Dill Pickle Chip Recipe? (Canning) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dill Pickle Chip Recipe? (Canning)

Last post Jul 17, 2009 3:58 PM by moly . 7 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Re: Dill Pickle Chip Recipe? (Canning)

Summer I found this one...I haven't tried it, but it looks ok...

Dill Hamburger slices

Here are some tasty dill pickle slices to top your burgers or sandwiches.

Ingredients:

• 4 pounds pickling cucumbers
    • 2 tablespoons canning salt or kosher salt
    • 2 1/2 quarts water
    • 3 cups cider vinegar
    • 3 cups water
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons canning salt or kosher salt
    • 6 teaspoons dill seeds
    • 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
    • 6 bay leaves
    • 18 to 24 black peppercorns

Preparation:

Slice ends off cucumbers then slice in 1/4-inch rounds. Put the cucumber slices in a large nonreactive bowl or pot and cover with the 2 1/2 quarts of water. Add 3 tablespoons salt and stir until salt is dissolved. Cover and let stand for 12 hours.

Drain cucumber slices.

Prepare jars. Fill a boiling water canner half-full with water; add jars and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low to keep jars hot.

In a nonreactive pot, combine the 3 cups vinegar and 3 cups water. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt until dissolved. Bring to a boil. Into each of 6 pint jars, add 1 teaspoon dill seeds, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 bay leaf, 3 or 4 peppercorns, and about 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic. Pack with cucumbers.

Add hot vinegar mixture to each jar, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace.

Wipe rims and threads of jars with a damp paper towel. Fit with lids and screw on jar rings tightly. Put the jars in a rack and lower into the hot water. If necessary, add more boiling of near-boiling water so the water level is 1 to 2 inches above the jars. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 10 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely. Check for seals about 24 hours later. Store in a cool dark place for a few weeks before using

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

LOL Summer!  I hope nothing explodes on you!

I got it from About.com....here's a list for your to browse!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/picklesrelishes/Pickles_and_Relishes.htm 

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Here is the one I have been using:

Dill Pickles

1 qt. vinegar

1 cup canning salt ( I cut this back as they were too salty last year - first batch I did 3/4 cup, second batch did 2/3 cup)

2 1/2 quarts of water

1 tsp allum crystals (powder if you can find crystals)

Bring to a boil.

In Sterile jars, put 1 tsp dill seed or dill weed.  Pack in sliced cucumbers.  Sprinkle 1/2 tsp garlic on top, then cover with the brine.  Put on lids.  Water bath for 15 minutes.  Let sit for 8 weeks before opening. 

Everybody liked them last year other than they were too salty.  Very very easy recipe.  I also read if you soak your cucumber slices in ice water for 2 hours before the canning, they will be crisper.  So, these are my changes and I am looking forward to trying them.  I also heard that allum crystals make for crisper pickles as opposed to the powder, but crystals are harder to find.  if you have an amish community nearby with a store, they may sell the crystals as that is where mine came from because I couldn't find it at any of the stores in town.

Does about 9 pints!

Good luck!

Kelly

False
    The WeatherPixie

Here is a recipe that might work for you and is a tested safe recipe.  I think you can slice them into spears or slices and it should still work.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/quick_dill_pickles.html

False

bump

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Hi Summer and all,

I put whole garlic cloves in my dills and my dilly beans every year. Works out just fine. Here is the dilly bean recipe if you are interested. As a side note, you can put a washed grape leaf in every jar of dill pickles to add to the crispness and to maintain a little more of the green color. Don't need them in the beans.

DILLED GREEN BEANS

Green beans                              4 lbs. , about 4 quarts

Hot red pepper, crushed           ¼ t per pint jar

Mustard seed                           ½ t per pint jar

Dill seed                                   ½ t per pint jar

Garlic                                        1 clove per pint jar

Vinegar                                     5 c

Water                                      5 c

Salt                                           ½ c

Fresh dill weed and heads as available

Wash beans, drain and snap into lengths.  Pack beans into clean, hot pint jars.  Add pepper, mustard seed, dill, and garlic.  Combine vinegar, water, and salt.  Heat to boiling.  Pour boiling liquid over beans filling to ½" of top of jar.  Adjust lids.  Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Start timing as soon as water in canner returns to boiling.  Remove and cool.

False