Cake Balls w/ Homemade Frosting? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cake Balls w/ Homemade Frosting?

Last post May 10, 2011 7:35 PM by HeatherHH . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Cake Balls w/ Homemade Frosting?

I've never made cake balls before, but I'm interested in giving them a try.  Might even try it for the next covered dish dinner at church, as I'm guessing most would be interested.  But, while I love homemade buttercream frosting, or chocolate buttercream frosting, I do not care for store-bought frosting.

So has any one made cake balls with homemade frosting?  I'm not sure how much frosting to make, and also I'm not sure how my standard consistency compares to the store-bought.  So does anyone have a recipe using homemade frosting?

False

Wife & homeschooling mother to seven children, ages 11 years down to 3 months.  My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings!

• Re: Cake Balls w/ Homemade Frosting?

Hi,

I'm sorry I can help, but bumping up before it gets lost in the shuffle.

Good luck!

False

So far all I've been able to find is this recipe at Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cupcake-pops which suggests that 2 cups of frosting would be used for a 13x9 cake....

False

Wife & homeschooling mother to seven children, ages 11 years down to 3 months.  My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings!

I always make them with homemade frosting. I also don't like the canned stuff. I just mix in enough to get the right consistencey and it works great.  You can also use leftover cake that has already been frosted and just stir it together with more frosting.

chefly

False

I don't make them but I found this:

~A

!

Here's a Cake Ball tip:

Make them small. 

When I made them they

were much too

large for one person to eat-

because they are such rich

desserts.

I would suggest making

them about the

size of a ping pong ball. 

And I also think that

using homemade

Buttercream frosting

makes them

taste

MUCH better! 

Buttercream Frosting

1/3 c softened

butter/margarine

3 c powdered sugar

3 T milk

1 1/2 t vanilla

(sometimes I

use almond extract) 

Beat all ingredients

together

with a mixer. 

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/634588/5327202.aspx#5327202

There are 16 oz in most canned frostings

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

The last time I tasted these cake balls, I didn't like them because they tasted too much like the canned icing. I've thought about making them with butter cream...glad someone else tried them first! Now I know! I have a recipe for a swiss meringue buttercream that is really delicious. I think it would be great!!

S

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

HeatherHH

So far all I've been able to find is this recipe at Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cupcake-pops which suggests that 2 cups of frosting would be used for a 13x9 cake....

thanks so much for this I am going to make these for my renewal wedding ceremony in july...this will be a little project I will do with my seven year old little girl...she will love it....thanks for sharing....take care and god bless...

False

ScottsGrace
    I have a recipe for a swiss meringue buttercream that is really delicious.

Care to share the recipe with us?  Even the name of it sounds delicious!

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Thanks for all your help!  I think I'll try this for one of our church's covered dish dinner.  Maybe white cake with buttercream frosting and try both chocolate and white chocolate exteriors?  Hmmmmm....
    False

I was also given this link by Annie58 on the Field Editors forum, which uses scratch cake and frosting: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/how-to-make-cake-pops-078637

False

So how about sharing your recipe with us for the swiss meringue buttercream - PLEASE!....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Here's an addy that will bring you to LOTS of recipes for Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frostings!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Swiss+Meringue+Buttercream+Frosting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

False

Thanks you Paulette, so many to choose from.  I also hope to see ScottsGrace post her recipe too....

piggykins

False

Whoops! So sorry I didn't see the other posts asking for the recipe. Thanks Piggykins for letting me know! Here it is!!

The original recipe called for 2lbs of butter and it basically tasted like really sweet butter. It also called to add the vanilla in during the cooking of the meringue. So I've tweaked it a bit and this one is loved! I've also added almond extract to it with success. 

Swiss Meringue Buttercreme

2½ C Sugar

10 large Egg Whites

3 C (6 sticks or 1½ lbs) Butter, cut into pieces

2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

View full recipe

Place sugar and egg whites in the heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, and whisk until sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; it should feel completely smooth. But it should not be so hot that the liquid burns you...make sure the water is NOT boiling.

Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes.

Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after each addition. Butter should be firm but not cold (and definitely not soft). Don’t worry if the buttercreme appears curdled after all the butter has been added; it will become smooth again with continued beating. Add vanilla, and beat just until combined.

Switch to the paddle attachment, and beat on the lowest speed to eliminate any air pockets, about 5 minutes. If using buttercream within several hours, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature in a cool environment.

This recipe is easily halved!

This can be stored in the fridge but do not try to spread it on your cake until it has come back up to room temperature. Give it a good stir and then frost your cake. You may also add food coloring to this buttercreme at the same time you add the vanilla.

PS I copied this recipe from My Tastebook which is why the recipe name is highlighted. I think it's a link to all my recipes there...or it might just be a link to this recipe. Not sure if you can get in or not but it's there if you want it!

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Thank you for posting the recipe.  The swiss meringue butter cream sounds soooo good.  I copied it and will try as soon as I can.  Thanks again....

piggykins

False