ISO T&T recipes for a cake auction :) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO T&T recipes for a cake auction :)

Last post Apr 02, 2010 2:07 PM by carol1229 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • ISO T&T recipes for a cake auction :)

My sister's school has an auction coming up on  4/9, and has asked if I'll do some baking for her.    I've got lots of great cake recipes, but was hoping to find some T&T new ideas to toss at her.

Qualifications-

• Must be nut free
    • Cannot need refrigeration- this is what's throwing me, most of mine need to be refrigerated
    • Can use boxed mixes/prepared icing
    • Must fit into a lidded container or pan.   I can get commercial 10" deep round and 13x9 rectangular containers locally.
    • No alcohol 

Last year, what sold best were layered cakes, I donated a double layer Pineapple upside down cake that went for $30, and it's a possibility again for this year:

Pineappleupsidedowncake-1.jpg picture by jmartinelli13

Some ideas I'm kicking around are a chocolate cake, a raspberry or cherry white choc or coconut cake,  something with lemon or maybe caramel.    

Thanks so much  :)

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

• Re: ISO T&T recipes for a cake walk :)

Bump .G m Jolene.Cake

Rosie

False

Hi, Jolene! Will a bundt cake work, if it's not iced?!? This cake is always a big hit! I guess you should make sure people know it contains kahlua, if they are going to buy it!

:)

Ellen

Kahlua Chocolate Bundt Cake-Mom3boys

1 pkg. devil's food or fudge cake mix
    1 (4 oz.) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1/2 cup Kahlua
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350º. Combine all ingredients and beat until blended, 3 minutes. Oil a 12 cup Bundt pan. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool 25 minutes on a rack, then turn out onto serving plate. Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Enjoy!

Ellen

False

Thanks for the bump Rosie, good morning to you  :)

Ellen, will have to double check on the alcohol usage, but I'll be making that cake for us, for sure!    If I baked it in layers and put a chocolate frosting between and on top would it be too much?    Thank you for posting this  :)

False

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Mom3boys__Missouri

contains kahlua, if they are going to buy it!

Ellen

Sigh, double checked with sis, no alcohol allowed either...  I am definitely going to make this for us though!

False

My friend gave me this recipe and it's a good one. I will put in the frosting recipe that comes with it but there's no reason why you would have to use it as it has cream cheese in it. Just substitute a buttercream frosting and it will be just as good. You could still use the pumkin pie spice in the frosting.

Carrot Poke Cake

1 (18 1/4 oz.) box spice cake mix

2 eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup water

2 cups carrots, shredded

1/4 cup raisins (optional)

1 cup boiling water

1 (3 oz.) pkg. orange flavor gelatin

4 oz. cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 teas. pumpkin pie spice

2 cups powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare cake batter as directed on package; stir in carrots and raisins (if desired).  Pour into 13 x 9 inch baking pan. (For your bake sale you could make layers).

2.  Remove from oven.  Pierce cake with large fork or skewer at 1/2 inch intervals being careful not to go clear to the bottom or all the jello will run out onto the bottom of the pan.

3.  Meanwhile, stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix 2 minutes until completely dissolved.  Pour evenly over cake.  Refrigerate 3 hours.

4.  Beat cream cheese, butter and spice in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended. (Or skip this part and make buttercream frosting.)

5.  Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended after each addition.  Spread onto cake.

Liz

False

Liz, that's perfect, I've even got a spice cake in the cabinet already!   thank you so much  :)   I'm pretty sure BC or DH does a shelf stable cream cheese frosting, it won't be as yummy as the one you posted but I may give it a shot!

False

I'll offer my "Two Cents Worth" for some helpful hints, if I may.

Presentation--Presentation--Presentation! Whatever cake you take, the one with the best eye appeal will be the biggest seller. Little touches like chocolate curls, frosting that looks artistically swirled (not just slapped on thinly), broken candy pieces sprinkled heavily over cake top--whatever looks good. An example would be a cookies and cream cake. I made one for my son's scout cake auction a few years ago. I looked up a recipe on the internet, had crushed cookies (I used my food processor) in a white buttercream frosting which I applied thickly so it could be swirled nicely, then cut oreos in half and stood them up at an angle around the cake edge. I went to a chain grocery store's bakery and purchased a plastic cake holder (I have done this several times--plastic pie containers, too. They only charge me 50 cents to $! per container ). When I showed my boys, they asked me to attach the recipe to the container. They thought it looked so good that people would think I bought it. Their auction did very well and our cake got $350.If you make a 3 layer cake or cut your 2 layers to make 4, your cake will be taller and taller always makes a good presentation. Just make sure it will fit in your container when the lid is on lid before you get it all assembled. How about a chocolate cake with a buttercream frosting flavored with peppermint extract? You could leave it white or tint it pink. Then, maybe junior mints or crushed leftover candy canes sprinkled over the entire cake top.

Hope you can use some of these. Good luck!!

False
    Toni Gommy of 5
    Toni, thank you so much for the ideas!   I actually do baking from home for extra money, but the 'no refrigerated items' has thrown me for a loop    LOL    I also get my cake containers from the grocery, but they charge me $1 and give me the cardboard round as well.        :)     Cookies and cream I think would be a big hit and would decorate up nicely!    That's awesome that you made $350, last year I think the highest cake went for $75 and it was a multi layer almost wedding cake set up.      I plan on donating 4 to 5 cakes, my sis does a lot for me and this is an easy thing for me to do to help her out    :)
    False

Interesting "cake walk"..

Around this area , a cake walk, is different.....People donate cakes, cookies, brownies and fudge on a plate.....

The kids or adults walk in a big circle with numbered squares on the floor.....The music starts and they walk until the music stops.....They then draw a number and the one standing on the numbered square that was picked, gets to go and pick out a plate of goodies, cake , brownies etc....

The kids love that here.. the cake walk.  They buy tickets to participate in the musical cake walk..

...Around here that would be called a cake auction, not a walk.....

(around here, the school asks the people to donate a 2 layer cake, but on separate plates....Decorate it cute,,,,,  That way more kids have a chance to win a prize cake.....

False

zakons
    Interesting "cake walk"..

I guess the school has misnamed it, but has called it that for the last 3 years.   The cakes are definitely auctioned off though, bidding sheets are placed by each cake and it goes to the highest bidder.       I've edited my request and thanks for letting me know.   

False

• Re: ISO T&T recipes for a cake auction :)

no recipe but this sure brings memories of growing up.  Our school held them during the carnival.  Such fun!

False

This is similar to one that has already been posted but has kahlua as an ingredient.  Here amaretto is am option but in view of the restrictions placed on you by the school, leave out the amaretto and almond essence.  Maybe add vanilla instead.  The cake is delicious and if you are any good at decorating, which I am not, decorated with different chocolate ie dark, milk and white, it could be very pretty.  Good luckSmile

CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 chocolate cake mix

1 can cherry pie filling (540ml)

4 eggs beaten (by hand)

1 1/4 tsp. almond extract

2 Tbsp Amaretto liqueur (optional)

Chocolate glaze:

2 semi-sweet chocolate squares

2 Tbsp. Butter

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Stir by hand until thoroughly combined, about 2 mins. Butter a Bundt pan and spread the batter evenly in the pan.

Bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. If the cake is not done bake another five minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.

Melt 2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate with 2 tbsp. butter over low heat.

Drizzle Chocolate Glaze over the top of the cake.

ENJOY!!

False

Hi Jolene,

How about a white cake with lemon filling in the center?  If you get the lemon pie filling in a can, there isn't any dairy product in it, so it wouldn't have to be refrigerated.  Then put on a 7 Minute Frosting.  I have a real easy microwave frosting exactly like 7 Minute if you would want it (so easy to make!) and then sprinkle coconut all over the top.

Happy Easter!

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Since the Pineapple Upside Down Cake (one of my all-time favorites) did so well last year, how about this one posted by Arlene?   It looks really good and a nice change.  Sugared orange peel around it would be an extra sweet treat.  Let us know what you make.   Good luck.

Suziee

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/777351/6626715.aspx#6626715

Upside Down Orange Cake

I'm planning to make this in the coming week.  I thought it would be nice for Easter, but I'd like to try it first.  My SIL in AZ did make it and said it was delicious. 

triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute

Upside-down cake came to fame courtesy of canned pineapple — and a 1925 Dole Pineapple recipe contest with GH on the judging panel. Of the 60,000 submissions, some 2,500 were for upside-down cake, and the dessert's ease was part of its popularity. That piece-of-cake preparation — place fruit in the bottom of a skillet, pour in batter, bake — is the same here, but with navel oranges subbing for the pineapple.

Orange Upside Down  Cake

• 1 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, softened
    • 1/2 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
    • 3  navel oranges
    • 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
    • 1/4 cup(s) cornmeal
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    • 1/2 cup(s) milk
    • 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In bottom of 10-inch cast iron or heavy skillet with ovenproof handle, spread butter. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
    2. From oranges, grate 1 teaspoon peel; set aside. Cut peel and pith from oranges; discard. Slice oranges crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; arrange in single layer over sugar in skillet (if necessary, cut 1 or 2 slices into pieces to fit into spaces).
    3. In large bowl, with wire whisk, combine flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In small bowl, whisk milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and orange peel until blended. With mixer on low speed, add milk mixture to flour mixture and beat until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat 1 minute. Spoon batter over oranges and spread evenly.
    4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on wire rack 10 minutes. Run knife around side of cake to loosen from skillet. Place platter on top of skillet; carefully invert cake onto platter. Remove skillet. Let cool 30 minutes.

Arlene

False