Why does my potato salad always get runny? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why does my potato salad always get runny?

Last post Jun 25, 2004 10:49 PM by casf_or_Carol_IN . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Why does my potato salad always get runny?
    I have tried several different recipes and they always end up with a runny consistency. Would it be because I use light mayo? TIA
    False
  • RE: Why does my potato salad always get runny?
    mallcat

make sure you let your potatoes drain really well and are cooled before you mix them with the other ingredients. Also, if you use celery in your potato salad, make sure after you wash it that that is dry before you add it to your ingredients too. Maybe any moisture left from warm potatoes or rinsed celery is the culprit. Also, is it the light mayo you use or the fat free? I use Hellmans light and it doesnt give me a problem but I find the fat free did (and the fat free also didnt taste very good)
    False
    Welcome to the board mallcat.

It could be also that you are not draining the potatoes well enough. However, it could be the light mayo. I do not have good results with it so never buy it any more. Just try and eat less of anything with the real mayo.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

could be over cooked potatoes...watch them and get them out of the hot water as soon as they are tender...some like to place the drained potatoes back in the hot pot and let them cool that way...also are you adding milk to your dressing???? I just use mayo and mustard...never adding milk...don't know about the light or fatfree mayo, as it just plain tastes nasty to me...and we don't use very much mayo anyway...so we use the real thing....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Cook your potatoes without boiling. I use the microwave and don't wrap the potatoes or poke holes in the potatoes. They will be perfect for potatoe salad. I usually put five or six in my microwave rice cooker for 10 - 12 min. and they cook perfect. I mix all the ingredients first and then fold in the room temp potatoes.
    False
    I boil my taters in the skin and peel & dice while warm then add my dressing while warm, they absorb the dressing better that way.

False
    Cittie is RIGHT! It took me 30 years to figure this out! My potato salad was always mush until I figured out that if I cooked the potatoes with the skins ON, let them cool, THEN diced them (!), my potato salad was beautiful. Well,DUH...when I peeled and diced them BEFORE boiling them, they just absorbed all that water. Try it........this might be your answer.......
    False
    I always use the fat free mayo and I don't have a problem with it being runny. I use it for macaroni salad too, I cube the potatoes before cooking. I always drain and rinse & drain again the potatoes and macaroni, then let cool.
    False
    I always use light or fat free mayo and never have a problem with runny potato salad. I also boil the potatoes in there jacket. I let them cool just to the point that I can handle them before I peel and dice them. I put them into the dressing while they are still warm. Are you using relish or pickles in your salad? If so drain them very well before adding to the salad.

This is the dressing I use:
    1 C Hellman's Mayonnaise (I use light or fat free)
    1/3 sugar (I use Splenda)
    2 T vinegar
    1 heaping T yellow mustard
    1 T celery seed.

Mix well and add to salad ingredients.

I use the above dressing minus the mustard and celery seed for broccoli salad. I've also used it for cucumber salad minus the mustard and celery seed and adding either chopped mint or dried dill weed to taste. Hope this helps you. Carol
    False

Carol