Sopapilla Cheesecake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Last post Mar 24, 2013 2:38 PM by grandia102 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Sopapilla Cheesecake

I have not had the chance to try this Yet But I sure plan to! it is getting raves on several of the other boards I visit

Sopapilla Cheesecake (basic recipe)

2 cans Crescent Rolls (Reg. size)**Note--now they have a larger size available also..Might
    make a bigger cake and then you can use the 16 oz of C.C. and,
    maybe, a 9x13 pan)
    1-8oz package cream cheese--softened
    1 c. sugar
    1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

-Spread one can of Crescent Rolls on bottom of 8x12 pan.
    (This size works best! The layers fit just right!)
    -Pre-bake bottom layer for 5-8 min. (It helps it set a bit and it won’t be as moist).
    -Blend cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with mixer until light.
    -Spread cream cheese mixture, evenly, on the bottom layer of dough.
    -Take the other package of rolls and place them on top of the cream cheese.
    -Melt ¾ stick butter and drizzle, evenly, over top layer.
    -Sprinkle top with mixture of 1/2c. sugar and 1 tsp. Cinnamon.
    -Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Let “set” until partially cooled. Cut up in small squares
    Very good served warm, but can also be refrigerated for later use--or frozen.
    This is a VERY easy desert to make! Have fun and “eat up” all the compliments!

VARIATIONS:

1-Use TWO-8oz packages of Cream Cheese and the 1-cup sugar and the 1 tsp. Vanilla-- for more filling. Less sweet still tastes good! Someone used “Splenda” and it turned out OK. Hmmm! Not sure on this….

2-Add some fruit pie filling on top of the cream cheese, like apple or cherry. If using well-drained, crushed pineapple—mixed it into the Cream Cheese. Then cover with the second layer of Crescent rolls. If using cherry, omit the Cinnamon.

3-You can use ONLY pie filling. No cream cheese at all! Saves a lot of calories…If using ONLY fruit, you can cut the second layer of dough into strips and do a “lattice-like” top layer. Sprinkle with sugar mix, as usual.

4-Some have experimented with some kind of meat mixture inside. Lots of possibilities here!!! Some have made a kind of breakfast omelet out of this. Use your imagination! Eggs…Swiss cheese….Sausage…etc.

5-One person used the individual, triangular pieces of the rolls, cleverly folded into a triangle and then put the filling in the middle and folded it over again to form a smaller triangle (kind of envelope like). Brush tops with butter, sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mix and bake for 15-18 minutes at 350.

Sopapilla Cheesecake Fruit Variations
    apple pie filling
    apricot pie filling
    bananas and pecans (Bananas Foster)
    blueberries and raspberries
    cherries/cherry pie filling, delete cinnamon
    cranberry sauce
    lemon pie filling, delete cinnamon, add lemon zest
    pineapple, crushed, drained, small can
    pumpkin
    raspberry preserves
    strawberry jam

Other Variations
    Hershey's syrup swirled in cream cheese
    homemade custard
    empanadas
    browned lb. pork sausage, chopped peppers, delete sugar, vanilla, cinnamon
    veggie pizza
    sausage and apples
    almond extract, delete vanilla extract
    topping - egg white, 1/2 c. chopped peanuts
    sausage, onion, gr. peppers, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, delete sugar, vanilla, cinn.

Method Variations
    top layer - use pastry cutter to make lattice top
    pre-bake bottom 5-10 minutes to avoid soggy bottoms
    use 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese for a thicker filling
    chilled dough is easier to work with
    room temp or slightly nuked cream cheese can be mixed by hand

False
  • Re: Sopapilla Cheesecake

Hi Canada60;

I have this recipe in a few of my cookbooks here but haven't tried it yet.  My Goodness...look at all the information and wonderful variations you've shared.  I'm copying all of this valuable post and saving it for the day I do make it.  I have heard that this is delicious.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all of this.....now I REALLY wanna try it!  :)

Carol

False

I make this and it is one of the best things in all the world!!!  What I do, though, is when you take it out of the oven, pour 1/4 c. of honey over the top.  It comes out of the oven kind of "goopy" on top, so you'd think the honey would make it even worse, but in just a short time the top turns into this wonderful, crunchy topping.

False

Sounds like a good snack for when our grandkids come for the weekend.   MMMMMMMMMMMM 

Thanks for posting.

False

will try this recipe because it looks real easy to make.

of course this a DESSERT  not  DESERT!      desert is where the camels hang out.

False