Recipes for homemade biscuits and sausage gravy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes for homemade biscuits and sausage gravy

Last post Jan 22, 2010 11:38 AM by 4J2C1B . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Recipes for homemade biscuits and sausage gravy

Okay, I've been saying for years that this is my DH's favorite so I really need to attempt to make it for him.  My one friend says she just fries up sausage, seperates it from the grease, sprinkles a light layer of flour over the grease and lets it absorb for a minute or to, then stirs it up, add a touch of milk and bring to a boil until thickened.  Sound right?

And the biscuits...I would love to make a good homemade breakfast biscuit.  Any recipes for ones you like?  His only request when it comes to biscuits is that the bottoms don't get real brown. Other than that, he's pretty easy to please.

So what do you think?

False
  • Re: Recipes for homemade biscuits and sausage gravy

Hi    Here is my tried and true Biscuit recipe and as for the sausage gravy that is just about the way I do mine.  I am a gal from the North so I bet my Southern friends make a wonderful gravy.  I do  keep browning the flour and grease until it turns a nice brown and then add milk and wisk until smooth and return the sausage to the gravy.

Buttermilk buscuits

3 cups flour

2 tsp. salt

2  T. baking powder

1 stick unsalted butter chilled and cubed

1 cup buttermilk          preheat oven to 325

Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.  Using a pastry cutter   or your finger tips, work athe butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course meal (like when  you make a pie crust)   Add the buttermilk and mix lightly to form a soft dough.(the dough should be gooey but not wet)

Turn the dough onto a lilghtly floured surface, sprinkle with additional flour and roll to about 1/2 in. thick.  Cut into about 10 biscuits using a round cutter or a glass about 2  inches in diameter.  Arrange the biscuits about 1 in. apart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until risen and golden brown  about 15 minutes.  Set on a rack to cool or just cut and butter while warm.   I  know this will  probably drum me out of the BB but sometimes in a rush I use Grands biscuits.  

False

Thanks much!  We used canned bisuits and rolls all the time as I've never mastered bread/biscuit making!  (Ask Footsie!!!  lol)

I want to try it the old fashioned way for:

1.  I know DH will love it

2.  Just to prove to myself I can do it!

Thanks again for the recipe!

False

These are tried and true.

Wheeler's Milk Gravy
    1/4 c pan drippings
    1/4 c flour
    2 1/2 - 3 c milk
    1/2 t salt
    1/8 - 1/4 t black pepper

Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from the pan; place pan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until browned. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.

Notes: The drippings can be whatever you prefer, for example, bacon, sausage, poultry or a mixture of these and butter. For sausage, add the sausage at the same time you add the milk and heat until thickened.

Wheeler's Biscuits
    3 c King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising
      Flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/4 t baking soda
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 c (1 stick) cold butter
    3/4 - 1 c buttermilk

Place flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; mix well. Cut in butter. Add buttermilk; toss with fork until buttermilk is absorbed. For moister biscuits, add extra buttermilk until dough is quite wet. Roll dough out to a 1-inch thickness. Cut into biscuits; place on ungreased baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter or buttermilk for shiny crust, if desired. Bake 12-14 minutes at 450° or until golden brown. Remove from oven; serve warm.

Yields 6 large biscuits or 12 small-to-medium biscuits.

Note: The key is the flour. I place a pat of butter on the biscuits prior to baking. Yum!

False

I use 1 can of evaporated milk in my sausage gravy, plus a cup or more of regular milk.

False