REC & PIC: Creamed Beef On Toast aka Sh-- On A Shingle | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC & PIC: Creamed Beef On Toast aka Sh-- On A Shingle

Last post Feb 03, 2010 5:35 PM by Pegg_KS . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • REC & PIC: Creamed Beef On Toast aka Sh-- On A Shingle

SOS (Creamed Beef On Toast)

1 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbls. butter
    2 tbls. flour
    1-3/4 cup milk (maybe a little more)
    6 oz. package thin beef (I use Buddig brand)
    Toasted bread
    Salt to taste

Melt butter in pot with olive oil. Add flour and whisk until not lumpy. Add milk and salt and stir as it thickens. You don't want it to thick, maybe like a gravy and if it does thicken to much, add a little more milk. Once it is to your desired thickness add slices of beef and heat until warm. Serve on toasted bread.

This is the beef I used:

False

• Re: REC & PIC: Creamed Beef On Toast aka Sh-- On A Shingle

Oh if I had a nickel for every time I've made this! My husband has it every Friday morning for breakfast! LOL

I use Buddig beef, too. I shred it with my fingers and saute it in butter first, then add the flour, then milk and S&P. Same ingredients, just a different order in the pan.

It's so good!

False

I can't tell you how many times we had this as a kid. All of us loved it. We really got a treat when we had left over turkey.... Mom would make creamed turkey over pancakes for supper!!!!! YUMMO!!!

Thanks for the memory!!

False

I love this stuff! Dh likes his over toast,but I prefer mine over waffles. Of course, I could eat it out of a bowl with a spoon!

False

I have heard about this for years but never tried it. Thanks for the picture of the beef, Kathy, so I'll know exactly what I'm looking for. Your picture looks great!

False

Oh Kathy, this is one of my most favorite comfort food things to eat. DH loved this stuff even though he got it in the service all the time. Yum!

I also use the same beef but I usually chop mine into squares, never did it whole before but might next time.

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

Thanks for the memory.

DH loves this stuff. I have not made this since he was in the Navy.

Will have to make this for him again. Of course it goes without saying that I also like this dish.

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

Kathy, what a great picture, looks like it belongs in a recipe book or cooking magazine (TOH take notice). I made this a couple weeks ago got the recipe from, Marlene, only difference is I use dried beef that comes in a glass jar. Good eating. Judy

False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Thanks ladies! My mom made this all the time for us, growing up! I always looked forward to it! I love this stuff and after 100 attempts or so, I finally mastered getting the gravy just like mom's! Wink

Happy Birthday Mercy!

False

Gosh...I thought I was the only one that loved this stuff.  My recipe though is to buy Stouffer's frozen.  It is really good.  When my husband is out of town my favorite supper by myself is Stouffer's chipped beef over hard toast and Green Giant frozen brussel sprouts in butter sauce.  If he is going to be gone two nights I get two packages of each and feast both nights on the same thing.  Needless to say he does not like either chipped beef or brussel sprouts.  LOLStick out tongue

False

Oh  my  Cathy,  One of our favorites as well.  I too use the Dried beef in a small jar  ( Armor) and its  98% fat free.  Rinse it first to remove excell salt and serve it over toast with sliced tomatoes during the summer ~  I like to chop mine up as well and saute it in a little butter before making the gravy ~  Its  awesome and its  also very good over Has Browned Potatoes~

Its  delicious ~  Thanks  for sharing you recipe ~  Janie

A grinding or two of fresh pepper just tops it off ~Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thank you for this post. I have not thought about this for a long time, now I have something "new" to make for a quick supper.

My mother made this frequently when we were growing up. We always use the Hormel dried beef. It comes in a package like the Buddig. We chop it up into bite sized pieces.

False

Kathy, looks like a hit to me! I love hearing about all of the variations, too!

Nice picture!

Wink

False

Another winner and one I had forgotten about but am happy to be reminded of it.  Your picture looked so good I have it on the menu for this week for sure!  Thanks again for your pix which make me want to grab some right off the screen!!  I think I could gain a ton with these delicious looking meals!!  Oh well, what the heck?  

pegg

False

pegg