Bean Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bean Soup

Last post Jun 23, 2004 1:03 PM by nataliepooh . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • Bean Soup
    I am looking for a receipe for bean soup using Great Northern Beans.
    False
  • RE: Bean Soup
    : SENATE BEAN SOUP
    Posted by: chamomile_IL_f_48 Posted on: 2/19/2002 12:41:29 AM
    #R192536
    Though I am not familiar with the soup McGuire's serves under the name of "Senate Bean Soup," I have in my possession the actual recipe served in the U.S. Senate for over 100 years:

U.S. SENATE BEAN SOUP

1 lb. dry navy beans
    1 ham bone with meat

Soak beans overnight in 3 quarts of water. Drain. Put ham bone and beans in a large soup pot and add 2 quarts of cold water. Simmer for 2 hours. Then add:

4 c. mashed potatoes (or more for even thicker soup)
    3 medioum onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    4 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Simmer for 1 hour more.

[I did want to note that numerous recipes have been published under the heading "Senate Bean Soup." Although there are many different variations that appear under this heading, the recipe I've provided above is the ACTUAL recipe served in the U.S. Senate. It may differ from soups under the same name served in various restaurants outside the Senate.]

I haven't tried this but it is on my list of things to try. I also make a sauerkraut soup with white beans but I don't use a recipe bu if you like I could try to put it into a recipe
    False
  • RE: Bean Soup
    I have made the Senate Bean Soup and it is very good. Here is my version.

Senate Bean Soup

1 pound dry white beans, soaked overnight 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
    3 quarts water 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
    3 onions, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 stalks celery, with leaves, finely chopped
    1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Minced parsley or chives, for garnish

Strain the water from the soaked beans and put in a big pot with 3 quarts of water and the ham bone or ham hocks. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Stir the chopped vegetables and herbs into the pot--and also the mashed potatoes if you're cooking the Senate version--and cook over low heat for another hour, until the beans are nicely tender. Remove the bones from the pot. Cut off the meat into small bits and return the meat to the pot, discarding the bones. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with pinches of herbs. For "U.S. House of Representative Bean Soup" authenticity, crush a few of the beans in each bowl to thicken the broth and make it slightly opaque.
    False