How does cornstarch help a cookie? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How does cornstarch help a cookie?

Last post Sep 27, 2010 11:07 PM by pepmint . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • How does cornstarch help a cookie?

I was looking thru some cookie recipes and found a chocolate chipe cookie that has 1 cup of cornstarch in it. The recipe sounds interesting, but I was wondering why so much cornstarch.

Thanks for any insite to my question.

Kathy

False
  • Re: How does cornstarch help a cookie?

The only insight I have is that it must be taking the place of flour.  Without seeing all the ingredients it is next to impossible to make an intelligent guess, or even a dumb one...  which is more up my alley..Embarrassed

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Someone posted a recipe on here that also called for cornstarch. But only a spoonful, if I remember right. It was said (and T&T) to make the cookies softer and "fluffier". Why your recipe calls for so much, I have no clue. Does it replace the flour?

False

Here's the recipe:

Famous Cookies

1/2lb butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

3 cups Bisquick

1 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup non fat milk powder

2 TBS coffee powder

1TBS cocoa

1 TBS vanilla

1 pkg chocolate chips

4 oz chopped peacons

Beat butter till fluffy, add sugars and eggs, then rest, except for chips and nuts. Stir them in. Bake grape size pieces in 350 oven for 14 minutes.

That's the recipe.

Kathy

False

It is an interesting recipe,I have to agree. Cornstarch is used to make it lighter. I don't know,why so much. I never have made a cookie with Bisquick. I hope somebody will try it. I will try it later,but I am busy at the moment making plum cakes and a plum pie.

Kathy,thank you for posting the recipe. 

False

The only cookie recipe I ever saw that has corn starch in place of some flour is the Heavenly Shortbread recipe that was on the Canada Corn Starch box in the early 1900's. It is the lightest airiest short bread I have ever eaten. I wouldn't think of using any other recipe. Try it and see if it isn't lighter.

Sorry this is only a guess but it is what I know about the subject since I am not a baker person. Big Smile

~Jan~

Here you go aubie2, enjoy! I also sent you a personal message.

This recipe was posted here on the bb a long time ago.

I use my Cuisinart to mix them because it is a stiff dough but as soft as a baby’s bottom when mixed.

My sister does them in her KitchenAid mixer all the time.

~Jan~

“Heavenly Shortbread”

1/2 cup corn starch
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup butter, softened

Sift together the dry ingredients. With a wooden spoon blend in butter until soft, smooth dough forms (I used my Kitchen Aid for this and it worked well). Shape into 1 inch balls. If dough is too soft to work with cover and refrigerate for 30-60 min. Place 1 ½ inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet, flatten lightly with a fork, bake in 300° F for 15-20 min on until lightly brown.

You can also roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick and cut out cookies.

*I press mine into little cookie moulds I got at Wal Mart at Christmas time. You can dip these into chocolate too but I like them as is.

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

I love baking and am very interested in the science behind baking.  From what I have read, cornstarch does not have gluten.  Also, using the right blend of corn starch and flour produces a softer shortbread cookie than when using flour alone.

False

The following is a recipe we have used for years, I may even gotten from here.The amount of cornstarch amazed me, so I made them and they are wonderful.They will melt in your mouth.

High Tea Lemon Cookies

2      cups buttter, room temp

2/3   cup confectioners sugar

1     teaspoon grated lemon zest

1      teaspoon lemon juice

2      cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups cornstarch(yes, this correct)

Lemon Frosting---

1/3    cup butter, room temp

1       teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/3    cup lemon juice

4       cups confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven 350.

Beat butter until creamy, add confectioner's sugar, cream until light and fluffy.

Add lemon juice and zest.

Add flour and cornstarch and beat until well blended

Roll or scoop into 1" balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.(I line my cookie sheets with foil)

Bake 15 minutes or until bottoms are light brown, let cool, the frost with lwmon icing.

---Frosting--

• Combine all ingredients and mix until well blended.  

False

I forgot to finish, frost each cookie and enjoy.

God Bless,

Phyllis

False

Cornstarch, or corn flour as it is sometimes called, is FLOUR.  So when  the cookie recipe calls for this, it is in place of wheat flour that is normally used.  Cornstarch, when used as a flour replacement, produces very light, delicate cookies that literally melt in your mouth.

False

could you please post the shortbread recipe? Sounds good!
    False

WOW! Thanks for everyones help. I saw the other post that someone else had started. I'm going to give the cookies a try, now that I know it's not a typeo.

Thanks. Kathy

False

Very interesting thanks for asking I learned something new today.

Carol

False

The Shortbread Cookies are sooooo good! 

Will have to try the other two.  Any lemon cookie with that much butter in it must be delicious!

False