Monkey bread/pull apart bread recipe and review | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Monkey bread/pull apart bread recipe and review

Last post Mar 27, 2010 12:19 PM by carol1229 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Monkey bread/pull apart bread recipe and review

Well I made monkey bread for the first time and it turned out great! I used the TOH recipe from a magazine last month (I think). I really liked that article because it even showed me a few steps on how to make it.

I really loved this recipe! I think I may want to find a different coating because the brown sugar started to turn hard after just a day after baking it. Once we popped a few pieces into the microwave they went right back to being soft. I just wouldn't recommend this for a potluck/buffet style get together because it may not be convenient to pop pieces into a microwave! Otherwise this recipe was awesome and easy to bake! I wrote about it in my blog with some pictures (ok, ALOT of pictures). The link is in my sig! Enjoy!

Monkey Bread:

Ingredients

• 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
    • 1/4 cup water (110° to 115°)
    • 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
    • 1/3 cup butter, melted
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 5 cups all-purpose flour

• CARAMEL:
    • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
    • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

• ASSEMBLY:
    • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions

• In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
    • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
    • For caramel, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Pour half into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle with half of the pecans.
    • Punch dough down; shape into 40 balls (about 1-1/4-in. diameter). In a shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Place melted butter in another bowl. Dip balls in butter, then roll in sugar mixture.
    • Place 20 balls in the tube pan; top with remaining caramel and pecans. Top with remaining balls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
    • Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (20 servings).
    False
  • Re: Monkey bread/pull apart bread recipe and review

love the photo's!  makes me want to reach right in and snitch a piece right off the plate!!

Thanks Jen!

Cyndy

False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

Thanks! It's just sheer luck that I happen to have a kitchen with windows so I have great lighting...don't know what I'd do if it wern't for those windows!

False

I haven't had monkey bread in about a million years.  Love your pictures.  Literally LOL @ your comment when you saw how they had risen right out of the pan.  Big Smile

Thanks for sharing the recipe & pics.  Boy oh boy, do they ever look great.

Suziee

False

LOL Suziee,  but then i would be pickin it off and eating it so the pictures would come out perfect! hahaha

Jen,  natural lighting is always good!! 

Cyndy

False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

haha Suziee, my reaction to the bread rising over the pan was priceless...I'll never forget that one :-P

Natural lighting is a little tricky, but I would rather work with that than under flourescent lighting all the time! Oh, and btw, my dad happened to have a ton of tripods laying around so he's going to make sure to give me one soon :-)

False

Perfect!!  have fun playing with all the angles!!

False

Thank you for the R&R and really enjoyed checking out your blog!

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Hi Jen....now that is SOME impressive looking monkey bread!  I too laughed when I read your comment on the second rising......mine may not have been as..........nice?Surprise  :)

Anyway-I read your comment on the different kinds of yeast.  I may be able to help you out a little here.  I LOVE quick rise yeast......it's the one I use most often....and I LOVE to make bread and sweet rolls.  Here's the trick..........at least what I've found.  I use active dry in recipes that call for dissolving the yeast in water.....works like a charm.  For recipes that call for mixing the yeast with some of the flour, sugar, salt and whatever else, I use rapid rise....why?  You can heat your liquid to a higher temperature-120-130 degrees-and it dissolves into the flour nicely.  Once your dough is mixed and kneaded..........cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes,.....that counts as your first rising......form the loaves, rolls or whatever you're making, thencover and let them rise until doubled in a warm place.  The 10 minute resting time is your first rising.  I've switched out recipes that call for active dry yeast mixed in with the flour and substituted quick rise yeast and had great results.

I also exclusively use bread flour in ALL my yeast breads now....I find the bread comes out softer, lighter and the amount of flour I use in the bread is cut down too.

Have I totally confused you?  Hope not!

Anyway----your photos are mouthwatering (lucky  you having all those windows in the kitchen!) and have me craving MONKEY BREAD!  Thanks so much for the recipe and review.

Carol

False

I cheat. I use caramel ice cream topping.

False

Believe me, I was as shocked as if an explosion happened in my kitchen!

Carol - The yeast stuff you explained actually DOES make sense! I do have a question though. With a cinnamon roll recipe found on TOH it says to use quick-rise and then to let it sit for 45 minutes for its first rise. Would you recommend only letting it rise for 10 minutes? That's where my problem lies. It always rises great the first time and then hardly rises at all the second time...is that because it's already done rising after that first rise? My success with the monkey bread was only because I mixed the ingredients differently than with the cinnamon rolls. The monkey bread recipe called for using warm and wet ingredients to "wake the yeast up" where-as the cinnamon rolls had me mix the yeast in dry ingredients first.

I'll definately keep these things in mind though, perhaps I'll get this yeast thing down yet :-)

False

I had the same thing happen with quick rise yeast.  I didn't read the instructions and it crawled right out of the bowl.  LOL!!

Deb

False

Whew...I'm so glad I didn't confuse you more Jen!  I tend to over explain things sometimes....especially with cooking or baking.

It COULD be that the dough over rose the first time and the yeast lost its strength.  I usually will use active dry yeast in a recipe that calls for 2 risings and dissolving the yeast.  My Raspberry "Danish" recipe called for using active dry yeast with 2 risings-and you dissolved the yeast.  I switched the yeast to quick rise, let the dough rest covered, after kneading for 10 minutes, then shape the rolls and let THEM rise covered in a warm place until doubled.  Have never had a problem.  Which cinnamon roll recipe is it?  I'd like to take a peek.....

As I recall, I called the Fleishmann yeast people and asked how to substitute one yeast for the other and that's what they told me....the 10 minute resting period with their rapid rise yeast counts as a first rise with active dry.

Check out Fleishmann's yeast website...there's TONS of great information...not to mention recipes...on there.  Oh-and if you love to make bread (like I do) sign up for the Bread Brigade...you get a newsletter once a month with recipes that are out of this world.

Here's the link

Fleishmann's Yeast website

Hope this helps ya....it took me quite a while to work through the yeast thing....now I LOVE to make breads and sweet rolls....and pizza dough every week too!

Waving hi to Deb!

Carol

False

"I took one look at Carol's post and yelled, 'holy moly! Now I understand!'"

haha That does make alot more sense, and here's the cinnamon roll recips. I've tried it 3 different times. First time the yeast didn't rise (my fault). Second time I tried it using yellow cake mix...didn't rise the second time. Third time I used spice cake mix and didn't rise the second time.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cinnamon-Rolls-3

I'll definately check out the Fleishmann's website. I actually used Fleishmann's active-dry yeast for my monkey bread.

So for the cinnamon roll recipe, since it says to mix it in dry ingredients FIRST but then it says to have a 45 minute first rising period...which yeast would you use?? The quick-rise and only let it rise 10 minutes instead? Or the active dry and mix the warmer/wet ingredients first?

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much for all your help :-)

False

Jen, you crack me up!  I've never made this recipe-my Mom has made a version of it years ago but her recipe called for active dry yeast that you dissolve first.  I remember her saying the rolls were very good but the dough was REALLY sticky to work with.  She never used quick rise yeast...always active dry probably because that's what her mother used (Nana used yeast cakes since that was all there was back in the day-the powdered yeast came to be and Nana thought someone reinvented the wheel).....she will only use active dry to this day and she'll be 91 in a week or so!

Having said that.....since I bounce back and forth between both active dry and quick rise yeast.......looking at the recipe, I'm wondering if possibly your dough did over rise.  Most stuff I've read about rapid rise yeast says that the first rise is shortened considerably-OR that you can let the dough rest for 10 minutes and that counts as the first rise.  A lot of times I have a hard time judging "is the dough doubled in size?" thing...what looks double to me may be overly risen.  What I try to do is use a piece of masking tape on the outside of my clear Pyrex bowl to mark the top of the dough before I cover the bowl for rise #1...that sometimes gives me a good idea about what's doubled in size.  Poking 2 fingers 1/2" into the side of the dough to see if the indentation remains is another way to check-but if the dough has over risen, the holes won't fill in so that wouldn't help....much.

It ALMOST sounds to me like 45 minutes was too long for your first rising with those cinnamon rolls, especially if the dough was in a nice warm spot.  You can't always go by the time in a recipe for that step....I usually start checking ahead of the time-by at least 15-20 minutes.

The only thing I can suggest is to try it again and watch the dough for the first rise....or you can try covering and letting it sit for 10 minutes like other recipes that use quick rise (or instant, or bread machine yeast-they're all pretty much the same thing).  I would use the yeast specified and watch the dough....cover and check after 10 minutes.....I always use the quick rise in my cinnamon twists and do the 10 minute rest.  I have also gone to bread flour and seen a big difference in my yeast breads (for the better) too.  The rolls SHOULD rise well for you after they're shaped and in the pan after the 10 minutes covered and sitting on the counter.  Oh-and if it's more than 10 minutes, that's fine too....I've had to let it sit there 15-20 minutes and all was well.

I found this recipe for you to look at using instant yeast.....thought you might be interested in the method...

Cinnamon Rolls with Instant Yeast

You'll figure it out....and have some wonderful cinnamon rolls in the end!

Carol

False