Minced Garlic In A Jar ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Minced Garlic In A Jar ?

Last post Aug 05, 2010 3:51 PM by piggykins . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Minced Garlic In A Jar ?

I watch food network when I have the time.  I see Sandra Lee and others who have used the preminced garlic ina a jar.  Sandra Lee said it's so much cheaper if you make your own.

My question is do they just fill up a jar of with minced garlic wirled up in a food processor? What liquid is in it like the kind you buy in the store?

Just wondering.  Thank you....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: Minced Garlic In A Jar ?

I would venture a GUESS to use olive oil as the liquid but on your next trip to the store check a package. I would also GUESS that, yes, some kind of industrial machine minces the garlic. I'm sure a food processor would work.

I saw a very OLD show with Michael Chiarello before he was on Food Network and he did a rant on preminced garlic and that it should never be used based on the fact (in his opinion) that fresh is best (although I agree).

When I have a recipe that calls for it I use chop my own fresh garlic.

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

You can do it, but unless you are using it daily, it's not really worth it.    You should only keep it for a week or so-

"want the convenience of having a jar of minced garlic ready in your refrigerator? Then make your own. Peel a dozen or so fresh garlic cloves and mince either in a food processor or by hand with a chef's knife. Store along with some canola or olive oil, refrigerated in a tightly sealed jar. It will keep for about a week."

http://www.thecitycook.com/cooking/advice/faq/000031\

Botulism isn't something I'd want to mess with, I'll buy the $3 prepared jar or mince it myself fresh when I need it:

BOTULISM WARNING
    Regardless of its flavor potency, garlic is a low-acid vegetable. The pH of a clove of garlic typically ranges from 5.3 to 6.3. As with all low-acid vegetables, garlic will support the growth and subsequent toxin production of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum when given the right conditions. These conditions include improper home canning and improper preparation and storage of fresh herb and garlic-in-oil mixtures. Moisture, room temperature, lack of oxygen, and low-acid conditions all favor the growth of Clostridium botulinum. When growing, this bacterium produces an extremely potent toxin that causes the illness botulism. If untreated, death can result within a few days of consuming the toxic food.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

I just looked at a friends jar.  It has garlic, water and phsporus (sp) acid.  It smells great and I love garlic.  We can't always find fresh - I'd like to grow it in my garden if I could - then mince it and put into jars.  I also agree frseh is best - just not always lucky enough to find fresh,  Thanks....

piggykins

False

BADIA, brand name, makes a minced garlic sold in various sized jars, found in the ethnic foods sections of grocery stores.  The oil is soybean oil, adds no flavor of its own to the garlic, and once opened lasts for months in the refrigerator.  It is exceedingly handy - the jar has an equivilence chart on the side, and it is moderately priced.  Unless the recipe calls for whole or roasted garlic, I always use this convenient product.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Jolene you convinced me it isn't worth it to make my own.  Not for the price of store bought. Which is what I use all the time.  For me though an open jar of garlic is almost an empty jar garlic.  I love garlic.  Thanks for your information.

Beema yours has oil in it! Mine is from spice world and has water in it not oil.  I agree with you that it is economical to use that way....

piggykins

False