I need to help convert recipes to feed a large crowd, help please! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need to help convert recipes to feed a large crowd, help please!

Last post Nov 21, 2010 7:16 AM by Alliea . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • I need to help convert recipes to feed a large crowd, help please!

I am helping a friend cook next week and she is cooking for 25-30 people.  We could use some help figuring out how much we need even if its just your opinion!  I will post the recipes/food list and would love your input.  I've never cooked for a big bunch like this and I, as usual, am clueless (shut up Footsie!!!  lol)

CRANBERRY GRAPE SALAD
    1 bag cranberries, ground up
    1 cup sugar
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 1/2 cups grapes (preferably red seedless), cut in half
    Cool Whip

Mix cranberries, sugar, pineapple, and grapes together. Let sit for one day in the refrigerator. Drain off any excess liquid. Add cool whip when ready to serve.

Okay, followed no recipe so I'll tell you what I did.

1 lb. italian sausage
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 to 1-1/2 baking potatoes, cubed
    1/2 bag matchstick carrots
    2 - 14 oz. cans Great Northern Beans
    1 medium onion, chopped
    52 ozs. (3 cans) chicken broth
    four cups bok choy leaves
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 bay leaf

Brown the sausage in a little olive oil in a stock pot. Add garlic, potatoes, carrots, and onion. Cook on medium for five minutes. Add 1-1/2 can of beans. Take the other 1/2 can and smush beans with a fork and add to pot (this will give the soup some thickness). Add bok choy leaves, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover with chicken broth. Simmer until warm thru and potatoes are cooked thru. (Took me about 20 minutes).

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
    FILLING:
    2 lbs. sweet potatoes, about 4, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

TOPPING:
    4 oz. chopped pecans, about 1 cup
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup butter, melted

For filling, in large pot, combine potatoes with enough cold water to cover; over high heat bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until potatoes are tender, 30 minutes. Drain; mash until smooth. Let stand until cooled slightly, 15 minutes. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Butter 2-qt. baking dish. In bowl combine potatoes with next five ingredients. Spread mixture in baking dish. For topping, in large bowl, combine pecans, sugar and flour; stir in butter until mixture is combined. Sprinkle pecan mixture over potato mixture. Bake until top is browned and mixture is set in center 40 - 45 minutes. Makes 12 servings.

False
  • Re: I need to help convert recipes to feed a large crowd, help please!

Spicy Beef

Ingredients

• 1 jar (11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncinis
    • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1-3/4 teaspoons dried basil
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 large onion, sliced and quartered
    • 10 to 12 hard rolls, split

Directions

• Drain pepperoncinis, reserving liquid. Remove and discard stems of peppers; set peppers aside. Cut roast into large chunks; place a third of the meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water.
    • In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; sprinkle half over beef. Layer with half of the remaining meat, then onion, reserved peppers and liquid. Top with remaining meat and herb mixture.
    • Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef and peppers on rolls. Yield: 10-12 servings.
    Editor's Note: Look for pepperoncinis (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
    False

We are also going to make chicken breast on the grill and cut them up for fajitas and make ground beef tace meat.  Buy all the fixings, not sure how much meat and fixings to get.  (salsa, tortillas, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, etc...)

We are adding ham to this recipe:

Kim's Scalloped Potatoes

8-10 med. potatoes, sliced thin
    3 cans cream of celery soup
    16 ozs. shredded cheddar (more or less to taste)
    1-1/2 onions, chopped
    garlic powder
    pepper
    salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 pan. Take sliced potatoes and layer them in bottom of the pan with edges barely overlapping. Carefully spread cream of celery soup (right from the can, do not mix w/water or milk!) on top of potatoes. You will use approximately 1 can per layer. Spinkle a handful of chopped onion on top of soup. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of onion. Shake on some garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Repeat this for 3 to 4 layers(potatoes, soup, onion, cheese, garlic poweder, salt, pepper). Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approx. an hour or until potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes before done, sprinkle top with shredded cheese. Enjoy!

*You can also easily do this in a crockpot! It's best to cook on low for several hours until potatoes are tender.
    **You can also add chopped ham to this as well! YUMMM!
    False

I would consider all the things you are serving, regular size batches. How many would you feed with all that?? If you say 10 then you only have to double each of your items.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

casslepier
    l, am clueless (shut up Footsie!!!  lol)

Zip it!

That's quite an ecclectic menu lol.

With so much food, just double all the recipes (maybe triple that cranberry grape salad) and you should be fine.  3lbs of ground beef should be plenty, a bag of those frozen chicken breasts. Cheese, taco shells, tortillas, sour cream, salsa and all that can easily be used another time so if you "buy 4 pkg/jars" (and that's just an example) and only use 2 or 3, it's not that big of a deal. Honestly? I skip the soup.

False

I guess I should have mentioned that this is being served over the course of several days, this isn't just for one meal!  lol

And the soup is my friend's favorite thing I make so that one is just for her benefit.  Her relatives are going to add things like bread and desserts as they are having a whole group in for about 4 days for the holidays.

And you know me, I'm challenged sometimes to cook for 4, let alone 24!  lol

At least they didn't ask me to make homemade rolls!  LOL  

False

Hi Kim,  I too would triple that great looking cranberry salad. And Double the remaining recipes. 

If doubling the scalloped potatoes May I suggest adding some milk to thin out the sauce just a bit or add some chicken or veggie stock.

I'll double check again to see where you may be able to save some kitchen prep and  time ~

Sometimes simple and plain are fine as well~  Everyone enjoys a nice fresh green salad and one can be made in just a snap.  Also a nice side of veggies like steamed green beans   with a little sauteed bacon and onion.  Several bags should do ~ They come already cleaned and  are really nice ~ 

Good Luck & enjoy !~  Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

This web page will help you alot

http://www.baking911.com/howto/recipes_doubletriplecut.htm

Doubling a recipe:

bullet Just double the ingredients.
    bullet If the increased recipe calls for uneven amounts of ingredients, it is a help to remember that:
    2/3 cup = 1/2 cup plus 2-2/3 tablespoons
    5/8 cup = 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons
    7/8 cup=3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
    bullet Use twice as many pans of the same size indicated for the original recipe or a pan double in area... so that the batter will be the same depth in the pan and the same baking time and temperature may be used.
    bullet Do not crowd the oven with extra pans.  Air must circulate freely around them. Save the extra batter in their pans, in the refrigerator, while the first half bakes if you don't have room in your oven.  Extra batter stored in the mixing bowl has a greater chance of deflating.
    If you are doubling a recipe containing gelatin and 2 cups of liquid, double the amount of gelatin and use only 3-3/4 cups of liquid.
    bullet The baking times will probably lengthen, but the oven temperature stays the same.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

I don't know about converting......but I wanted to tell you to pop those sweet potatoes into the microwave or oven and bake them whole. Peel and Mash. Taste the same as if you had peeled and boiled and so much easier, IMO. We do this when making the sweet potato casserole. (recipe is like the one you're making)

False

Maybe I have been at too many functions where the hosts underestimated the appetites of people attending but if you are serving 30 as opposed to 20 the extra 10 people would mean quite a different/ larger quantity.

I attended some parties where a "popular" recipe was eaten before the last of the diners got to try it.A not so popular recipe lingered long after....Wink

Doubling "some" of the recipes if 30 do attend and the food is served over several days would not be enough IMHO.~A

To give an example JMO ..... doubling the recipe below would be only  8 potatoes which seems insufficient if  30 people might attend or some people take seconds.  My thought would be If the roast beef serves 10--12 and 24 people come and 4  people have second helpings or larger helpings than expected, doubling the roast recipe would not make enough servings .

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
    FILLING:
    2 lbs. sweet potatoes, about 4, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract......................

Mashed Potatoes for Fifty

Makes 50 - 3/4 cup servings.  This recipe can be cut in half to serve 25........ From a quantity site

bushel of potatoeshint:  If you do not own a commercial sized mixer, prepare potatoes in 2-3 batches.  Potatoes must be mashed or whipped while they are hot or they will not hold together.  They can be made 1 week in advance and frozen in tightly sealed containers.  Defrost in the refrigerator, 5-6 hours.  Transfer to baking dishes and reheat in a low oven or in the microwave.  Stir often.  They can also be made 1-2 days in advance.  Store in tightly sealed containers in the refrigerator.  Reheat as above      

16 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
    2-2½ quarts milk or half-half, heated
    2 sticks butter, melted
    3 tablespoons salt

Peel and eye the potatoes.  Cut into even pieces.     For large quantity cooking, boil potatoes in a large kettle or stockpot.  Do not overload the pot.  Use two pots or cook in batches,  25-35 minutes or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork but do not fall apart.   Drain well in a colander and place hot potatoes in a mixing bowl.  Mash by hand or beat with a mixer briefly.  Add the hot milk, melted butter and salt.  Continue mixing until desired texture is reached. 

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009