Using frozen pie shells | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Using frozen pie shells

Last post Nov 27, 2009 6:31 AM by PeytonsMimi_NC . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Using frozen pie shells

I usually use the Pillsbury pie crusts for my pies. However, tomorrow I will be using the frozen ones already in the pie pan. I am making pumpkin pie..should I unthaw them before baking? I have never used them before.

False
  • Re: Using frozen pie shells

I don't know how others do it; but I always thaw mine before putting the filling in and baking.

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Hi, Bonnie!  When I've used frozen pie crusts, I let them come to room temperature before baking.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

~~Vicki

False

Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy!

~~Vicki

False

Thanks for the replies. I shall take them out of the freezer tonight. Happy Thanksgiving to you Vicki and you too Nancy. :) 

False

I have always used my own pie crust recipe but today I used the NO ROLLING PIN REQUIRED!!recipe. It is called Penzy's No Roll Pie Crust. I don't know who posted it but it is so easy and was fantastic! I made 2 pecan pies today and tomorrow I will make a Bumbleberry Pie and I will use that pie crust recipe again. What I like about it is mixing it up in the pie plate!

False
     Click for Kenai, Alaska Forecast

Karen could you post this pie crust? I get the Penzey catalog but must have been in their magazine? Thank you!

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

Marlene - I'm not Karen but I thought I'd try googling the Penzey pie crust recipe and here's what I found.  I think I'll try it myself next time I need one.  I've already used the Pillsbury ones for my Thanksgiving pies today.

No Roll Pie Crust    (from Penzey's website)

This is truly the easiest pie crust you will ever make. Mix it right in the pie plate, no bowl and no rolling! It is very flaky and you can use this whenever you are making a single crust pie.

• 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 tsp. sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 Cup oil (we used canola)
    • 3 TB. milk

Put all ingredients into a 9-inch pie pan. Mix with a fork until well blended and pat into the pan. Push the pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with your thumb and finger. Prick the crust with a fork to prevent bubbling of the pastry during baking.

False

Thank you Peytons Mimi~ Do appreciate you looking this up. Never thought to google it!! I do a lot of pie crusts so would be nice to try a quick one once in awhile.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

You are very welcome Marlene!  I've never used oil in a pie crust - but I'm willing to try it, as it would be a time saver to mix it right in the pie plate!  :)

False