Please see this recipe and tell me about "white wine Worcestershire sauce". | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Please see this recipe and tell me about "white wine Worcestershire sauce".

Last post Apr 05, 2012 7:14 PM by jynx1951 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Please see this recipe and tell me about "white wine Worcestershire sauce".

I just found this recipe over on "Recipes From Farm Wives November 15, 2009.  I'd like to try it, but this is the first time I have ever heard of "white wine Worcestershire sauce".  Can it be used in other recipes just like regular (brown) Worcestershire sauce?  (If I'm buying a bottle of it for this recipe, I'd like to know that I could use it for other things, too.)  Thanks for any advice you can give me!

THREE-CHEESE SPREAD WITH ALMONDS
    1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 (8 oz) carton dairy sour cream
    1 tsp. paprika
    1 c. shredded process Swiss cheese (4 oz)
    2 oz. crumbled blue cheese (1/2 c)
    1 Tbsp. white wine Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 c. chopped almonds, toasted
    Crackers and/or party rye bread

Beat together all ingredients except nuts and crackers until light and fluffy. Cover; chill up to 24 hours. Stir in nuts just before serving. Serve with crackers. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

False
  • Re: Please see this recipe and tell me about "white wine Worcestershire sauce".

I've seen the white wine Worcestershire...I rarely use it.

It is a much diluted version of the regular (brown) Worcestershire.   So I would start by halves.  I would only add !/2 TBSP of the regular stuff.  Taste it.  Add more if needed.

Sorry I can't be more help

Cathy

False
  • Re: Please see this recipe and tell me about "white wine Worcestershire sauce".

I haven't seen it on the store shelves for a while now. From what I remember it tasted quite a bit different from the dark worcestershire sauce.

chefly

False

Thank you, Cathy and Chefly!  I was guessing that it tasted like regular brown Worcestershire, but was white, so it wouldn't darken the food's color.  From your replies, I see that such is not the case. 

False

posted by cllw

White Worcestershire sauce is a lighter blend of the classic sauce, made with Sauterne. If you can’t find white Worcestershire, make a substitute by mixing 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry, 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

False

I have seen this before, but have never tried it.  Now I am curious, Think I'll give it a try as sometimes the regular does give certain foods  a nasty unappealing color ~  Janie ~l

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Sounds intersting.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

****NOTE NEXT POST

Lea & Perrins recently created White Wine Worcestershire sauce.  It' s a zesty herb and spice marinade.  Thicker and lighter in color than the original, it is enlivened with the aroma of white sauterne wine.  The White Wine Worcestershire sauce is made to cling to chicken for basting in the oven, and it adds zest to any lighter fare  including fish, seafood, pork and vegetables.

The original Worcestershire sauce dates to 1835, when Lord Marcus Sandys, the Governor of Bengal, retired from India and returned home to Worcestershire in England. 

India is a land of different worlds wafting with the scents of chili, tamarind, cloves, cumin, coriander, cayenne and a myriad of other spices.  Indian food is famous for marinating chicken in aromatic vindaloos, and roasting it as spicy chicken kebabs, like Chicken Tikka; baking it covered as a Murg Massalm spiced chicken; or frying it up as Rustom Chicken, an exotic mixture of fried chicken with spices, ground almonds and roasted cashews. 

Missing Indian food, the governor asked local chemists John Lea and William Perrins to create a batch of his favorite sauce from a recipe from Bengal.  True to the original recipe, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is a barrel-aged blend of vinegar, molasses, anchovies, onions, garlic, tamarind, cloves, and chili peppers.  The rest, as they say, is history. 

Lea & Perrins not only made a sauce that took off like a Bengal tiger in England and made it back to India.  Throughout time, it has remained one of the most popular blends of spices in Indian cuisine, adding kick to everything from American burgers, and meat dishes world over, such as Indian kebabs and Swedish meatballs. 

The White Wine Worcestershire sauce is a reflection of America�s growing taste for eating light and experiencing the bold flavors of Indian food that are always aromatic, sometimes spicy and never bland.

http://www.quantifiedmarketing.com/press/old_favorite.php

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

From Recipe Link site:

I spoke with the Customer Service Rep from Heinz Foods from the number posted. Lea and Perins has changed the name of the product from "White Wine Worcestershire Sauce" to Marinade for Chicken with white wine and herbs. I was able to find it at our local grocer with this new information. Thanks for the number. Product Details

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I use this a lot and like it.. I think is has a better flavor than the regular sauce but just my opinion. I know that no one in my house know the difference if they do they have not said anything..

Barb

False

Thanks to everyone for your replies and very helpful advice!  I look forward to trying this recipe.

False

Alliea, Thank so much for all of the great information  ~  Janie ~ I will look for some today !~ Yes

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thanks Alliea!!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Thank you so much for this information .... I found a recipe for a Poppy Seed Dressing that called for the White Wine Worcestershire sauce and I had never heard of it. At the store the only thing I could find was the marinade. I didn't buy it, but will go back for it now that I know it is the same thing. YAY!!!

False