I Need A Good Italian Meatball Recipe Please | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I Need A Good Italian Meatball Recipe Please

Last post Aug 11, 2009 9:13 AM by twogk_OH . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • I Need A Good Italian Meatball Recipe Please

With Diana and I spending so much time at the hospital, we've been eating out a lot and the other day when Di went to the hospital alone I asked her what she'd like for dinner when she got home. She just said "Spaghetti".  Now normally we just brown up a pound of ground beef with onions and garlic, add a jar of whatever spaghetti sauce that sounded good to us the last time we were at the store and adjust it with seasonings. I wanted to surprise her with meatballs though. I haven't made meatballs in over 25 years, but I was game, so I flattened out the ground beef into a 12" square, sprinkled it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Italian seasoning and fresh minced onion. I sliced it into 12 squares and rolled each square into a ball which I browned in olive oil and then placed in a paper towel lined bowl to drain. While all that was going on, I cooked the spaghetti ans started the sauce simmering in a pot with a chopped onion, some garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper added to it. When the onion was tender, I added the meatballs and let the pot simmer until Diana got home a half hour later. I plated the spaghetti, ladeled sauce and meatballs over it, sat down, took a bite of meatball and said "YUCK!
    They tasted like lightly seasoned hard balls of ground beef, not the nice firm, yet soft and highly seasoned meatballs that I'm used to eating in restaurants.

So I'm asking for your help. I need a good, authentic, T&T, Italian style meatball recipe. Have you got one?

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • Re: I Need A Good Italian Meatball Recipe Please

Hi, John! Hope you and Diana are holding up well.

I think you need some breadcrumbs in your meat mixture~This original recipe came from GreenChili-Lori and her recipe was very good, but I tweeked it a little because we love sausage! See notes below!

Garlic Meatballs

You can add these to your favorite spaghetti sauce or they make great meatball sandwiches on a hoagie roll with provolone or mozzarella cheese.

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
    1 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (Italian crumbs)
    5 Tbs parmesan cheese
    5 Tbs minced parsley
    2 Tbs minced garlic
    1/2 tsp salt and pepper
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and form into meatballs. Place meatballs on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

Notes: I doubled the recipe and used 1 pound of Italian sausage for 1 pound of the ground beef. Also probably used more garlic-we love it!
    I made little meatballs for pasta, and big ones for sandwiches. They freeze well, too! Enjoy & thank you, Green Chili!
    Ellen

False

This recipe is one my mom got from an Italian friend back in the 1940's.

2 lbs. lean ground beef

1 cup crushed saltines

2 eggs

parsley (I use dried)

salt, pepper, garlic powder

Lightly roll into balls, fry in butter and/or olive oil.

This is one from an old Italian cookbook that I've had for many years.  

Mamma's Meatballs

2 lbs. ground chuck

1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs

1/2 cup chopped parsley

3 cloves finely minced garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder

2 eggs

1/4 cup water

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Mix all together, form into balls and fry in olive oil until golden brown.

False

I don't have an exact recipe for Italian meatballs, but my Italian family has always used a mixture of ground beef and ground pork OR Italian sausage removed from the casing. To this add S&P, an egg, one or two slices of bread which has been soaked in either water or milk and squeezed dry. This keeps the mixture moist and soft, but the meatballs firm up when cooking in the sauce. If you start out with very firm meatballs before cooking, they will end up like small rocks.....as you probably know. Also, I add some dried marjoram (some like oregano, but I prefer marjoram which is milder), and minced garlic or garlic powder. If using Italian sausage, which is highly seasoned, instead of the ground pork , go easy on the addition of garlic. You can also add grated Romano or Parmesan cheese - the kind you buy in a chunk, not in the green box. The meatballs can be lightly browned in olive oil or browned in the oven before adding to the prepared simmering sauce to continue to cook. The meatballs seasons the sauce and actually the sauce tastes better if made the day before. Hope this helps.

Anne 

False

Here is one I use. You can sub 85% ground beef for the 96% ground beef or you can do a pound of ground beef and then a pound of ground pork. We've been using just 96% ground beef lately. 

2 lbs ground beef or 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground pork

1/2 cup oatmeal, ground up ( I use my food processor or mini chopper)

2 egg whites

2 T minced garlic

2 T Italian seasoning

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

splash of milk (enough to make it moist-I use fat free milk)

Handful of parmeasan cheese (optional)

Beat egg whites, milk and seasonings together. Add meat by crumbling it over the bowl with the milk/egg. Mix by hand until blended but not blending too much or meatballs will be tough. Roll into walnut sized balls and put on a cookie sheet. In oven, heated to 375 cook for 15 minutes or until balls are no longer pink. 

False

Click for Rock Springs, Wyoming Forecast

glutenfreern.blogspot.com

TOH field editor for Wyoming

These recipes sound great!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I'm sorry that I don't remember the original poster, John.  Runs in my mind it was Mrs. Lucci, but I could be wrong.  It is very good.

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Authentic Italian Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl by hand.
    2. Use your bare hands for best results.
    3. Roll meatballs to about the size of a golf ball.
    4. Drop raw meatballs into large (I use a stock pot) pot of sauce.
    5. (I have an incredible sauce recipe {#92096} I use for my meatballs).
    6. Simmer for about 3 hours.

Authentic Italian Tomato Sauce

This is a recipe I got from my father who got it from a little old lady he knew from
    Italy. I always simmer this sauce with my meatballs (recipe posted). You can also add sausage if you like. This sauce is to die for!!!!

2 (116.00 ounces) cans tomato puree
    1 (35.00 ounces) can peeled plum tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic
    1 small onion, diced
    6 cloves
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup grated cheese

1. In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
    2. Empty plum tomatoes into large bowl and squash with your hands.
    3. Add all ingredients (including any meatballs or sausage you want to add) to pot and simmer for 3 hours.

False

I use a cookie dough scoop (about 1 tblsp) to gather my meatball mixture out of the mixing bowl, raw, and drop them directly into my simmering sauce. The meatballs will turn out tender this way every time. Simmer at least an hour.

False

Hey John all the recipes sound good, but I make mine just like Anne. I think the secret to moist meatballs is soaking the bread in either water or milk for a few minutes, squeezing out and then adding to the ground beef along with egg, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder, parsley fresh or dry, and a little bit of basil (fresh if you have it)  or dried and some Parmesan cheese.  I roll my meatballs into about 1 inch size, ( I don't like big meatballs, then bake in the oven to brown, and drop them in my sauce to simmer.  Yumo Gail

False

M_Wolverine
    They tasted like lightly seasoned hard balls of ground beef, not the nice firm, yet soft and highly seasoned meatballs that I'm used to eating in restaurants

This recipe will not taste like that John.  I had this recipe published in Cooking for 2 quite a while back.   I got the recipe from someone I used to work with whose MIL is Italian.Big Smile  It's a real winner.  Hope you get the chance to make it when things calm down in your life.

MEATBALLS WITH SPAGHETTI SAUCE

Sauce:

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 clove minced garlic

3 tbsp olive oil

1-28 oz can whole tomatoes

1-8 oz tomato sauce

1-6 oz tomato paste

1/2 cup water

1 tsp basil

3 tbsp parsley

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

In large pot heat oil and add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is transparent. Add whole tomatoes, sauce and paste, stir and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer while you make and cook the meatballs, stirring occasionally.

Meatballs:

3/4 lb ground beef

1/4 lb ground pork

1 cup fresh bread crumbs

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1 tbsp parsley

1/4 tsp garlic salt

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

oil to brown

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Form into balls and bake at 350F for 1 hour or until done. Add to sauce.

False

Hi John,

Here is a recipe from  a good friend of mine.  Her father was an excellent cook and he was from Italy.  I have made it many times. I hope you might like it.

Nancy

NICK'S SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS

MEATBALLS:

1-1/2 lb. ground beef

5 or 6 slices bread

4 eggs

1 clove garlic, diced fine

1/2 c. romano cheese

1 small onion, diced

2 T. parsley

salt and pepper

Form meatballs and brown.  Set aside.

SPAGHETTI SAUCE:

1 large can tomato puree

1 large can tomato sauce

1 large can tomato sauce

1 can of water for every can of the above tomato ingredients

2 T. parsley

salt and pepper

1 med. green pepper, diced

1 clove garlic

1 small onion, diced

3/4 c. Romano cheese

1-1/2 to 2 T. sugar

Combine all sauce ingredients in large pot and simmer 5 hours or until desired thickness.  Put meatballs in last hour.

(I sometimes throw in a large can of mushrooms, drained)

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Thank you so much everyone. I'm sorry it took so long to respond. We've been at the hospital with Diana's Mom and took an afternoon off to go to a rib cook-off so I'm just now getting back online.

If I try each one of these delicious sounding recipes, Diana and I will be set for a whole lot of good eating. Sure hope good ground beef goes on sale pretty quick.

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

If you don't mind another recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH AUTHENTIC ITALIAN PARMESAN MEATBALLS

Recipe By     :
    Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories    : beef                            hamburger
                    Italian                         main dish
                    meat

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
      1              pound  ground beef
      1                     egg
         1/4           cup  finely chopped onion
         1/4           cup  milk
      1           teaspoon  Worcestershire sauce
         1/2           cup  breadcrumbs
         1/4      teaspoon  salt
         1/2      teaspoon  oregano
         1/2      teaspoon  garlic powder
         1/2      teaspoon  fresh ground pepper
         1/4           cup  grated parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl by hand. Shape into small meatballs. Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes, turning once.

This is a combination of various recipes from Recipezarr and TofH BB.

Cuisine:
      "Meat"
    Source:
      "Various sources"
                                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

False

I don't mind another recipe at all Diane, in fact, thank you very much. It's going right in my "to try" file along with these others so I can try them all until I find a favorite.

John

False

John

John

Here is a recipe of my Italian friend gave me years ago.

1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck

1/2 lb. ground pork

1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs (plain or Italian)

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper or to taste

3 T. dried parsley

Add 1/4 c. to 1/2 c. of parmesean cheese if you wish.  I don't always add the cheese.

6 eggs

Mix well, roll into balls.  Brown lightly in fry pan and cook in your homemade spaghetti sauce.

False

Grandmamac