recipe for deep fried chicken | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

recipe for deep fried chicken

Last post Dec 30, 2010 7:36 PM by Margielou_wa . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • recipe for deep fried chicken

Well I am on the subject of looking for a recipe for deep fried onion rings, I would like one for deep fried chicken as well. I used to make seep fried chicken as well and have not done so for many years. I can't remember if I used to dip it in flour first and then egg mixture and then I thought either crushed saltines of crushed  corn flakes. Would appreciate some of your reicpes for this.

Also when I googled onion rings, most of them just call for the wet batter, but I thought I used to do the flour first and then the egg mixture .Appreciate your help

False
  • Re: recipe for deep fried chicken

When I do onion rings I dip them in cornstarch first then in prepared pancake dough.

Fried chicken, I soak in buttermilk then dredge in flour and deep fry. Season the flour with whatever you like.

If you want to use cracker crumbs you can dip it in flour, egg wash then cracker crumbs.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
  • Re: recipe for deep fried chicken

Here is a recipe that Sunny Anderson did on the Food Network.  I did it but did not brine in Cider.  I just soaked it in salt water for a while before continuing the recipe.  It did turn out very good.

Cider brined fried chicken from sunny

2 cups apple cider

1/2 cup salt

1 (4 1/2 to 5-pound) chicken, cut into 10 pieces

Water

2 eggs

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup cornstarch

2 quarts vegetable shortening, for frying

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk together cider and salt until salt dissolves. Add chicken pieces and enough water to coat and soak 1 hour in the refrigerator. Chicken should be completely submerged in brine.

In a large pot, heat vegetable shortening until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 325 degrees F. Line a sheet tray with a wire rack.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cayenne and black pepper. In a paper bag, shake together flour and cornstarch. Drain chicken from brine and dip in batches first in egg mixture then in flour mixture to coat. Set on wire rack to let coating sit for 10 minutes. In 2 batches, fry chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the piece.

I don't use as much cayenne pepper as the recipe calls for.  Sunny says the paper ba is the best way to coat the chicken.  The mixture does not stick to the sides of the bag.  Just drop in the pieces and shake until coated.  Marge

False