R &R CELEBRATION CAKE from Bon Appetit magazine | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R &R CELEBRATION CAKE from Bon Appetit magazine

Last post Dec 03, 2009 8:49 AM by carol1229 . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • R &R CELEBRATION CAKE from Bon Appetit magazine

I don't know what possessed me to think I could do this, but I did.  I found my 12" cake pan at a kitchen gadget shop, right here in my small, central Arkansas town.  This cake is incredibly moist and flavorful.  The last time I made it, I had enough frosting left over so that the left overs could get frosted on the sides!  2 cakes in one!  I don't know how much of this I can fit into one page, but here goes.  Lynn in Cabot

CELEBRATION CAKE

Tips: At several points in the recipe, things have to be chilled before you can proceed, so plan accordingly.  The whole cake can be completely assembled and frozen for up to one week.  (28 servings)

Filling

1 cup sugar

6 egg yolks

6 T cornstarch

1 ½ T grated orange peel

3 cups orange juice

½ cup whipping cream

1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened

Whisk sugar and yolks in heavy large saucepan to blend.  Whisk in cornstarch and orange peel.  Gradually add orange juice and cream, whisking to blend well.  Set pan over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until cream thickens and boils, about 8 minutes.  Pour into bowl.  Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of pastry cream to prevent skin from forming.  Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.

Beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy.  Beat in pastry cream, 1 cup at a time, scraping bottom and sides of bowl occasionally.  Cover, refrigerate until cold.  (Can be made 1 day ahead.  Keep refrigerated.)

Soaking Syrup & Frosting

2 ½ cups sugar

1 cup water

1 ¾ cups orange juice, DIVIDED

2 T grated orange peel

4 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened

½ cup unsalted butter, softened

1 ¼ cups powdered sugar

1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

Stir sugar and water in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.  Increase heat; boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 20 minutes.  Remove pan from heat.  Immediately add 1 ¼ cups o.j. and peel (mixture will bubble vigorously).  Stir over low heat until any hard bits dissolve and caramel comes to boil.  Strain into 2 cup glass measuring cup.

Pour 1 cup caramel into small bowl; reserve for frosting.  Mix remaining ½ cup o.j. into remaining caramel in measuring cup; reserve as soaking syrup.  Cover caramel in small bowl and soaking syrup separately; refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy.  Gradually beat in 1 cup caramel reserved fro frosting, then powdered sugar and vanilla.  (Can be made 1 day ahead.  Cover; chill.  If necessary, let stand at room temp until just spreadable before using.  (con't)

False
  • Re: R &R CELEBRATION CAKE from Bon Appetit magazine

Cake

(1/3 of these ingredients is used for each of the three layers.)

1 cup whole milk

3 T unsalted butter

6 tsp vanilla extract

4 cups cake flour

3 tsp baking powder

¾ tsp salt

9 large eggs

4 cups sugar

Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350º.  Butter 12” by 2” round cake pan; line with parchment paper; butter paper; dust pan with flour.  (?)  LOL, never noticed that before)

Bring 1/3 cup milk and 1 T butter to simmer in small saucepan.  Remove pan from heat; add 2 tsp vanilla.  Cover pan.  Sift 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt into medium bowl.  Using electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs in large bowl until frothy, about 1 minute.  Gradually beat in 1 1/3 cups sugar.  Continue to beat egg mixture until light colored and thick enough to fall in heavy ribbons when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes.  Pour milk mixture over egg mixture.  Using whisk, gently stir until just blended.  Add flour mixture.  Gently stir with whisk until just blended (do not overmix; batter may deflate)/  Pour batter into prepared pan. 

Bake until tester in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.  Transfer pan to rack and cool 10 minutes.  Line cake rack with paper towels.  Dust towels generously with powdered sugar.  Cut around pan sides; turn cake out onto sugared towels.  Peel off parchment.  Cool cake completely. 

Repeat 2 more times, using same amount of each ingredient to make 2 more layers.

Assembly & Decoration

Place 1 cake layer on 11” tart pan bottom; brush with ½ soaking syrup.  Spread with half of filling (about 3¾ cups).  Place in freezer until filling is firm, about 15 minutes.  Top with second cake layer; brush with ½ cup soaking syrup.  Spread with remaining filling.  Place in freezer until filling is firm, about 15 minutes.  Top with third cake layer; brush with remaining soaking syrup.  Spread 2 cups frosting thinly over top and sides of assembled cake to cover completely.  Refrigerate until frosting is firm, about 1 hour. 

Spoon 1 cup frosting into pastry bag fitted with small (scant ¼”) star tip.  Spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake.  Pipe frosting in bag decoratively on top and sides of cake.  (Can be prepared ahead.  Refrigerated until frosting is firm, at least 5 hours; cover loosely and keep refrigerated up to 1 day.  Or freeze until frosting is firm, about 2 hours; cover and keep frozen up to 1 week.  Defrost covered cake in refrigerator for 2 days.  Place cake on large platter.  Arrange fruit decoratively atop cake. 

To cut cake, start 2” inward and insert knife straight down; cut 8” diameter circle in center of cake.  Starting 2” in from 8” circle and inserting knife straight down, cut 4” diameter circle in center of 8” circle.  Cut outer portion of cake into 16 slices; 8” circle into 8 slices, and inner circle into 4 wedges.  Serve.

* A 12” diameter cake pan is available at cookware stores or from Jane’s Cakes & Chocolates, 800-262-7630

False

Wow Lynn,that`s quite a cake.I would have loved to seen and help you eat it.

Thanks for sharing.
     G m to you.Coffee
     Rosie

False

It sure IS quite the cake, Lynn!  Congratulations for conquering this one.....I would have seen the length of the recipe and run for the hills!

I'm sure it looked AND TASTED wonderful!

Thanks for taking the time to share the recipe.

Carol

False