Has anyone ever made cold cereal from scratch? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Has anyone ever made cold cereal from scratch?

Last post Dec 03, 2009 11:39 AM by ctmom05 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Has anyone ever made cold cereal from scratch?

I would like to try making homemade cold cereal from scratch.  Most of the recipes I've found have been for granola type cereals and I am looking for something different than that.

Any suggestions?

False
    Chris
  • Re: Has anyone ever made cold cereal from scratch?

I mix Oats groats, Barley pearls, and rye when I can get it together in equal parts. cover with water  +one inch. put a glass lild on so I can see that the water doesn't  go dry ( adding more boiling water if it gets below the cereal.)Bring to a  boil, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. Then I turnthe heat off. and with the lid still on, let it sit overnight. I like it at room temp or cooler with sliced peaches.

We had a discussion about a year ago about these cereals and Chefly had some really good ideas too. I just can't remember the name of the post to pull it up for you.

I havn't been here in a while, but if she's still posting here, she'll check in and give you a lot more ideas.

False

Are you talking about making cereals such as cornflakes and other commercial dry cereals?

If so I doubt thet you can do it unless you cook it forst, then let it get cold and run it through a pasta machne (those machines that extrude the dough through in differnt shapes) and then dehydrate it.

I think it would be just as , if not morecostly to do it than just buying cold cereal in bulk. Plus it would be very labor intensive.

I prefer warm cereal such as oatmeal, brown rice, buckwheat (real good with brown sugar), millet, milo (milo= sorghum grain) and even soft whole wheat.

Find a good book about cooking with grains. I have one I bought quite a few years ago, the author has passed away and the book may be out of print but you may find a copy on amazon.

The title is:

The Grains Cookbook

By Bert Greene,

Firt printing in 1988

Workman Publishers.

This book is not only full of recipes, but also informs you about the orign and history of each grain and the author tells it all with interesting andoften humerous little stories. I hghly recoomend the book.

My copy is a large 7" X 9" thick paperback with  403 pages.

False
    gr_elo,

An example of the type of cereal recipe I am looking for is homemade grape nuts, which is not particularly labor or time intensive; plus I enjoy making things from scratch.

False
    Chris

Pretty sure I saw a recipe for that in The Tightwad Gazette.  (love that book!)  Will look for it and if I find it will post the recipe.

kathleen

False
    ctmom05
    gr_elo,

An example of the type of cereal recipe I am looking for is homemade grape nuts, which is not particularly labor or time intensive; plus I enjoy making things from scratch.

You could have mentioned you were looking for a recipe for Grape Nuts and I would not have answered.

When someone says "cold cereal" the first thing that come to my mind are the most popular ones you see in the supermarket.  Sorry I didn't guess what you wanted. 

If you like to make things from scratch you should come and visit me some time. I could use some help at times since I have been doing it for many decades; don't even buy lunch meats or prepared foods, grind my own flour, bake my own bread and also do a lot of canning and dehydrating,  make yogurt, cottage cheese and a few other odds and ends.

False

This website has a 'grape nuts' recipe, just c/p;
    • www.grouprecipes.com/34622/home-made-grape-nuts.html

False
    All things are possible but trust God for the best for you. -Karen Y.

I've posted this 2-3 times to little notice, but here it is again. (The link didn't work for group recipes.My recipe is copied from my cookbook so I know it is accurate.)12/3/09

Mother's Grape Nuts from "More-With-Less" Cookbook 1976
    by me as Spring04 - recovered this before I lost track of it.I still have the cookbook.I've made this recipe numerous times. Posted on: 4/18/04 #R3490277 lin_65
    "Years ago I bought a Mennonite cookbook with a recipe for making grapenuts, and considering how expensive they were then, and even more so now, to cook and bake with for a huge family, I would make up a batch and mix it with the real ones to stretch the cost; my kids never knew the difference.They loved Grapenuts for breakfast, perhaps others will enjoy having this recipe.I used a food grinder for mine.Don't store too long at room temps. as it will get rancid. I would suggest freezing it or putting in vacuum-sealed bags in fridge. Also, just a thought, a health food store that sells by bulk instead of those places with shelves full of pills, and also some markets, have loads of dried fruits of just about any type you'd want, and would make a great addition" lin_65 12/3/9

Mother's Grape Nuts

3 cups graham or whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1 cup brown sugar or 3/4 cup corn syrup
    2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
    1 tsp. soda
    Pinch salt

Heat oven to 350º.Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl.Spread out on 2 large greased cookie sheets (with sides).Bake 25-35 minutes.Crumble by one of these methods:
    a. While still warm, break into chunks and grate on slaw cutter, or whirl briefly in blender, about a cupful at a time.
    b. Allow to cool thoroughly, then put through food grinder, coarse plate.
    Crisp at 250º 20-30 minutes.Store in airtight container.Eat with milk.No added sugar needed.
    Option: Omit wheat germ and increase flour by 1/2 cup.
    Makes 2-1/2 pounds.
    lin_65/blueridge_va.

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I appreciate the feedback.

I wasn't necessarily looking for  Grape Nuts type recipe; that's simply what turned up when I did my search.

gr_elo, it sounds like I would really enjoy hanging around with you, and I'd learn a lot, too!
    The recipes offered for a homemade grape nuts cereal were pretty much the same as what I used; in fact - it's in the oven baking now.

I am still interested in looking at more cold cereal recipes, if they are out there.

False
    Chris