substitute evaporated milk ??? Please Quick | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

substitute evaporated milk ??? Please Quick

Last post Oct 25, 2010 7:43 AM by Alliea . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • substitute evaporated milk ??? Please Quick

I need a substitute for evaporated milk Please I am or in the middle of making  Potato Bacon Casserole and have no evaporated milk and I live 30 mins away from a storeThanks for your help

False
    Sue
  • Re: substitute evaporated milk ??? Please Quick

You can use double the amount of regular milk....My mom always subbed the other way, so I think that should work fine.
    False

JMO - I have not seen the recipe but Doubling the milk  (esp if the quantity is sizable) will  likely make  the casserole runny.

Check site below. If you don't have powdered milk or cream try #4.

Evaporated Milk Substitute #4
    Fresh milk or cream can also be used to make evaporated milk substitute. Take 2 cups of fresh milk or cream in a sauce pan and let it simmer slowly until only half remains in the sauce pan. This method will take time but once prepared it works as the best substitute for evaporated milk.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/evaporated-milk-substitute.html

ALSO From ochef:

Store-bought evaporated milk has had about 60% of its water removed through evaporation. Because it is a concentrated form of milk, it is often called for in recipes to add richness to a dish. And because it is relatively thick, it is called upon to contribute to a creamy texture

In the absence of evaporated milk, one option is to take some dry milk and reconstitute it using only 40% of the recommended water. That would give you the right texture. It is difficult to find dry whole milk (because the fat in it tends to spoil and so should be refrigerated), so you would most likely be using dry nonfat milk, which would cause some adjustment in flavor.

Or you could take a page from Southern cooks and use buttermilk, which is often used in the breading process for fried chicken. It has the thick texture to help the coating adhere and certainly gives a boost to the flavor, although it might be more on the tart side, where evaporated milk leans towards sweetness.

You can also use some cream instead of evaporated milk, although you might find that too rich.

If you have a little time, though, you can easily reduce a quantity of milk by half or more. Put it in a pan on the stove, bring it to a simmer, and let it reduce. A wide-mouth pan such as a saucier will allow more surface area for faster evaporation. Keep the milk below the boil, to keep it from curdling, and make sure it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan, or you'll have a tough time scrubbing it off.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thanks

False
    Sue

I've used this many times.  1 c dry milk powder +1 1/3 c. water.  Mix well.  Equals an 11 oz can.

False

Here is a website that tells how to make evaporated milk... maybe it will help

http://www.ehow.com/how_4619623_make-evaporated-milk.html

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

What can I Substitute for Evaporated Milk?

Gina0721
    Answers Expert
    Glad you asked...
    There are different substitutions that you can use for evaporated milk. Depending on the recipe that you are cooking would depend on which method you want to use. You can use either 1 cup of light or heavy whipping cream, 1 cup of half and half, 1 cup light table cream or 2 1/4 cups of milk simmered until its reduced to 1 cup.
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

If this is the recipe you used it sounds Very good.~A

Potato Bacon Casserole

Potato Bacon Casserole

I came up with this recipe when unexpected company arrived and I didn’t have enough lettuce and tomatoes on hand to make a traditional salad. Everyone enjoyed it so much that it became a regular at our table.
    8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.

Ingredients

• 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    • 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1 egg
    • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

• In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer half of the potatoes,
    • onion, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers.
    • In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and seasoned salt; pour over

• potato mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover;
    • bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8
    • servings.
    Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 181 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
    False

Yes it was Alliea and my husband loved it he said make it again I used the dry milk and water Thanks for all your help

False
    Sue

This looks like a recipe my family would REALLY enjoy.

Thamks for letting us know.Smile

~A

False

~A

False

~A

False