Rec./Pics.....Soft Oat Rolls...a great addition to dinner...... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec./Pics.....Soft Oat Rolls...a great addition to dinner......

Last post Jan 29, 2010 5:44 AM by Alliea . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Rec./Pics.....Soft Oat Rolls...a great addition to dinner......

As a rule, I like to have some kind of bread or roll with soup or stew....it's something my Nana always did....my Mom always did....and now I do.  Besides...it gives me a good excuse to try new roll recipes because I LOVE to make bread. 
    I had planned to make one recipe I've been wanting to try...go figure, I was missing one ingredient...good thing I realized it early in the afternoon so I had time to go looking for PLAN B. 
    I found this recipe and thought it sounded really good.  It goes together in no time...you don't even need a mixer-it all can be done by hand.  The only change I made is I used bread flour rather than all-purpose flour.  I also lightly brushed the tops of the baked rolls with melted butter right when they came out of the oven.
    The one thing I would do different the next time is form the dough into rolls and make them in a cake pan rather than a cookie sheet.  That's my preference...I like the rolls that rise high instead of spread out.  
    Having said that......OH MY are these delicious! I was a little concerned as to how soft they'd be, given they had no milk in them....well the oats stepped in and did the trick. They live up to the "soft" title for sure....they're a little sweet-not overly so-and VERY soft and tender. THey're wonderful warm, but I'm sure they'd be equally as good cold. We both really liked them....they were a perfect side kick for the Steak and Tater soup.
    If you're looking for a nice roll to accompany your meal, this is a great one for sure.
    I have plenty for the freezer and a few on the counter to go with the leftover soup. 
    This recipe is going into my favorites file for sure!

Carol

SOFT OAT ROLLS
    (Source: Best of Country Breads cookbook)

2/3 c. quick-cooking oats
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 c. boiling water
    1 (1/4 oz.) pkg. active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
    1/2 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
    1 egg, beaten
    3 1/2-4 c. all-purpose flour (I use bread flour-these took about 3 cups)

In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, sugar, butter and salt.  Stir in boiling water; cool to 110-115 degrees.

Dissolve yeast in warm water; stir into oat mixture with egg and enough flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/2" thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2" biscuit cutter. Place 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake @ 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. (I lightly brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter right when they come out of the oven.) Remove from pans to wire racks.  Serve warm.  Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

False
  • Re: Rec./Pics.....Soft Oat Rolls...a great addition to dinner......

These look fantastic - printed to try.  Pictures and all!!

Kathleen

False

I hope you enjoy them Kathleen....we sure did!

Carol

False

Oh my !!Carol those are beauties.

Thank you for sharing.
     G m to you.
     Rosie

False

Even though my stomach wants to eat one My eye won't let me see them ~  lol ~  Must recover from the Spinach and Parm Bread  ~  awesome

Thanks  Carol,  lovely  Janie  hiya  Rosie ~ 

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

They do look & sound good.

Thanks for posting!

False

Hi Carole,

Those rolls looks sooooo good!  I am going to have to give those  a try.

Deb

False

Good afternoon Rosie........oh these are too good............I shoved them in the freezer REAL quick. They'd be WAY too tempting on the counter.

Hi Janie.....it's rough isn't it?  Around here, my eyes say YES..............my scale says..............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  I'm still thinking about that Spinach and Parmesan bread of yours............mmmmmmm.........

Thank you pepmint and Deb....I hope you'll give them a try....I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Carol 

False

Well YUM! Do you know if I can substitute whole wheat flour?  Substituting WW flour is  kind of formulary to do isn't it?????

False

Hi dreyfuss!

I made these for the first time yesterday so honestly?...I really can't advise you as to whether or not you can substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour.  I know I've read in a lot of cookbooks that usually it's better to substitute part of the white flour with whole wheat....

Found this on recipezaar...

When used in bread baking, whole wheat flour gives a nutty flavor and a denser texture when compared to all-purpose flour. Bread does not rise as high in whole-wheat breads, which is why a mixture of both whole-wheat and white flour is often used when baking.

Whole-wheat flour usually can be substituted for part or all of the all-purpose flour in most recipes. If a recipe calls for two cups flour, try one cup all-purpose and one cup whole-wheat. When completely substituting whole-wheat for white, use 7/8 cup whole-wheat for one cup of white flour.

I've also read that bread recipes using all whole wheat flours are very heavy......so that always steered me away from using all whole wheat flour....having said that-I did find a recipe that works well with all whole wheat flour-the bread is a little heavier than white bread which is to be expected. 

I guess all you can do is try replacing some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat and see what happens?

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you!  All I can say is these rolls made the way the recipe is written are really really good.....soft and very light.

Carol
    False

Thanks Carol for looking up all that information.  I usually make everything as stated in the recipe for the first time, lol and then I experiment!  I think my DIL would love this recipe.  Thanks again!

False

Stick out tongue Carol, you have been posting some real winners lately!

arabella

False

Those look awesome.

Thanks Carol! ~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I do the same dreyfuss....especially with baking.  The only thing I may change up is extract or something...when it comes to leavening and that....I'm chicken to go switching things around.  I do substitute bread flour in yeast bread if the recipe calls for all-purpose flour because I really like the texture of the finished bread.....

Hi Arabella and Alliea....thanks so much for the nice compliments....I hope you'll give these rolls a try!

Carol

False

These are picture perfect.  They look so good bet they were fantastic with dinner.

I like Dreyfus' idea about the wheat flour. Oh boy, I bet Bob was one happy guy!!

Cyndy

False

Never Judge Anyone by the opinion of Others.

No regrets, Live your life as you please, not as others want you to