OMG! The BEST Strawberry Cupcake I've ever put in my mouth! PIC- Do YOU have a recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OMG! The BEST Strawberry Cupcake I've ever put in my mouth! PIC- Do YOU have a recipe?

Last post Oct 02, 2010 8:17 PM by piggykins . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • OMG! The BEST Strawberry Cupcake I've ever put in my mouth! PIC- Do YOU have a recipe?

A coworker brought a box of these to work last night. They're from a cafe in town called the Red Door. The lady who runs it has a great reputation for her baked goods. You usually have to order ahead to pick up the next day if you want something that isn't the "baked thing of the day", which is how she does it I'm told. She supposedly has a killer Coconut Sour Cream Cake and she has several really good cupcakes. I've heard about her German Chocolate ones too. But until last night, I've never tasted any of them.

I am telling you guys, this was the BEST strawberry cupcake I have ever eaten. I actually snagged one to bring home too, and it's sitting in my fridge calling my name right now.

The cupcake itself is pink and has chunks of strawberry in it. I can't figure out if it's fresh or if it's the frozen sweetened stuff. The icing is what really makes this thing irresistable though. Oh my...........It's a buttercream, with strawberry flavor, strawberry bits, some sort of nuts and I think it has coconut in it too, not a lot, just a little for some texture. I'm telling you, I could eat an ENTIRE bowl of this stuff.

Here is a picture, which trust me, does not do it justice, LOL.

So, if you have a killer Strawberry Cupcake recipe that looks like it might be similiar, PLEASE! SHARE! :)

Thanks SO much!

False
  • Re: OMG! The BEST Strawberry Cupcake I've ever put in my mouth! PIC- Do YOU have a recipe?

Hi sweetie.  I sure do hope you get a recipe.  I'd love to make it also.  Kinda sounds like a Red Zinger Cake made into cupcakes.  It sounds awesome....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: OMG! The BEST Strawberry Cupcake I've ever put in my mouth! PIC- Do YOU have a recipe?

Hey, Star!  No recipe for you - sorry.  Just wanted to say hi.  That cupcake sounds fantastic.  Hope someone will have a great recipe for you.

Hope Syd is adjusting well to her new school.

Suziee

False

Hey Piggy. They probably are somewhat similiar in the fruitiness and the moistness of the cake. I think the Zinger is raspberry, though, and I don't think there was any jello powder in this cupcake. She might have used a strawberry puree, left just a little chunky, or something like that. And not too much coconut in the frosting. When I was eating the one last night, I said to Lisa, "Do you think there's coconut in here?" and she said she thought just a bit.

Suz, thank you for asking! She's doing pretty well........dealing with the feelings of being totally overwhelmed, :). And she's a bit homesick. She's not had time to come home and I've only been able to get away once to see her.  Every weekend is packed with study, study, study, :(........but she's doing something that she loves and if she weren't spending four years doing this, she'd be spending it doing something that wasn't as important to her. Hopefully she'll be able to get home the end of Oct. I'm off for two weeks then, and we usually go and see a scary movie for Halloween, LOL. It's the ONLY time I ever see scary movies! And then we like to go to the mall and watch all the little ones dressed up in their costumes since we live way too far out to see trick or treaters.

I sent her a picture of this cupcake too, and she's excited, LOL. We'll definitely buy some when she does get home.......the suckers are 3 bucks apiece! But I think they're totally worth it. I suspect this is probably a common recipe in this area. Many of these little cafes use tried and true recipes that are community based.....the sort that you find in the church cookbooks from this area. I'm fairly sure that the Coconut cake she makes is the one that everyone around here makes.......The problem is that I haven't gotten a new church cookbook from around here in a few years though. When I have some time, I'll try to go thru the ones I do have and see if anything sounds right. But, if anyone has any ideas, please do post them!

False

Star I've heard of people changing the zinger cake to strawberry.  May use half as much coconut as the zinger cake.  The strawberry puree sounds good for the moisture.  I think I'd still go with the jello powder and just cut up strawberries into small pieces.  Do you think that might work?....

piggykins

False

This looks very much like Paula Deen's recipe for Strawberry Cake and Icing.  The recipe is on Paula's website.  Paula's icing does not call for nuts or coconut but you could always add it.

False

Sounds a lot like the cake mix dr strawberry cake & icing, which does use gelatin in the cake, quite similar to Paula's.  I can post the recipe tomorrow when I'm at my desktop if you'd like.  I make if often for a few family members, it is their favorite cake.  And it works out well w/ either fresh or frozen berries. 

False

WOW! That looks delicious!

Thanks Star!

NancyYes

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Site Quote-"I’ll be re-visiting this recipe again and again.  I can also say that I hope to be re-visiting Kai again and again, cupcake carrier in hand" Strawberry Cupcakes

Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes
    (adapted from the
    Sprinkles recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart)I have not made these but they sure look delicious IMO-Coconuts and Nuts could be added

Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes
    (adapted from the Sprinkles recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart)

For the cupcakes:

⅔ cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
    1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour and ½ cup self-rising/raising flour*), sifted
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
    ¼ cup whole milk, room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg, room temperature
    2 large egg whites, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.

Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about ⅓ cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.

With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.

Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.

Yield: one dozen cupcakes.

For the frosting:

½ cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
    Pinch of coarse salt
    3 ½ cups confectioners’/icing sugar, sifted
    ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.

Yield: enough frosting for one dozen cupcakes to the Strawberry Buttercream.~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Star, when I read your request I went on a mission to find something close to the strawberry cupcakes you experienced.  I live near Ponchatoula, Louisiana, a lovely old town, and it is touted as "Strawberry Capitol of the World" so strawberries are very important here.  I could not find cupcakes but am going to post a couple of cake recipes from area cookbooks.

Strawberry Cake (This and the following frosting recipe are from cookbook "Toula Cooks"

1 box Duncan Hines white cake mix

1 (3-oz) box strawberry gelatin

1 cup cooking oil

1/2 cup milk

1 cup pecans

1 cup coconut

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

4 eggs

1 cup crushed strawberries (fresh or frozen)

Mix oil, strawberries and milk.  Mix cake mix with gelatin, add to liquid mixture in mixer and beat well.  add eggs, and heat well again.  Add coconut, pecans and vanilla.  pur into 2 (10") pans or 3 (8") pans, greased and floured.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until center sprins up when touched.

Frosting and Filling:

1 stick oleo

1 box powdered sugar

1/2 cup crushed strawberries

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup coconut

1/2 cup pecans

Mix together and frost the cake.  You may have to use more sugar if mixture is a little soft. 

False

Here's another from cookbook "Toula Cooks":

Strawberry Cream Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup each butter and shortening, softened

1 1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 eggs

1 tablespoons grated orange rind

2 cups pureed unsweetened strawberries

1/2 cup plain yogurt

In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In separate bowl, using electric mixture, cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in 1 egg at a time.  Add orange rind.  Fold in strawberries and yogurt.  Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture until well combined.  Grease 9 inch tube pan.  Spoon in mixture.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 60 - 70 minutes.  Let stand in pan on wire rack until completely cook.  Remove from pan.

Whipped Cream Topping:

2 cups whipping cream

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

strawberries

Whip cream, gradually beating in sugar and vanilla.  cover top of cake with frosting.   If desired, garnish with strawberries.

False

Here's a strawberry frosting recipe from a local church cookbook. 

Strawberry Topping for Cakes and Other Desserts:

1 pkg. frozen strawberries, or 1 pint fresh, mashed strawberries

1 cup hot water

1 pint whipping cream

1 small pkg. Strawberry Jello

4 tablespoons sugar

Dissolve Jello in 1 cup hot water; stir in sugar.  Cool until almost jelled.  Fold in strawberries, and whipping cream (that has been whipped).  Beat on low speed.

False

Bumping for Star AND saving the cake recipes!  Yes

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Hey folks! Thank you SO much for all the ideas. This was exactly what I wanted. I don't really think there was any jello in that cake but there could have been. I'm open to all ideas, :)

Thank you Piggy for your help! I'll pull that Zinger cake recipe out and look it over for sure.

Ala Gal, a friend of mine from work has a sister who makes Paula's Strawberry Cake. She has brought in a piece to work and while it is TO DIE FOR, absolutely, it's not quite the same as this cupcake was. For one thing, it did have a pinker color (which might be the jello) and a little different taste. While this cupcake was "pink" it wasn't as pink. I think I posted that cake here a year or two ago. But that cake and the zinger cake are good starting points.

Jasper, I have not ever tried the Cake Mix Doctor's Strawberry cake. I'd love to see the recipe. I wonder if it's similiar to Paula's?

Alliea, thank you! That looks good. I love Martha. The cupcakes were a bit pinker than those. I wonder if it's possible she used a bit of food color?

Burntsugar, thank you!! The more recipes the better. I've started a file. I will bake until I find it, LOL. I love getting recipes from cookbooks that I don't have access to and haven't seen before.

Hi Miss Cathy!! Where have you been, girl? :)

False

Star I am still racking my brains for you over this one.  I once made a cake that would make good cupcakes.  (I never wrote the recipe down Embarrassed - thought I'd remember).  What I did was take a strawberry cake mix and 3 eggs and a can of strawberry pie filling and beat it all together.  I frosted the cake with cool whip. Rave reviews from everyone.  I had it on my computer - before it crashed and the recipe disinigrated - poof!  The only thing I can't remember is if I added oil to it - but I don't think I did.  It was so good and moist and like I said everyone loved it.  I learned my lesson about writing out a hard copy - as I don't have a printer at the moment....

piggykins

False