Does anyone know the secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone know the secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch?

Last post Jan 18, 2011 8:50 AM by aubie2 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Does anyone know the secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch?

I have been trying to find the perfect angel food cake recipe.  I don't like all the chemicals they put in the mixes these days.  I made one the other day and while it tastes pretty good, I think it could have been a little higher and lighter.  Does anyone have any tips for me?  One thing someone told me is that the egg whites should be room temperature and mine were cold straight from the fridge.

False
  • Re: Does anyone know the secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch?

I always have success with this recipe, it's from and old Betty Crocker cookbook and I feel the water and not beating the egg whites too dry is what makes this cake moist: My tips are at the end.........

ANGEL FOOD CAKE Sift together:1 cup plain flour½ cup sugar½ teaspoon salt  Beat until stiff peaks form:1 & ¼ cups egg whites2 Tablespoons water1 teaspoon cream of tartar Fold in:½ teaspoon each of vanilla and almond flavorings Fold in:Dry ingredients

Pour into and ungreased tube pan and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Recuce heat to 250 and bake another half hour or until done. ( toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean)

I always start with room temp eggs and beat them just till they're foamy and stif peaks form. Overbeating them makes them dry  which results in a dry cake.

I assemble my dry ingredients together and sift together to mix well. Then when it's time to fod them intothe egg whites, I sift them over the whites before I start folding.

Folding was the hardest thing for me to do. I was afraid not to make sure everything was wet. An angel food cake and muffins are alike in my mind, ( the less you mix, the better off you are)they require just enough folding to moisten the ingredients. And when I fold, I use a spatula with a very large "paddle" on the end. I slice down through the center of my whites and dry ingredients, scrape along the bottom and up the sided of the bowl, and then kinda spread the contents on the spatula over the batter as I go back to the middle to repeat the procedure, turning my bowl with each downward stroke to get to a new place in the egg whites.

I sincerely hope this makes sense to you.Then, after baking for the required time, I invert my cake pan with cake inside over a wine bottle and let it completely cool before removing from the pan. This keeps it high and light for me. Good luck with your next cake and let us know how it turns out. Wink

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

• Re: Does anyone know the secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch?

I'm so sorry, I tried to go back and edit the recipe, copying it onto a word doc and reposting it , but it still runs together. Sad I wish Reiman would correct whatever makes this happen.

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

DAR lady

I'm so sorry, I tried to go back and edit the recipe, copying it onto a word doc and reposting it , but it still runs together. Sad I wish Reiman would correct whatever makes this happen.

DAR lady... I thought I would try to help with clearing up this recipe. Hope you don't mind my doing so... Anyway, I c/p it to my doc page, so lets see

ANGEL FOOD CAKE

Sift together: 1 cup plain flour, ½ c. sugar, 1 t. salt.

Beat until stiff peaks form:1 & ¼ c. egg whites, 2 T. water, 1 t. cream of tartar.

Fold in: ½ t. each vanilla and almond flavorings. Fold in dry ingredients.

Pour into and ungreased tube pan and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 250° and bake another half hour or until done. ( toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean)

I always start with room temp eggs and beat them just till they're foamy and stiff peaks form. Over beating them makes them dry which results in a dry cake.

I assemble my dry ingredients together and sift together to mix well. Then when it's time to fold them into the egg whites, I sift them over the whites before I start folding.

Folding was the hardest thing for me to do. I was afraid not to make sure everything was wet. An angel food cake and muffins are alike in my mind, (the less you mix, the better off you are) they require just enough folding to moisten the ingredients. And when I fold, I use a spatula with a very large "paddle" on the end. I slice down through the center of my whites and dry ingredients, scrape along the bottom and up the sides of the bowl, and then kinda spread the contents on the spatula over the batter as I go back to the middle to repeat the procedure, turning my bowl with each downward stroke to get to a new place in the egg whites.

I sincerely hope this makes sense to you. Then, after baking for the required time, I invert my cake pan with cake inside over a wine bottle and let it completely cool before removing from the pan. This keeps it high and light for me. Good luck with your next cake and let us know how it turns out.

how it comes out... cross your fingers! ha

False
    All things are possible but trust God for the best for you. -Karen Y.

They always used to say to only use an angel food cake pan.   The kind with the tiny tiny grooves inside.  And then to never use it for anything else.  Never grease the inside to use it with another kind of cake.   I haven't made one for years, but love them!  

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

My MIL is famous for her angel food cake.  She uses room temp eggs, cake flour sifted 15 times, and she whips the whites by hand in a copper bowl.  Other than that, it'a a basic recipe.

False

DAR lady
    I always have success with this recipe, it's from and old Betty Crocker cookbook

Just trying to see if I can get your recipe to copy here.

ANGEL FOOD CAKE

Sift together:

1 cup plain flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt  

Beat until stiff peaks form:

1 1/4 cups egg whites

2 Tablespoons water

1 teaspoon cream of tartar 

Fold in:

1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla and almond flavorings 

Fold in:Dry ingredients

Pour into an un-greased tube pan and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. 

Reduce heat to 250 and bake another half hour or until done. ( toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean)

False

Angel Food Cake Recipe

INGREDIENTS   

1 cup cake flour
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    12 egg whites
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS      

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). *
    • Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
    • Whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks in a large bowl.
    • Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks.
    • When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. (Do not over-mix.)
    • Put the batter into the tube pan.
    • Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched.
    • Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling.
    • Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate when cooled.
    • Note:
      • A 10 inch tube pan should be used in this recipe is clean and dry.
      • Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites.

False

Thanks so much Karen, for making the recipe readable! I thought using IE had corrected the problem but I guess not. I can't figure out why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I didn't mention that I also use a copper bowl to whip my egg whites and that I do it by hand. I don't know if that makes a difference though, since I've been making this cake for about 50 years now and I only acquired my copper bowl about 20 years ago. You do get the maxium volume from the egg whites due to the reaction of the copper and the albumin in the whites. But it's been so long since I baked my first cake without the use of the copper bowl I can't remember if they were as high and lilght as with it. Stick out tongue

I see you were able to get it to print right using your word doc Red. I'll try a different one and see if that works for me. Big Smile

False

tr;yi;ng again with "word perfect' to see if it works:

I always have success with this recipe, it's from and old Betty Crocker cookbook and I feel the water and not beating the egg whites too dry is what makes this cake moist: My tips are at the end.........

ANGEL FOOD CAKE

Sift together:

1 cup plain flour

½ cup sugar

½ teaspoon salt

Beat until stiff peaks form:

1 & ¼ cups egg whites

2 Tablespoons water

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Fold in:½ teaspoon each of vanilla and almond flavorings

Fold in:Dry ingredients

Pour into and ungreased tube pan and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Recuce heat to 250 and bake another half hour or until done. ( toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean)

False

Hummm, it worked using "word perfect" instead of "Microsoft word". I'll have to remember to transfer any recipes I post to the word perfect when I post them. I have always used Microsoft word but I must have over 1,000 recipes on my thumb drive in "word". Way too many to try and go through and re-copy them LOL But, at least I learned how to get the recipes to work, thanks to you Red Savage!!

False

I don't have a cooper bowl, but never knew it made that much difference.

PalmSpringsGirl sifting 15 times - wow.

I love angel food cake and I am glad for the tips.  Thank you....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

The secret to making a perfect angel food cake from scratch is to find the perfect recipe.  After trying many throughout the years, I now always go to this recipe from foodguy's mom.  It is a very flavorful and very high light cake...the Best (IMO)!!!       Diana

Mom’s Angel Food Cake

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

1 cup cake flour

1 ½ cups egg whites (12)

1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup granulated sugar

1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

½ teaspoon almond extract

¼ teaspoon salt 

1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375ºF.  

2. Mix powdered sugar and flour; set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms. Do not underbeat. 

3. Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10x4 inches. Cut gently through batter with metal spatula. 

4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife or long, metal spatula; remove from pan.

False
    Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away! Click for Manchester, United Kingdom Forecast

Diana!  How are you? Long time no talk to.  I love any recipe by foodguy and his wife.  Thanks for the recipe....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

My mother made angel food cakes from scratch.....she beat the egg whites by hand...had a special whip...cross wires in a circle....there is probably a name for it, but I don't know what it is.  She used a large Fiesta ware bowl....and a cake pan that grease has never touched!  I still have the pan, and although I use a mix, still use the pan and have never baked anything in it except an angel food cake.  It's what we all have as our birthday cake.  I also remember that when the cake was in the oven, we couldn't bounce around the house, because the cake might fall.  Thanks for the memories....................

False