Beef Scallopini Marsala | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Beef Scallopini Marsala

Last post Jan 22, 2014 5:09 PM by arelabs . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Beef Scallopini Marsala

I love this recipe.  It's an oldie of mine, posted way back.  I am making this for tonite's dinner, along with lasagna roll-ups.  The roll-ups are "an investment" portion of dinner, since I made them weeks ago and froze six of them.

I use thin-sliced sirloin sandwich steaks, that I get in one-pound packages at my local Centrella grocery store.  They sometimes are on sale for $2.99/lb.  They really don't need much pounding to get thinner, but I use my Deni meat tenderizer, or you can use a mallet tenderizer (pointy side) to further break down any fibers.  This makes for melt-in-your mouth pieces of meat.  Even at over $3.00/lb, a one-pound package makes at least ten portions, when cut.  Today, I'm using sweet Vermouth, because that's what I have available to use up.  Browning the meat barely takes any time, maybe 35-40 seconds per side.  The meat portions look and taste like a restaurant dish.

This recipe doesn't use mushrooms, but you can add them if you wish.  Also, I prefer thinner pieces than what's shown.

I sometimes mix Panko crumbs (if I have them) with Italian bread crumbs for more texture.

Beef Scallopine Marsala

2 3/4-lb beef top round steaks, each cut 1/4" thick
    1 egg
    3 Tbsp milk
    1 3/4 cups dried bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 garlic clove, sliced
    3/4 cup water
    2 tsp all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup Marsala wine
    1/4 cup minced parsley
    1 beef-flavored bouillon cube or envelope

1. On cutting board, with meat mallet or dull edge of French knife, pound each beef top round steak to 1/8" thickness. Cut steaks into about 4" x 2" pieces.

2. In pie plate, beat egg with milk. On waxed paper, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Dip meat in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.

3. In 2" skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Cook garlic and one-third of meat until meat is lightly browned; remove to platter; keep warm. Repeat with remaining meat, using 1/2 cup butter in all. In cup, mix water with flour.

4. Discard garlic; melt remaining butter in skillet. Add water mixture, Marsala, parsley, bouillon. Cook, stirring until thickened; pour over meat. Serve with rice.

Arlene

My tenderizer:

False
  • Re: Beef Scallopini Marsala

What does marsala wine taste like? Is it red or white? Can I substitute beef broth for the wine as dh doesn't like wine.  I like your tenderizer.  Will you post your lasagna roll up recipe please.  Dh and I love lasagna but mine takes time and if I could make roll ups and freeze them and take out when needed that would be great.

How are you doing? Haven't been on here for awhile as I've been sick.  It's so hard with the way the weather changes from day to day - I want spring....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

Piggykins - Marsala comes in two varieties - sweet or dry.  If you want to, sure, you can increase the broth by 1/2 cup in place of the Marsala wine. Just zip up the finishing sauce to go along with your own preferences or tastes.

As to the lasagna roll-ups, I don't follow a specific recipe, but this is the filling I use, as I do when I make Baked Zit:

Cheese Filling:
    2 containers (15oz each) ricotta cheese
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 pkg (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 eggs (I prefer using only 1 egg)
    1T chopped parsley
    1t salt
    1/4t pepper

Cook the lasagna noodes, drain, rinse, then spread with cheese mixture (maybe 1/3 cup or so).  Roll up and place seam side down in a pan that has a layer of sauce covering the bottom.  Top the rolls with additional sauce, cover with foil, and bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes;  uncover, top with shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese, bake until cheese is melted.

If you want to freeze the rolls, prepare them as you would for  baking, but freeze prior to baking.  Thaw and bake.  You can freeze them in single portions, or larger, whichever you prefer.  

I prefer rolls to stuffed shells, or even a pan of lasagna, as they're easier to freeze in portions.

Arlene

False

Thank you.  The lasagna roll ups sound good, so does the baked ziti - mind sharing that recipe.  I love pasta - baked, stuffed shells - even thouugh I don't have a good recipe I've tried yet....

piggykins

False

I posted the Baked Ziti earlier today:

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/821033/7013916.aspx#7013916

False

Where did you post it? The link you posted won't work for me.  I'd love that recipe.  Thanks Arlene....

piggykins

False

Piggy - the link is fine, it worked for me.  You just needed to scroll upscreen a little for the recipe.Wink

Baked Ziti Casserole

Sauce:
    1/4 c olive oil or salad oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 can (28oz) crushed Italian tomatoes
    1 can (6oz) tomato paste
    2T chopped parsley
    1T salt
    1T sugar
    1t basil
    1t dried oregano leaves
    1/4t pepper
    1lb ziti
    3T grated Parmesan cheese

Cheese Filling:
    2 containers (15oz each) ricotta cheese
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 pkg (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 eggs (I prefer using only 1 egg)
    1T chopped parsley
    1t salt
    1/4t pepper

In 6-qt kettle, saute garlic until lightly browned. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 1/2 cups water, parsley, salt, sugar, oregano, basil and pepper. Mix well, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, one hour.

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Cook ziti as package directs. In large bowl, combine cheeses, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Beat with wooden spoon until blended. Spoon a little tomato sauce in 5-quart(9x13) casserole. Layer a third of the ziti, cheese mixture, sauce, sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese, repeat twice. Bake uncovered 45 minutes, or until bubbling in center.

Note: If desired, make casserole ahead and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator while preheating oven. Bake 60 minutes or until heated through.

False

I still couldn't get it to work for me.  Guess I don't know how to scroll up screen the right way.  Your recipe sounds so darn good.  Wish I had it right now.  Weather advisory for us just came on yuck 8-10 inches of snow from tomorrow night thru monday morning.  Good grief it was just starting to get some snow melting yuck, yuck....

piggykins

False

Arlene I forgot to tell you, a few years back on the food network tyler florence made some baked ziti that looked so good and cheesey.  Although his had ground beef (I think) in it.  I still haven't found found his recipe even at the food network.  Now 'cause of you I guess I won't have to....

piggykins

False

Arlene - I made this for dinner last night using the thin pepper steaks that I pounded a bit.  Had fresh mushrooms so added them after I cooked them to the dish toward the end.  Delicious!  This will be a keeper!!  Thank you!

False

AnnStar

Ann - wonderful!!  Thanks for letting me know!  I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe.

Arlene

False