dessert for a silent auction? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

dessert for a silent auction?

Last post Jun 03, 2010 8:08 AM by chinarose . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • dessert for a silent auction?

I need to contribute a dessert for a silent auction this weekend, but I'm stumped. I want it to be dazzling -- and chocolate would be nice. Packaging ideas also would be appreciated.

Thanks!

False
  • Re: dessert for a silent auction?

I like to make chocolate chip cookies with a TON of different kinds of chocolate chips - special dark, milk, white, and semisweet.  I buy decorated cellophane bags at a party or card store and put six cookies in each.  Tie with the twisties that come with the bags, but attach a copy of the recipe using the tie.  Be sure to name the recipe something memorable - like 'World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Really!'.

Here's my chocolate chip cookie recipe.  It's the world's best chocolate chip cookie.  Really!

1 cup butter /

1 cup butter-flavor Crisco /

1 cup white sugar /

2 cups brown sugar /

1 teaspoon vanilla extract /

1 teaspoon almond extract /

4 eggs /

5 cups all-purpose flour /

2 teaspoons baking soda /

2 teaspoons salt /

Plus - Use 4 bags of any combination of (or all 4 bags of milk chocolate chips or all M&M’s, etc.): /

Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks (12 oz) /         

Milk chocolate chips (12 oz) /         

Mini chocolate chips (12 oz) /        

M&M’s or Mini M&M’s (12 or 16 oz if you really like ‘em) /        

Toffee chips (12 oz) /  

Vanilla chips (12 oz) /

Peanut butter chips (12 oz) /         

Butterscotch chips (12 oz) /

Cream together the butter, sugar, and extracts for a few minutes – 5 or 6 – until it is light and fluffy. Mix in eggs – the dough will be very light. Put flour on top of the mixture and add soda and salt; fluff together these dry ingredients a bit, then mix together with the rest of the ingredients. 

Add the four bags of chocolate and mix again.  I like to use 1 bag of milk chocolate chips, 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 bag of M&M’s (either the regular size or the tiny ones) and 1 bag of mini chips.  You can use semi-sweet chocolate chunks for a bigger chocolate flavor (instead of the semi-sweet chips) 

Drop by spoonsful on a cookie sheet (I use parchment paper).  Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. 

If you use a Kitchen Aid mixer, you’ll save your arm.  Use the flat beater to make the cookie dough and switch to the dough hook when you add in the chocolate (the dough hook doesn’t break up the M&M’s). 

Makes 8-10 dozen, depending on size.

I'm hoping my edit will help the formatting of the recipe.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

The first recipe I thought of is my "infamous" Sour Cream Coffee Cake. You could pre-slice it and arrange it nicely on a plate to show off the swirl in the middle, or leave it alone and drizzle it with frosting.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened

1-1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon each almond, lemon and vanilla extract

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
    Filling:

1/3 cup chopped pecans

3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    Glaze:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

2 tablespoons milk

Directions:

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.

Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Make a well in the center of the batter. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle into well. Carefully cover with remaining batter.

Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake. Yield: 16 servings.

False

This isn't a recipe, but I've found that giving your dessert a really neat and descriptive name goes a long way. The name should make a person just want to grab it and cram it in his/her mouth:)

False