Are there different types of rhubarb? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Are there different types of rhubarb?

Last post Jul 15, 2010 6:59 AM by debberlenning . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Are there different types of rhubarb?

Hello,

I planted some rhubarb which developed nice red stalks which is what I am used to. I have a plant next to this one that has the leaves of rhubarb, but the stalks are green. I just caught some off and they are hollow inside. Didn't know if that was safe to use and if the hollowness might be due to picking it late. My red stalks were solid. Thoughts??

False
  • Re: Are there different types of rhubarb?

Normally, the more red stalks are sweeter and better-flavored.  One variety of the red rhubarb is called Canada Red.  The hollowness usually comes from picking late in the season.  I was taught to never harvest it after July 4th.  The same for asparagus.

False

I wouldn't be using "hollow" rhubarb.  Probably strong-tasting from lack of water, too much heat.

There are different varieties of rhubarb, but none that I know of are supposed to have less than solid stems.  An old variety, McDonald, is less red, & has huge stems.  In fact mine were 5 ft. tall before they started going over in the recent strong winds.  Stalks are as big around as my wrist.  I try to pick & use before they end up that big!  Tender rhubarb should slice easily & not be tough to work with. 

False

When they go to seed the stems are hallow.  You don't use them then.  I just cut them off and pitch them.

False