Recipes from Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes from Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes Cookbook

Last post Nov 18, 2009 9:52 PM by dnaleri . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Recipes from Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes Cookbook

Here is the first one I ever made and it has become a favorite, the comments from the readers:   Most lemon pies are either too runny or too rubbery, this one is perfect.  I've earned a reputation in my neighborhood as the most outstanding pie baker with this lemon pie.

Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie

1 1/2 cup sugar

11/2 cup water 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup cornstarch  1/3 cup water

4 eggs separated

1/2 cup lemon juice

3 T butter

1 tsp. grated lemon rind

1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 cup sugar

1 baked 9 inch pie shell

Combine 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp. salt in sauce pan, heat to boiling.  Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make a smooth paste.  Gradually add to the boiling  mixture, stirring constantly .  Cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat.   

Beat together egg yolks and lemon juice stir into mixtre.  Return to heat. Cook stirring constantly until mixture bubbles again .  Remove from heat . Stir in butter and lemon rind.  cover to lukewarm.

Combine egg whites and 1/4 tsp. salt in bowl : beat until frothy.  Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until glossy peaks form.  Stir 2 rounded tablespoons of the meringue into the luke warm lemon filling.  Pour into the baked pie shell.  Top with remaining meringue spreading evening to edge of pie. 

Bake in 325 oven 15 minutes or until lightly browned. 

Note I believe that the method of adding some Meringue to the filling makes it so perfect.      Shirley

False
  • Re: Recipes from Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes Cookbook

Here is my all time favorite, we call it piccalilly and it is just great on eggs in the morning and hamburgers or on any thing at all.   One of the comments from readers is so true" My husband always asks " how much is left in the cellar?

Grandmother's Shirley Sauce

12 large tomatoes

2 large green peppers chopped

2 large onions chopped

2 cups sugar

2 cups 5 % acid strength vinegar

2 T pickling salt

Peel and cup up tomatoes in small chunks, combine tomatoes and green peppers and onions, sugar, vinegar and salt in large kettle.  Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.  Immediately ladle into 3 hot sterilized pint jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from the top.  Adjust lids.  Process in boiling waterbath 5 minutes.  Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. 

Remove jars. cool on wire racks 12 to 24 hours.  Makes 3 pints

False

This cake has been the  most requested cake I ever made.  Moist and wonderful another comment:  It's a hearty cake that is always a favorite with our field crew" 

Shenandoah Valley Apple Cake

1 cup vegetable oil

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 1//4 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda

3 cups diced peeled apples

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 T. flour

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 cup brown sugar  firmly packed

1/4 cup milk

Beat oil, sugar eggs and vanilla in bowl at medium speed of electric mixer. about 3 minutes. 

Sift together 2 cups flour, salt and baking soda.  Gradually add dry ingredients to egg mixture, beating well after each addition.  Stir in apples, combine nuts with the  T of flour, add to batter.  Pour into greased and floured 13x9x2 baking pan.

Bake in 350 oven 1  hour or until cake tests done.  cool in pan on rack.

Combine butter, brown sugar and milk in saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils...Boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat spread at once on cake   ...

This is really moist but wonderful.      Shirley

False

Thank you Shirley for all 3 recipesYes Added all into my favorites

Linda

False
    Photobucket

This recipe is to die for.  I cut the oil down to 1/2 a cup.  Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

False

These all sound great.

False
    Oatmeal Chippers from Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes (There are many wonderful recipes in this book.) 1/2 C. butter or margarine 1/2 C. shortening 1 C. sugar 1 C. brown sugar, firmly packed 2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla 2 C. flour 1 tsp. soda 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. nutmeg 2 C. quick-cooking oats 1 (6 oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate chips 1 C. chopped nuts Cream shortening, adding sugars grad. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in dry ingred. Add oats, chips, and nuts. Drop about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake at 350-375 for 9-12 min. Cool on rack. Yield 7-8 doz.
    False

Thank you so much for posting these recipes. :)

False