~~ ISO recipe for Honey Baked Ham like what is found in the store..... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

~~ ISO recipe for Honey Baked Ham like what is found in the store.....

Last post Jan 22, 2010 7:55 PM by Pegg_KS . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • ~~ ISO recipe for Honey Baked Ham like what is found in the store.....

G'morning , My cousin wants to make a ham that tastes like the ham you buy in the Honey Baked ham store. I thought I had a recipe that was supposedto be that but I can't find it in my recipes. Could one of you great cooks bump it up for me. I've looked and looked and just dont' seem able to find it. Thanks so much, my cousin will be eternally grateful LOL Stick out tongue

False
  • Re: ~~ ISO recipe for Honey Baked Ham like what is found in the store.....

Hi, Deonia!  How have you been doing?  I located this recipe for you.

~~Vicki

=====================================

posted by Scrabbley

Honey-Glazed Ham Recipe by Michelle Jones

Instead of ordering an expensive ham for the holidays from your local gourmet store you can make your own honey baked ham at home and save a fortune! Here's how...

1 fully cooked ham
    1/2 c. packed brown sugar
    2-3 Tbs. honey

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Score top of ham with sharp knife, in a crisscross pattern. Cuts should be about a 1/2-inch deep.

Place ham on a rack in a shallow baking pan (or just straight in the pan if you don't have a rack yet) and cook for about 20 minutes per pound.

In a separate bowl, mix sugar and honey into a paste and brush on the top and sides of ham during the last hour of baking, repeating every 20 minutes.

Served warm or cold your guests won't be disappointed!

Note: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week. If you have a lot of ham leftover you might want to freeze several large slices in a freezer bag or container (I like to put up at least one serving large enough to feed our family a nice dinner). Just be sure to add a spoonful of the ham juices to the freezer bag and it will help them stay moist when reheating.

False

Top Secret Recipes version of
    HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze
    by Todd Wilbur

TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with the glaze - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It's this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 20 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during the holiday season.

For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that is pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. Get the kind that are used for crème brulee from almost any kitchen supply store. They're usually pretty cheap. And don't worry - I didn't leave out an ingredient. No honey is necessary to re-create this favorite holiday glaze. Happy Holidays!!

1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in
    (pre-sliced is best)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground clove
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

1. If you couldn't find a pre-sliced ham, the first thing you must do is slice it. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.

3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto wax paper and spread it around evenly.

4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer, pre-sliced surface.

5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on the plate. Use a blowtorch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but does not burn. Spin the plate so you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or reheated, just like the real thing.

Makes 1 holiday ham.

False

Hi Vickie, dong great, just got DSL, a pain right now but I know i'll like it as soon as i get used to it. This isn't the recipe i'm looking for, but thanks for giving it a whirl for me. I have the one Gaudry posted a few years back and it's good, but there is another one that , they say, tastes exactly like the one you get at the Honey BAked Ham store. Have a great day, and again , thanks for the Big Smileeffort.

False

You're welcome, Deonia. 

False

dutchmom4MI
    Top Secret Recipes version of
    HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze
    by Todd Wilbur

By jove girl, this is the one!! you're a peach! thanks so much for bumping it up for me. Love ya, Dee

False

Yippee!!!  Let me know how it turns out!

~~Vicki

False

OK, I think i'm going to try it this year too since i can still cook mine the way I usually do from a recipe for Moist Glazed ham that Cllw posted a couple of years ago. I've used it ever since. The ham is fantabulous made this way. here's the recipe in case anyone wants to try it.......My notes are at the bottom. I think this year i'll try putting it in a roasting bag after the brown sugar treatment. Then I won't have to be constantly basting it.I'll let ya know how that works too. Wink

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Here, let's see if this works Deonia

OK I found it! and here it is , it's, by far, the best ham I ever ate. This is a different Ham Recipe~Moist Glazed Ham

~ This is a different Ham Recipe~Moist Glazed Ham

~ Posted by: cllw Replies: 0 Posted on: 10/14/2007 11:36:51 AM #T896670

I haven't tried this, but I thought it looked interesting. I am curious as how sweet this would be with a pound of brown sugar! Linda

Moist Glazed Ham

Ingredients

a large whole ham

whole cloves

1 pound of brown sugar

one can of Classic Coke

burgundy wine

pineapple juice

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Remove the rind from a large whole ham and score the fat in the traditional diamond pattern.

Stud it heavily with whole cloves and place it in a large roaster. Pack One whole pound of brown sugar on to the top of the ham

just as thick and as high as you cant pack it. Dont worry about the part that falls off it will be left in the pan to melt into the glaze

Put this in the 400 degree oven for thirty to forty minutes until the brown sugar begins to melt.

Then pour one can of Classic Coke over the ham very gradually trying not to wash off the melting sugar. Reduce the oven temp to 325 degrees.

For the remaining basting you will use a mixture of half burgundy wine and half pineapple juice basting every 30 minutes for 4 hours.

Be sure to dip up the pan juices and spoon them back up over the top too. The idea is to keep the meat super moist for the whole time

it is cooking. You may "tent it" with foil the first 3 and a half hours and I always do if I have a lot going on and might become distracted

. This will be the best tasting ham you have every ate so be willing to devote a little extra time to it.

NOTES:After I made this exactly by the recipe I ammended it to.

I only used a couple of cups of brown sugar and about 1 cup each of wine and pineappe juice. But the secret is to make sure you keep basting it.

False
    Bumping for Easter.
    False

Wattle Paradise

Crockpot Ham (Cubbybear)

1 ham
    1 pkg. spiced cider mix

Sprinkle ham with cider mix. Wrap in foil. Cook on low all day. Tastes just like one of those “honey baked” hams.

pegg

False

pegg