HOw do I get the smell out of a stainless steel thermos? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HOw do I get the smell out of a stainless steel thermos?

Last post Jun 28, 2004 2:35 PM by Ann_Marie_PA . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • HOw do I get the smell out of a stainless steel thermos?
    My DH puts in dry coffee mate stuff for his coffee...and it has made his thermos smell. I tried baking soda and vinegar...after it fizzed up I left it sit 'til late last night. STILL smells this morning. Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!
    Ann
    False

• RE: HOw do I get the smell out of a stainless steel thermos?
    Try denture cleaner. That is what we use. :) Good luck!
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

Try putting baking soda (1-2 tablespoons) in the bottom of the thermos (no vinegar), fill completely with boiling water, put the cork in and let sit overnight. This is what I used to do frequently with my husband's thermos. We weren't dealing with the creamer issue but it might work.

Judy
    False
    Huh...never thought of denture cleaner.

Will try both suggestions.

Thanks!!
    False

You might also try Dip-it, I use it to clean out my coffee pot and it works great!
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    never heard of it...tried the baking soda...still a little bit of a sour milk smell. :( Will keep trying suggestions...this was an expensive Stanley thermos.

Thank you!!
    False

I just did a search on how to get smells out of stainless steel, and I read that alcohol or hydrogen peroxide will work.
    I've never tried it so I don't know if it will work, but you could try if nothing else gets rid of the smell.
    False
    Try a few tablespoons of bleach and then fill it with water and let it sit over night, then clean it with a bottle brush and dish soap, and let us all know which solution works.
    False
    this info is from the Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean book. Maybe this will help.

To clean the inside of a thermos, fill with warm water and add 1 tsp. of chlorine bleach. Let soak 30-60 minutes and rinse well.
    False
    Electric dishwasher detergent works great. Just put some in, fill with hot water and let sit a few minutes.
    False
    Think I will try the peroxide next...really not a bleach fan (only for white clothes :)).

Will let you know how I make out. Thanks!!
    Ann
    False