Hawaiian smoked meat | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hawaiian smoked meat

Last post Nov 11, 2011 2:16 PM by hibeach . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Hawaiian smoked meat
    Hi I am looking for recipes for Hawaiian smoked meat. My boyfriend is Hawaiian and is always talking about it. He says that pork but is the best , a brisket recipe would be great too. To all my Hawaiian aunties and uncles ,Thanks so much in advance.

from a "White Hawaiian"
    False
  • RE: Hawaiian smoked meat
    Aloha! I can't wait for this recipe. My husband and I got married last summer in Hawaii! We definitely have the Aloha Spirit. My parents do, too. They went back again this summer.

Micki
    False
    Click for Cancun, Mexico Forecast
    bump for help
    False
    Try this link out,, Hope it helps

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=272621&searchrep=2654466#search
    False
    I have a Hawaiian cookbook. I will look in it later today and see if there is a recipe for smoked meat.

Melody
    False
    The book did not have a recipe for smoked meat. I do have this recipe. It is from an old TOH magazine . I have made this with and we really liked it.

Hawaiian Kalua Pork Roast
    pork rump roast 3-5 pounds
    2 large bananas save the skins
    2 tsp. liquid smoke
    salt and pepper

Salt pork roast on all sides. Crush bananas; add liquid smoke
    and stir well. Apply banana sauce over the roast on all sides.
    Add desired pepper and lay banana peels on top of the roast.
    Place the roast in a roasting pan and cover with a lid or
    tinfoil. Bake at 220 degrees for 7 hours. Remove banana peels
    and shred roast in it's own juices.
    False
  • Re: Hawaiian smoked meat

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/03/21/big-island-smoked-pork/

I'm just learning about smoke meat after living here for 9 years. I know it's delicious in fried rice and as a pupu. Ask your hubby what other ways they used this lovely meat please. I am not a fan of jerky, so hesitated to try it, but now I'm a smoke meat fan, but I can buy it here on Kauai. :)

Aloha, Shirl

False
  • Re: Hawaiian smoked meat

Here is a detailed recipe I found on another site:

Big Island Smoked Meat

• 10 to 25 lbs. Pork Butt or Picnic Shoulder (more fat, more flavor)- cut into 3/4" to 1" thick steaks, strips and/or pieces. Boneless is easier to cut, but bone-in is cheaper. Up to you.
    • Hawaiian Salt

Lomi (massage) Hawaiian Salt semi-liberally into meat, wait 1/2 hour (for salt to absorb well). Then make marinade as followed...

Marinade/Brining Solution
    • Shoyu (Aloha or Kikkoman), 1/2 gallon
    • Cane Sugar, 4 cups (you can add or subtract this, depending on your taste)
    • Fresh Garlic & Ginger (roughly chopped), about 1 cup each
    • Hawaiian Chili Pepper, 2 each, cut in half (you can add or subtract this, depending on taste)

Combine marinade ingredients in a pot on stove and heat to melt sugar and enhance flavor. Let cool. Place pork butt pieces in ziploc bags or container that will fit in refrigerator and pour marinade on it. Marinate Pork in refrigerator for at least 2-3 nights.

Smoke it!
    • Smoker or large Kettle Grill (Weber is the best)
    • Mesquite chips and/or dried Kiawe and/or Guava tree branches (Mesquite chips can be found at any supermarket or hardware store where the charcoal is located). Soak in water for at least 1 hour.
    • Drip pan
    • Charcoal
    • Water

If using a smoker, follow instructions for LOW & SLOW method.

If using Kettle Grill (this method), place two handful portions of charcoal briquettes (and Keawe charcoal if available) banked on ONE SIDE of bottom coal grate and start the fire. After coal is thoroughly burning and flames are out, place the drip pan on the remaining open area of grate next to coals and fill with water about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle wet Mesquite chips over hot coals and place cooking grate on grill, making sure the opening on side of cooking grate is located OVER the burning coals; this is necessary for adding more Mesquite chips to fire as needed without having to remove the entire cooking grate.

Place marinated meat on grill. IMPORTANT! Keep meat away from hot spot where the burning coals are. Create a heat shield out of sheet metal if you have some. If you have more pork than can fit on cooking grate, be creative and make tiered grates over that to accommodate.

Cover grill. Keep the underside coal vents and the grill cover's top vents OPEN. SMOKING WILL TAKE APPROX. 4 HOURS WITH A MAINTAINED TEMPERATURE OF APPROX. 225 DEGREES (plus or minus 25 degrees), which must be SUPERVISED at all times. Keep grill COVERED at all times, unless you are adding more coal or wood chips to fire. The objective of this smoking process is low & slow heat. When you can't see any smoke escaping the vent(s), add more wet Mesquite wood chips sprinkled over the hot coals, doing this throughout the 4 hour smoking period. Add small amounts of charcoal briquettes and/or Kiawe charcoal approximately every 40 minutes to maintain the fire.

Smoked Pork will be done when outside appearance is a light-medium brown and a test slice cut looks purplish-pink, appearing cured but not cooked. After about 4 hours are up, check the meat. If it's brown outside and slightly purplish-pink inside, it's done. Well semi-done.

When ready to eat, cut smoked pork steak(s) into bite-size pieces then put in heavy pan with a little oil on HIGH HEAT. Fry until papa`a (seared) on the edges. Place on paper napkins to blot oil. Serve on a mock-Koa bowl lined with a Ti Leaf and enjoy with freshly mixed Poi. Gotta' have the Poi!

Place the extra smoked meat in clean, description/date-labeled and sealed Ziploc bags, remove all air and freeze.
    My friend who gave me the current round of smoke meat says her grandson likes it prepared like this.
    Place small amount of water in a skillet. Place smoke meat, onion and cubed potatoes in skillet and cook until done. Don't discard liquid because lots of good taste is there. :)
    False