How do you make your hamburger steak? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you make your hamburger steak?

Last post Jul 02, 2004 10:46 PM by fjp . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How do you make your hamburger steak?
    I would love some good hamburger steak recipes. I saw a recipe on here a couple weeks ago where I think they just seasoned the ground beef and then coated the patties with flour before frying. I don't remember whether they used eggs or cracker crumbs in the meat mixture. Seems like it was Cubbybear's recipe but I couldn't find it in the search. All recipes would be welcome. I love everything made with hamburger.
    False
  • RE: How do you make your hamburger steak?
    bumpimg up. This sounds really good.
    False
    Thank you so much Starshineeliz for copying this for me. For some reason or another I just couldn't get the search thingey to work for me tonight. I really do appreciate it and am anxious to try it.
    Thanks, too, Inzpooper for bumping it for me.
    Have a good night.
    False
    I think this is what you are talking about.

1# ground chuck
    1/4# saltine crackers crushed
    1 egg
    1/4 c milk
    1 small onion chopped
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and shape into patties. Fry in small amount of oil till nice and brown. Open a jar (did i say a jar??) of gravy and pour over patties and simmer for 20 min. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles.

My boys love this. It is one of the first recipes my new daughter-in-law asked for.
    False
    This one is delicious! Serve it for company, and they always ask for the recipe!

Poor Man's Steak

3 pounds hamburger, lean
    1 cup fine cracker crumbs
    1 cup canned milk (may use regular milk)
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    minced onion

Mix crackers & milk. Let stand until well soaked. Mix with hamburger, onions, salt, & pepper. Press out flat into two 9 x 13 pans. Let stand in the refrigerator all night.

Cut into serving pieces (approx. 8 to a pan), roll in flour. Brown on both sides.

Dilute 2 cans soup with 1 can of water and mix well. Pour over top of browned meat & bake one hour at 350 degrees.

If you want to use the sauce as gravy, you can add more soup before baking.
    If you want the sauce more brown in color, add a little Kitchen Bouquet.

My Mom cooks this all day in the crock pot.

False
    False
    Both of these recipes sound good. They both would be easy to make and that is the best part. I think I've seen recipes like the Poor Man's Steak in an old Amish cook book and thought it sounded interesting and different but have not tried it yet. Thanks to both of you for posting them.
    False
    SMOTHERED HAMBURGER STEAKS

1 lb lean ground round
    1/2 cup waer
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    3 medium onions, sliced
    1 can beef gravy

Mix ground beef, water, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Mold into 4 large patties. In a large skillet, brown hamburger steaks on one side, turn, and sliced onions, and brown lightly. Add gravy, cover, simmer for about 40 minutes.
    Makes 4 servings.

These are really good and very easy to make.
    False