Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

Last post Jul 14, 2009 6:02 AM by Sparty . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

I have bouillon cubes and dehydrated onion, would that work?

False
  • Re: Need A Substitute For Canned French Onion Soup

I would use real onions if I could, but I suspect it would be fine.  What are you making?

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

6 Can Chili, I don't know why I'm making it because I don't eat soup or chili when it's this hot. Our air conditioning is out and I didn't want to light the stove so I looked through my "to try" stack of recipes and found one . . . I can make it in the crock pot. 

I have never used canned French Onion Soup, how does it differ from dry soup?

Six Can Chili
    Serves: 8

1/4 c Cornmeal
    1 t Paprika
    1/2 c Barbeque sauce
    28 oz Can whole tomatoes w/juice; cut up
    2 can Chili without beans; 15oz ea

15 1/2 oz Can Pinto or Dark or Light Red Kidney beans w/juice
    15 oz Spicy Chili beans w/juice
    1 can Condensed French onion soup

In 3-1/2 to 4 qt crockpot, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover; cook on HIGH for 2 to 4 or until thoroughly heated. Or cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours. TIP-For hotter chili flavor, 2 teaspoons chili powder can be added.

False

I would use the boullion to make the amount of beef broth needed to equal the can of soup. Then I would put 1/2 sliced onion in a skillet and saute until softened but not browned. Add the onion to the broth and continue with the recipe.

False

Canned French onion is very unique...and hard to find!!  I like the idea of boullion, definitely saute the onions to get them really, really softened.  I use it in a rice dish my Mom got from a neighbor 40+ yrs ago.  My Kroger doesn't carry it...I've found it at Walmart...also at our Meijer store.  In fact Meijer had it for $1/can a while back.  I got 6 cans!!

Geeked

False