How do you get rid of used cooking oil? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you get rid of used cooking oil?

Last post Jun 30, 2010 3:43 PM by cathyat . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How do you get rid of used cooking oil?

I was just wondering.

KathieSmile

False
  • Re: How do you get rid of used cooking oil?
    Kathie, good question.  The last time I used oils that needed to be discarded, I poured them into an empty plastic milk carton, put the top on securely, and put the whole thing in the garbage for solid waste collection.  This is what our city's sanitation department advised me to do.  Stick out tongue

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Really good question. I put ours in a coffee can or plastic container and place in the trash. 

False

If the oil was over-heated I cool it and put it in a covered container like others have said. If the oil has not been burned, I make some french fries using the oil (this is supposed to absorb things like fish odor) then I pour it through a coffee filter.

Bobbi Jo

False

Friends are the flowers in the garden of life ~~ Bobbi Jo

I have read to put used cooking oil in kitty litter and dispose of in the trash.

False

Over-heated oil...?  If I fry fish in the oil...out it goes.  NOTHING takes away the fish taste.  Toss it!  If I fry french fries/zucchini/mushrooms/ etc it goes back into the bottle when it cools.  I use it only one more time...then out it goes down the garbage disposal with lots of hot water.  That's using liquid oil.  If I use solid stuff like crisco...right into the garbage can.  Liquid oil doesn't solidify in the garbage disposal...solids solidify nicely.  So liquid oil goes down the disposal...potential solids go into the garbage.

JMHO

Cathy

False