What could I serve with potato soup for my company this weekend? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What could I serve with potato soup for my company this weekend?

Last post Aug 11, 2011 7:14 PM by mitzls . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What could I serve with potato soup for my company this weekend?
    Hi!

Making potato soup for Friday night when my family comes to visit. I don't have any idea of what to serve with it? Maybe some kind of sandwhich? I need something fast and easy or else something I can prepare the night before or stick in the crockpot. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Tia
    False
  • RE: What could I serve with potato soup for my company this weekend?
    Sandwiches would be good...but I would probably just toss a big salad--or do a layered salad--and serve some bread with it.
    False
    I usually serve a salad, and hot ham bites.
    Take the small deli rye bread, put a couple pieces of thinly sliced deli ham, cut into 4ths to fit ontop of bread. Then take a thinly sliced munster cheese, cut into 4ths, and place ontop of ham. Place under broiler until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
    False
    Ham sandwiches or even grilled cheese sandwiches.
    False
    Soup & Salad...Yum!

Have some crumbled bacon, sunflower seeds, croutons & sliced egg for toppings for the salad along w/a variety of dressings.
    False
    To keep it simple crusty french bread and a Seven-Layered salad would be geat with it. The salad can be made way ahead of time.

1 head lettuce chopped or romaine lettuce chopped
    l l/2 Cups shredded red cabbage
    3 sliced green onions
    l 1/2 Cups frozen petite peas
    2 c. Mirale Whip
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled or bacon bits
    1 l/2 Cups Shredded cheddar cheese

Layer mixed lettuce and cabbage, green onions and then frozen peas
    in 9 x 13 casserole dish.
    Spread Miracle Whip mixed with sugar over top. Then put shredded cheese on top of that and then the bacon.
    Cover with saran wrap.

Can be made the day before. Any other ingredients can be added according to your likes.(radishes, green pepper and etc)

Enjoy!!!!
    False
    How about toasted cheese sandwiches made with dark rye bread & swiss cheese? Add some fresh fruit or a Waldorf salad.
    False
    Rueben Sandwiches or Pastrami and Provolone on Rye. I like more hearty breads like Rye and Pumpernickel with potato soup :o)
    False
    You can make these ahead of time. Also, you can use frozen bread dough to make it easier on you too.

BEIROCKS

Serves: 12
    Effort: easy
    Comments: Recipe made up by LaDonna. I like to make up a whole bunch of these at one time and put in the freezer. They heat up so nicely.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs. lean ground beef
    2/3 c. chopped onion
    1 t. black pepper
    salt
    1 (1 lb.) pkg. cole slaw mix
    1 c. shredded mild shredded cheese

1 basic roll dough recipe:
    1 pkg. yeast
    1/4 c. warm water
    sprinkle of sugar
    1/4 c. melted shortening
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 c. scalded milk (microwave 2 min.)
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 t. salt
    3-1/2 c. flour

Instructions:
    Brown ground beef and onion until well done. Drain off grease. Add salt, pepper and cole slaw mix and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, occasionally.
    Then add cheese and stir until the cheese it melted.

Mix roll dough according to directions (look below). Make large roll and flatten to a 5" circle.

Put 1/3 c. mixture, or more, into center and bring up ends together firmly. Place pinched side down in pan. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. or until brown.
    Serve hot.

Basic roll dough recipe:
    Mix dry yeast, sprinkle of sugar & warm water. Let set 10 min.
    Combine milk, sugar, salt & shortening. Mix well. Add 1 1/2 c. flour. Beat well. Add yeast & egg. Mix well. Add remaining flour. Beating well. Make sure the flour pulls away from sides of bowl. If needed add a LITTLE flour at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pam bowl and put bread dough in it. Also lightly spray the bread with a non-stick cooking spray. Put in warm place, cover & let rise 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down then shape for beirocks.
    False
    Oops ran out of room, The Bierocks are a recipe from Candykisses (Ladonna)
    False
    how about Grilled Cheese Sans. you can add tomatoes or ham. Everone love this combo.
    ck1mmom
    False
    his is a TOH recipe, not sure when it was in the magazine.

Big Sandwich

Slice 8 in round or long Italian bread into 5 layers and layer the following.

1st layer:

2 tbsp horsradish (I left out)
    1/2 lb deli roast beef

2nd layer

Next slice of bread
    spread with 2 tbsp mustard
    top with 1/2 lb deli ham or turkey
    4 slices swiss cheese

3rd layer

next slice bread
    2 tbsp mayonnaise
    1 small tomatoe sliced thin
    6 bacon stips(the new heat and serve works great)

4th layer

add next layer bread
    top with 4 slices american cheese
    1 small onion (left this out)

5th layer

Now place the top of bread over all.
    Brush with 1/4 cup of butter and sprinke with sesame seeds and 1/2 tsp onion salt.
    Place on baking sheet with a heavy duty foil tent. Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 min. Slice into eight wedges or slices.

Now, when I make this I always use Italian bread, slice into 3 or four sections and add lib on layers.I know I put the american cheese with the bacon. It really doesn't matter how you layer because afer baking this it is just wonderful!!! Great on the grill too. I put the whole sandwich on heavy duty foil for easy clean up.

Dianne
    False
    When I make this for company, I just serve it w/ Italian Breadsticks. I think the recipe is over in the Breads section. If not, let me know, and I'll post it for you.
    False
    id say maybe bbq beef/pork (that you could keep in the crockpot), but potato soup is pretty heavy. i would serve a lighter sandwich and salad. one sandwich i want to try is the raspberry chicken sandwiches from a recent toh or qc. not exactly sure it would go with potato soup, but an example.

ooohhh-idea. i dont have the recipe. but you know those kind of sandwiches made with sliced loaves of french bread then you top them with meat, cheese, mayo etc and throw them in the oven? mite be a good idea with a ham and cheese version? put it together ahead of time then just throw in the oven right before serving.

False
    I usually serve egg salad sandwiches. It seems to be a favorite of ours.
    False