Hamburger By the Yard | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hamburger By the Yard

Last post May 25, 2013 3:29 PM by Frostingo . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Hamburger By the Yard

My mom used to have a recipe for something called Hamburger By The Yard. I think she got it from a newspaper but I'm not sure. She's since lost it and would love to make it again. Does anyone out there have the recipe? It's hamburger mixed with onion and other ingredients (mustard may be one), then put on top of a sourdough sandwich roll and baked. If anyone still has that recipe, could you please share it? My mom would be very grateful! Thanks!!

False
  • Re: Hamburger By the Yard

Bumping - sounds interesting to me.

False

Sorry that I don't have the recipe, but you've got my curiosity now.  I'll be watching for it!

Lori

False

Maybe this?

*1 to 2 lbs of Hamburger (depending on how much you want to make)

*1 loaf of long french-style bread \

*chopped onions (desired amount)

*frozen corn (desired)

2 eggs (for binding)

salt/pepper

In a big bowl mix the burger, onion, eggs, corn and some salt and pepper.
    Get it good and mixed and cut baguette loaf in half length wise and .put the mixture on the slices of bread....bake at 350 for about 35 minutes

False

Thanks so much! I'm not sure that's it, it doesn't sound quite right from what I remember, but I've never made it myself because I didn't like it (not an onion fan Smile). I'll ask my mom though, and if it's the right one she'll be so grateful! Thanks!!!

False

I shared this with my mom and she said it's very close. She's going to make it and see. She thinks it had yellow mustard in it as well as the above ingredients, but she isn't any more sure than I was. Thanks for sharing this, she's really happy to have it!!  Big Smile

False

I have the recipe for Hamburger by the yard.

2 lbs ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can corn drained

2 eggs slightly beaten

2tbsp of prepared mustard

2tsp sale

1/4 tsp pepper

1lb of american cheese sliced

1 long loaf french bread

Mix beef, onion, corn, eggs and seasonings.  Split french bread in half crosswise, then in half length wise.  Mound beef mixture on bread.  Arrange bread in shallow baking pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Top with cheese slices and bake 5 minutes more.

My kids loved this recipe and today I am going to the store and get the ingredients and make it tonight for dinner. 

False
    Nancy Benesch

This is it! I'd forgotten about the cheese but now I remember that we used to do that too. I made it the other day and it's exactly what we used to have. Thank you very much for this, and to all of you for your kind responses!!!

False

My mom also made it.  The recipes that were posted seem correct but my mom always used Mexican corn.  That is what gave it that wonderful flavor.  

False
    Ooh, Mexican corn sounds delish! I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!!
    False

my mom made this recipe too!  hated it!  she also found it in a newspaper.....it sounds exactly as you described..and i have a sister who we used to call kimba....but no it couldnt be you my kimba is a gourmet cook and wouldnt dare recreate the horror that was hamburger by the yard!  why the mere thought of it would send me running for cover under the bed!  funny too because i am a great lover of all things hambburger but this....this monstosity still makes me shudder!  the grease from the hamburger saturated the otherwise delicious sour dough roll and although im a huge yellow mustard fan...it gave the grease soaked bread an evil sourness that haunts my memory to this day...ok maybe it wasnt really that bad but really kim please never servee this at one of your fabulous dinner parties lest you lose any of your dear friends.  worry not however my nightmares of this epicurian horror are overshadowed by my sweet dreams of mama s wonderful hershys chocolate pies!!!! oh and she made a mean fondue too!   

False