Jelly came out to thin | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jelly came out to thin

Last post Oct 20, 2009 3:18 PM by emr . 1 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
  • Jelly came out to thin

All I can say is O M G. I can`t believe how long it took me to find an answer to my question "How to fix runny jelly?" I did a search on here and didn`t see anything so I googled it and after about an hour I found this.

Oh, I needed to find out because I made some beet jelly and it turned out more like beet nectar. And I found this on http://www.pickyourown.org/how_to_fix_runny_jam.htm

Step 1 -Determine how much jam or jelly needs to be remade

Measure the jam or jelly to be recooked. Work with no more than 4 to 6 cups at a time. Check all the jars from the batch - if one failed to set, most or all probably failed.  You can check by just turning them upside down and seeing how quickly the jam or jelly shlooshes* around in the jar. 
    (* - Shoosh - from the old German verb, "schushen" meaning to flop around like a freshly caught trout)

Add up the volumes of all the jars to be reworked, to figure out the size of the batch (in quarts) for step 2.

1 qt = 32 oz = 2 pints = four 8oz jars = eight 4oz jars).

Open the jars to be fixed and dump them all into a large pot.

Step 2 - Measure out additional pectin, water, sugar and lemon juice

If you are using powdered pectin:

For each quart of jam or jelly to be fixed, mix ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup water or white grape juice, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 4 teaspoons powdered pectin in a large pot. For the average batch of about 4 quarts total, that would be 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water or juice and about 1/4 cup lemon juice, plus about 1/2 box pectin, preferably the no-sugar variety.

If you are using liquid pectin:

For each quart of jelly, measure ¾ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons liquid pectin in a large pot.

Step 3 - Bring to a boil

Bring the pectin mixture to a boil while stirring. Add the jam jelly and bring to a rolling boil again, over high heat, stirring constantly.

Once it is a rolling boil, boil hard for 45 to 60 seconds (1 minute).

Step 4 - Remove, from heat, skim and fill the jars

Remove from heat, and quickly skim the foam off jam or jelly.

Fill sterile jars (automatic dishwashers often have a sterilize setting, otherwise, wash and dry and add 5 minutes to the processing time), leaving ¼-inch headspace. Adjust new lids (don't reuse the previous lids, they are single use) and...

Step 5 - Process in the water bath

... process as recommended in the table below.

Recommended process time for Remade Soft Jellies in a boiling-water canner.
      Process Time at Altitudes of
    Jar Size* 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
    Half-pints or pints 5 min 10 15

*Larger sizes are generally not recommended for jams and jellies

Lessons learned

If the jam was too runny, then next time you might want to add about 20% more pectin to start with, or make sure you bring to a full hard boil for 1 minute (not less, and not more than a few seconds longer).

If it was too thick, add a little less pectin, and/or a bit of fruit juice before you cook it!

False
  • Re: Jelly came out to thin

I was going to say that you could use it as syrup instead, not realizing that it was beet jelly! Probably not what you would pour on pancakes ...

I have to say that I'm intrigued by that, though. I've never heard of making jelly from beets. What do you serve it on or with?

False