Something new and good my Walmart Deli is carrying...and a funny question? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Something new and good my Walmart Deli is carrying...and a funny question?

Last post Dec 09, 2009 11:02 PM by heidi1327 . 28 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12
  • Something new and good my Walmart Deli is carrying...and a funny question?

It may be that this has been around for awhile, but I just discovered it this week. My Walmart Deli is making General Tso's Chicken now....I picked some up for a quick lunch earlier this week. It was really delicious.....sweet, hot, sticky, crunchy. I was so impressed. I don't usually care for any of the chicken they make, but Sydney likes the chicken strips, so I had gone to get those when I was shopping, and spotted this. I'm already thinking about when I can go back and get some more! :)......They told me that it was considered "hot", but I didn't find it hot at all...now they did have some little red chili peppers cooked into the mix, but I just picked those out. I really, really liked the crunchiness of it...it was very satisfying.

Has anyone tried this stuff? And.....How do you pronounce it anyway? LOL.....Sow? So?

Teeso?

Help? I just told them I wanted the General's chicken and skipped the Sow/So/Teeso altogether....maybe I'll sound more educated the next time.

Thanks!

Star

False
  • Re: Something new and good my Walmart Deli is carrying...and a funny question?

Thanks for theheads-up, Star. I love General "Sows" chicken. That's how we pronounce here in SE MA anyway. I'm headed to Walmart tomorrow and will see if our store carries it.  Pat

False
  • Re: Something new and good my Walmart Deli is carrying...and a funny question?

Star,it's pronounced General So and it's made by Tyson ( we rep. them)They also have a new sweet & sour chicken and smoked sausage rope under the Wilson brand ( both are real good. Depo!!!

False

I tried General Tso's chicken for the first time this summer and really liked it.  (DD shared some of their leftovers from dinner which came from a local Chinese restaurant).  Golly, I sure wish we had the Super Walmarts (I think that is what they are called when they have a regular grocery store set-up inside) here in CT.  The nearest one is up in MA about 1 1/2 hours away so I doubt I drive up just for the chicken.

Star, it looks like you have found another great item at Walmart. 

Dottie 

False

Hey Pat! You're very welcome and I hope you can find it. I'd love to know if you like it as well as I did.

Well, it looks as if they pronounce it differently in different areas? In Ma it's Sow....like a pig?

And Dennis, in Texas, it's So.....like when you use a needle and thread to sew something?

I called my sister earlier today and asked her and she said she didn't refer to it as anything other than the General's chicken either, LOL. I bet there is a lot of that going around!

Dennis, do they get it frozen and then reheat it? I guess in my little brain, I thought they actually cooked that stuff in the store, but no huh? Does Tyson just sell it to the delis or is it available retail?

Hey Miss Dottie! I am so happy to see you out and about. I've had it before actually eating out, but it's been a long, long time. I had forgotten that I really did like it until now. I'm sorry you don't have a Super Walmart close by....I wouldn't drive that far either as much as I liked it. Around here, there is a Super Walmart every 15 or 20 miles I think....I have at least 7 or 8 within a half hour drive. I remember a few years ago, I made several trips to different ones looking for a particular drink mix that they carried under the Great Value brand that turned out to be outrageously popular and was always selling out. I finally found it....so sometimes it comes in handy to have so many.

I hope that you'll try it if you get a chance.

Star

False

Hi Miss Star! So nice to see you. Hope you and yours are well.

We don't shope Wally World much so I haven't seen this chicken there, but our local Chinese take-out has what they call general Chicken which I'm going to presume is about the same. It's one of diana's favorite meals and we can order it spicy or not. Our favorite Chinese Buffet also has General Tso's Chicken on the bar and it's mildly spicy. All in all it's pretty good stuff.

I joined a Smoked Meat BB recently and some of the folks are from my area. There is a rib cook-off this Sunday in the town that Mary Mitten (from Mary's Tea Room)  lives in and Diana and I are going to the cook-ff. Several of the guys from the Smoked meat BB are competing in it so we're going to meet them, then going on to Mary's house to meet her too. Sounds like it's going to be a great day. Some good "Q" and friends too.

I have 3 smokers and I'm seriously thinking of doing some practising this Summer and maybe competing next Summer. Maybe if I put my cooking imagination in gear I can come up with some unique ribs that I can call my own that will be winners. I'm also going to work on some pork butts and briskets too. 

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Star,it comes in frozen then they fry it and sauce it.It has become the number one selling Tyson chicken dish but the sweet & sour has really taken off too.It's only sold to the delis,no retail,yet. Depo!!!

False

STAR!!!!!Left Hug

So good to see you :)

Keep sending those recipes. I'm having trouble sending emails, but receiving them is no problem.

Funny thing, I think I live about 2 miles from Depo. We pronounce it sow, like cow. lol

deb

False

Hey Deb, YGM. Depo!!!

False

Hi Star I have tried it, but think it is only ok, just my own opinion. It is pronounced like T-owwww's, like the owww when u hurt your toe! *grin* It is my husbands favorite oriental type chicken, I make some homemade for him that he really likes not so crunchy. Connie

False

John, that sounds perfect for you! I know you love to experiment. And how neat that they're doing things close enough to you that you can get to them. Do they do contests for different categories of the smoked meat? Like this weekend it's ribs....then later they'll do pork butts and the like?

I had some awesome ribs at Longhorn when Syd and I went out to eat the other night. They were a new and temp. item....Spiced Rum BBQ Sauce. They also had another one, with Vidalia onions, but I didn't get to try that one. They were absolutely fall off the bone tender, so I think that's part of the secret to getting a really good recipe....I was just so impressed. I don't think I've ever had ribs as tender. You'll have to be sure and let us know how you enjoyed this weekend and how your experimenting is going. I guess we won't be able to ask for the recipes, though, huh? :)

Dennis, I can absolutely believe that it's number one..... I thought it was SO delicious! Does Tyson send the sauce too? So it all comes in a big package?  I didn't see the sweet and sour, but I'll look for it when I go back. Do you think it'll go retail sometime?

Hey Deb!!!  I am glad to see you too, Thank you for letting me know abour your email. I'll definitely keep on sending them.

Connie, I wonder if perhaps your deli cooks them a bit differently? Now, I like crunchy, so that also might be an issue....if you like yours softer. I guess anyone who is interested will have to just try them and see. I am glad to see you too, girl. I haven't been here a lot, but I haven't seen you at all. And.....LOL....do you share your recipe??? :)

I guess, as far as the name, I'll have to ask some more around here and see what most people say....or just stay safe, LOL, and ask for the "General's Chicken"

Star

False

wow I've always pronounced theT almost like Towel with out the L.

anyway at least you can get it I don't know what Our walmart neighborhood market has because DH does the grocery shopping.......... but maybe you coulod make the packet found in the "packet isle" of the store...... you know sauce mixes and stuff like gravy and and other packets, I made one that had "BIRD" in the name and it was great.

and you can use the Tyson popcorn chicken and skip step one

False
    Amy

Amy! That was what I was trying to do too to begin with, when I was standing in the store....Tow that rhymes with Cow. And I'd be willing to bet a bunch of people do, LOL.

That is a great idea about using the popcorn chicken and the packet....was it Sunbird? I love their oriental mixes anyway. Did you use the prepackaged or do your own chicken?

I bet if you have a Supercenter, there is a good chance your deli has it. If you try it, let me know what you think, ok?

Star

False
    Yes
    False

Star, it all comes in one big pkg.As the chicken is cooking the sauce bag is heating.They transfer the chicken to a stainless steel bowl and pour the sauce over  and toss to cover.There have been quiet a few requests for a retail pkg. and I believe they are working on one. Depo!!!

False