R*R ~ Crispy Baked Collard Greens ~ Chef & Jill ~ Right on !!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R*R ~ Crispy Baked Collard Greens ~ Chef & Jill ~ Right on !!!

Last post Dec 10, 2011 11:08 AM by Alliea . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • R*R ~ Crispy Baked Collard Greens ~ Chef & Jill ~ Right on !!!

You guys were right on the Money with this one !  What a wonderful surprise~  I never doubted it  but I certaily was Not prepared for the outstanding results   that I got !~

The leaves feel like tissue paper and they are crispy like a potato chip ~  The leaves all curl up and some of the edges will brown up as well. 

You need to season them real well before baking and stir them up a few times during  that baking time~  I am so glad you gals discovered this one ~  Jill, I remember you saying how you and Mr went through a whole bag ~   I can really see why ~ 

The thing that most amazed me is the texture.  They almost dissolve,  My first bite I thought , now this is different and by the fourth one I has hooked.  The flavor completely transformes inteelf into a marvelouls little treat ~ Like I said season really well in the beginning for best results!

I used Collard Greens~  and I seasoned them with some sea salt, black pepper and minced garlic ~ about 2 cloves. Toss with a good portion of olive oil. You want each and evey leaf coated.  I also removed the hard rib that runs down the middle of the leaves. And then I sliced  them~ Into bite sized pieces.  You will be shocked at the shrinkage.

The sided sheet pan was  completely ful. And when they were  done I had  mere bowlful.  I also lined the sheet pan with foil. It doesn't take long so keep an eye out or leave the light on so you can check on them frequently.

Now that I have sampled and sealed the deal with this recipe I am going to branch out and will play around with other spices  to use ~  I bet lemon infused olive oil would also be wonderful. And what a fabulous topping for Mac and cheese or a nice chickpea salad !~  As Tony would raor ~  It's  Great "!!  Janie

Crispy Baked Greens ~ 

One can use Kale, collard or mustard greens.  I am not sure about spinach as the leaves are not as tough as the other choices. 

One bag of your choice. ( cleaned and chopped.  Not too small as they will shrink)

Olive oil

salt and pepepr

Minced garlic if desired.

Olive oil

Toss all in a large bowl.  Spread out on a foil or parchament lined sheet pan.  Oven set at 350.  Bake for about 12-20 minutes ( i'd check after 12 minutes)

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

• Re: R*R ~ Crispy Baked Collard Greens ~ Chef & Jill ~ Right on !!!

You talked me in to it...and I am going to grow them as one would never be able to buy them here...

How big do you let the leaves grow? I know nothing about collard greensEmbarrassed

False

Linda,  My Isaland friend gave it to me from her garden.  The leaves were huge ~ Larger  then cabbage. 

If I had to guess ~ Folded they were as long as a Bunch of romaine lettuce and width wise perhgaps  9" ~ This is pure speculation ~ Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

okay..we will see how it grows and goes!

False

Cool beans Ms. Janie. If you have any of the nutritional yeast left, try sprinkling that on them after they come out of the oven. I love that on them!! I've made this about 10 times since...lol, and am almost burned out on them, but in a few weeks I'll probably be right back there. I found a place that has kale for $1.00, so couldn't help myself for a while.

So glad they worked out for you! Thank-you for the great review, and to Chefly for her recipe.

False

This is what clinched it for me...such an easy treat! I used kale, and it does have a rather cruciferous aroma when cooking...

http://www.danispies.com/archives/howto_video/kale_chips_-_video.php

I'll try collards next! Thanks, friends! Yes

Margaret

False

Thanks M.  I forgot where I found it ~ I just googled and the instructions are so plain I just wrote it down.

Now I forget how Chef made hers ~  Probably was the same.  Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

I keep forgeting about this goodie.Gotta make a batch or 2 or---

Thanks again everyone for the r n r`s

Rosie

False

For some tips and ideas.  Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Gm.

Very Unique!

Thanks for the Heads up on something different, Janie, Jill and Chefly.

~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009