.  

I also find that Kraft Original Hickory Smoked barbecue sauce works very well for most tastes.   You can also "water it down" as I don't like too much barbecue sauce on my meat.   I always do mine in the crock pots but for a larger amount - the roaster sounds like a very good idea.   I make pork loin roasts in my Nesco Roaster and they are wonderful.   After cooking the meat - you can just shred it and put it back in the roaster with the sauce to cook for awhile - serving it out of the roaster.  Easy to transport, also.

False
    Tria

I just made pulled pork for a wedding of about 150 people, I perfer pork butt for this.  Used a simple receipe, that was cooked in a slow cooker.   Had 26 lbs of pork butt roast.  Cooked three at a time in each of two slow cookers, overnight (on a Friday), woke Saturday morning, shredded and drained, ( I Keep my cooking sauce to mix with Sweet Baby Ray BBQ Sauce to finish this ).    Put this in the freezer, and cooked another 6 roast all day Saturday, and finished with the last batch Saturday night.  I like the slow roasting in the slow cooker for this.

Everything was in the freezer by Sunday morning, for the wedding,  easy and didn't heat up the kitchen.  PS  made 24 lbs of ground chuck into meatballs also.  

Used a Carolina style BBQ to cook in, than added Sweet Baby Rays had two FULL steam table pans full. 

I
    False
    This sounds wonderful. I am planning to feed a group about this size for my son is coming home from Afghanistan for a 2 week R&R. What seasonings did you use as a rub?
    False

I ran across a great recipe for a non-spicy 'pulled' pork.  I used two beef roasts and one pork roast in the crockpot, but because my crockpot wasn't getting hot, I finished it covered in foil in the oven at 300 degrees.

The sauce I poured over it (while it cooked):

1 can regular Coke

1 envelope onion soup mix

1 12-ounce jar chili sauce

You could make this as many times as you needed to cover the amount of meat you have.  It really is good.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast