SOS!?! Overcooked Caramel~ Please HELP!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

SOS!?! Overcooked Caramel~ Please HELP!!!

Last post Jan 28, 2010 3:45 PM by Cabot . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • SOS!?! Overcooked Caramel~ Please HELP!!!

My first attempt at making caramels did not turn out well!

:(

It was an "easy" microwave caramel recipe and I kept zapping the mixture until it finally reached 245 degrees, but after cooling, it is just one big 9x13 pan of almost hard caramel. As is, it will pull out fillings!

Is there any way to salvage it and use it somehow in something?!? I have to bake 3 sweet things in the next 2 days for friends, so I am open to suggestions as to how to use it  from all you candy makers and bakers out there!

Thanks in advance!

:)

Ellen

False
  • Re: SOS!?! Overcooked Caramel~ Please HELP!!!

When I have overcooked caramel, I put it in a saucepan and add a little water or milk or cream and heat it slowly.  Depending on how much liquid you add as to how soft it is.  I've made caramel dip for apple slices by adding more liquid.  I like it soft and eat off a spoon.  NOT GOOD for the waist, but easy on the teeth.

Jeanie

False

Ellen, o no!  I like Jeanie's idea, but I would definitely use half & half, I think!  Yum....you DO know my address, right?  :)  No need to send the spoon, I have my own, lol.

False

I have been making caramel for years and this past year I tried the microwave method for the first time. Like you mine turned out to hard. I will never try that again. It may take more time to cook them on the stove but that is the only way I will do them from now on. I threw the microwave recipe away.

False

Thank you, Jeanie & Debbie! The reheating worked & I will not try the microwave method again!

Learned my lesson!

And as for you, Miss Cream Cheese, good call on the half & half! Now that the caramel is soft and creamy, you bring the ice cream and we'll have some wicked sundaes!!!

;)

Ellen

False

Hello, Miss Ellen.  I'm sitting here drumming my fingers, waiting for someone to post the STOVETOP method.  LOL.  Hope you get all your sweets done and delivered to the right places in time.  Lynn

False

Hey there, Miss Lynn!! I was hoping you'd pipe in here!

Big Smile

Today I used some "melted" caramel to drizzle over a penuche frosted applesauce spice cake. The Birthday Girl recipient said it was a very nice touch!

I might repeat the same cake for our Library Director tomorrow~he has taken a new job and I promised him a "going away" treat!

Finally, tomorrow night, we are playing cards with our friends and I'm taking a yet to be announced dessert...but you can bet it will involve caramel!!!

In the meantime, I've re-melted all of the rock-hard caramel & poured it into a pan, in hopes of a soft caramel result....the saga continues...

Wink

Ellen

False

Oh! And here is a stovetop recipe that has the same ingredients I used in the microwave~

Cinnamama's recipe reviewed by Carolina Cooker!

:)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Caramels by  cinnamama-If you’d like to taste a little bit of heaven, give these a try. I made a half batch of this recipe yesterday and all I can say is “wow”!!! The candy is soft, buttery, and full of true caramel flavor. The only thing that I did differently was to add a combo of coarsely chopped pecans and walnuts to the original recipe. Thanks, Debbie, for sharing this one!

2 cups real butter
    2 pound package dark brown sugar
    dash salt
    2 cups corn syrup
    2 14 or 15-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts and/or pecans, optional (carolinacooker)

Melt butter in heavy pan. Add sugar and salt. Stir thoroughly. Stir in corn syrup. Mix well. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture reaches a gentle boil, again, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat to firm ball stage, 245ºF, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large, heavily buttered cookie sheet with sides. Cool and cut into squares. Wrap individual pieces in plastic or waxed paper.  I stored them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (carolinacooker)

False

OK Boomer Sooner posted this one.  I didn't post a review because I took it to a potluck at the zoo and it didn't survive the trip and the wait until time to eat.  (About 2 hours)  If you try it, keep it cold until time to eat.  Whatever you do, it will be OK.  Lynn

CARAMEL PIE

1 baked 9" pie crust

1 T flour

1 T cornstarch

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups milk

3 egg yolks

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 T butter

25 candy caramels, melted, or equivalent resuscitated, home made in MW

In sauce pan, heat milk.  Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar.  Add gradually to milk and whisk well.  Add caramels and egg yoks.  Cook until thick.  Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla.  Cool and pour intio pie shell.  Cover with your favorite meringue; place in oven and brown.

False