It's too hot to turn on the oven, what do you make in your electric frying pan/electric skillet? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

It's too hot to turn on the oven, what do you make in your electric frying pan/electric skillet?

Last post Aug 05, 2010 1:24 PM by Fishin4Recipes . 122 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 9 (123 items) 12345Last >
  • It's too hot to turn on the oven, what do you make in your electric frying pan/electric skillet?
    My mom gave me her old electric frying pan. What do you make in yours?
    False
  • RE: It's too hot to turn on the oven, what do you make in your electric frying pan/electric skillet?
    An electric skillet is nice to have for those times when a recipe is too big to fit in a frypan.

Nothing specific is coming to mind here. I did type in electric skillet up above under Search. Much to my delight, the search feature actually brought up a bunch of information! Hope it helps you.
    False
  • RE: It's too hot to turn on the oven, what do you make in your electric frying pan/electric skillet?
    I use mine to make anything I would make in my oven or stove. Roasts,chops,burgers, you name it. Its like using the stove burner for cooking and when you put the lid on, its like using the oven for cooking. Hope that makes sense! Take care!
    Jackie
    False
    Redraspberrygirl -

I just went to the link posted by Jennihusker a while back, which I found when I typed in electric skillet on the Search above.

It takes you to www.cooks.com, and when you do electric skillet on their recipe search, it comes up with at least a million recipes!

Thanks for posting this question, and thanks, Jennihusker, for the link. I will find lots of uses for my electric skillet from this! (Good thing I bought paper today for my printer!)
    False
    Thanks I tried searching electric frying pan on the BB and didn't find much. Now that I typed in electric skillet I found more, lol. Another Canadian version U.S. vocabulary lesson, lol.
    False
    Posted by: deedal_ON Posted on: 7/4/2003 7:50:00 PM
    #R1789017

ARROZ CON POLLO (Rice with Chicken)

This is a great meal in one pot to cook on the patio. I do it in a deep electric fry pan. All you need alongside it is a salad.

In a little butter in Dutch oven or deep electric fry pan, brown in a mixture of butter and veg oil: 2-1/2 to 3 lbs chicken pieces (skin removed). Drain on paper towels. Set aside

Soften in a little butter in Dutch oven or deep electric fry pan:
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 3 mins)
    Add::
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp Spanish paprika (that's the hot one)
    1/2 tsp Creole or Cajun spice
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    Cook, stirring, about 1 minute more

Add: 1 cup raw rice
    Stir until rice is coated..

Add:
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
    2 - 2-1/2 cups chicken broth.
    Bring to boil

Return chicken pieces to Dutch oven or electric fry pan. Mix rice and liquid so it covers chicken pieces. Bake, covered, in Dutch oven at 375º to 400º F for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is done and rice is tender. Add chicken broth as required.

OR: Cook in deep electric frying pan, about 45 minutes at 220 (I don't know if that's Celsius or Fahrenheit)

Stir in : 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley.
    Adjust seasoning. Let stand, covered 5 minutes off heat.
    Serve direct from casserole or electric frying pan.

NOTE: This is essentially the same as Chicken Pilaf, except the chicken is in whole pieces.

I don't know anything about crock pots, so I can't tell you if it would work in one.

Colombe
    False
    Posted by: GreenChili Replies: 3 Posted on: 2/9/2004 6:54:24 PM
    #T301294
    This recipe is for the electric skillet but can also be made on the stove.

1 lb package of frozen Chinese style veggies
    4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
    1 Tbs oil or butter
    1/4 cup sherry
    2 Tbs soy sauce
    1 can of chicken broth
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp grated ginger root
    1- 2 tsp sesame oil, use the chili oil if you like it spicy
    Sliced green onions for garnish

Melt butter or oil in electric skillet
    and add the chicken. Add sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil and stir well. Add broth, vegetables, ginger, and garlic. Cover and cook until chicken and veggies are almost done, then add in mushrooms and cook until softened. Add in more broth or water if needed. Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with green onions.
    False
    Posted by: Puddenhead Replies: 5 Posted on: 11/17/2003 2:14:23 AM
    #T260631

Pepsi Cola Pork Chops

4-5 pork chops
    barbeque sauce
    ketchup
    salt

Place chops in skillet, (electric skillet works best) salt them, pour liberal amounts of the BBQ sauce and ketchup over them, then pour cola over them until they are floating in it. Cover and cook over med-low heat for 45 min. checking and turning 3-4 times, it will form a glaze type sauce.

False
    Posted by: tvlcat Posted on: 10/24/2002 1:55:01 PM
    #R728753
    Cabbage Ground Beef Skillet

1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
    1 cup long-grained raw rice
    15 ounce can tomato sauce
    6 ounce can tomato paste
    2 cups water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1 bay leaf

Brown ground beef in electric skillet. Stir to break up. Add onion, green pepper, cabbage and rice. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste or puree, water and seasonings. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary.

False
    Posted by: tvlcat Posted on: 10/24/2002 2:02:38 PM
    #R728788
    Exported from MasterCook

CHICKEN CACCIATORE (ELECTRIC SKILLET)

6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/3 cup All-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp Pepper
    1/4 cup Oil
    1 large Onion, sliced
    1 large Green pepper, cut into strips
    1/2 lb Fresh mushrooms, sliced
    2 Cloves garlic, minced
    3 cans Italian tomatoes
    1 tsp Dried oregano leaves
    1/2 tsp Dried basil leaves

Preheat 12-inch electric skillet to 350F. Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet; saute chicken for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet; saute onion and the next 3 ingredients until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and spices, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to 225F and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the chicken; cook for 15 minutes longer until chicken is done. Would be great if you could find a way to cook some spaghetti to put it over!
    False
    Posted by: DL53 Posted on: 10/24/2002 2:08:28 PM
    #R728821
    SKILLET LASAGNA

1 lb ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can (28oz) tomatoes, and the juice
    2 tsp dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    8 lasagna noodles
    mozzarella cheese

Cook beef, onions, and garlic until browned. Drain fat if necessary. Add tomatoes (break up a little)and juice, and the spices. Remove about 2/3 of the mixture, layer on 4 noodles, 1/2 the sauce, 4 more noodles, remaining sauce. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Sprinkle with shredded or sliced mozzarella and cover until melted. (May need a little water added, check during the cooking.)
    False
    Posted by: stellaann Posted on: 10/24/2002 6:05:14 PM
    #R729455
    I HAVE A GREAT PORK CHOP RECIPE MY MOM GAVE ME YEARS AGO.

BROWN 6 TO 8 PORK CHOPS IN OIL.(I USE THE BONELESS CENTER CHOPS, YOU CAN USE ANY KIND). WHILE THEY'RE COOKING.
    MIX 1 CAN OF CREAM OF CELERY SOUP WITH 1/2 CAN OF WATER. POUR THIS OVER THE TOP OF CHOPS,COVER AND LET SIMMER FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR. THE PORK CHOPS WILL BE SO TENDER. YOU CAN USE THE JUICES AS A GRAVY OVER PASTA, POTATOES OR WHATEVER YOU'D LIKE.
    ENJOY
    STELLAANN
    False
    Posted by: joey2000_50 Posted on: 10/24/2002 11:16:46 PM
    #R730539
    I know how you feel. I cooked alot with the help of an electric skillet when we built our home. This was always a hit ....Melt a stick of margarine in the skillet, at 325 degrees.
    Mix your favorite meatloaf recipe & place in middle of skillet.
    Place a bag of frozen green beans in one end of skillet & 5 med. potatoes, unpeeled & cut into wedges at other end.
    Cook covered for 45 minutes. Remove all at once & make gravy with the leftover drippings. This all cooks together & gets done all at the same time. Its yummy too!!!
    False
    Posted by: cathyb57_58_Mo Posted on: 10/25/2002 2:02:09 PM
    #R732461
    Didn't know if you found this or not.

Subject: This is delicious!
    Posted by: ToniT Replies: 2 Posted on: 10/11/2002 11:02:12 PM
    #T92816
    We love this dish and like to make it when having a party. Double or triple the recipe and it makes a huge tray. Always one of the first things to go.

KIELBASA WITH SWEET AND SOUR KRAUT

1 Package (1lb) kielbasa, sliced
    1 package (1lb) or 2 cans saeurkraut, drained but not squeezed dry.
    1/2 to 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 or 2 onions sliced thin
    1 stick of margarine or butter

In electric skillet (or large frypan with cover on top of stove) melt margarine. Add sliced onions, cook over medium heat until translucent. Do not burn or brown. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar to onions and mix well. Add drained sauerkraut and mix well. Add sliced kielbas and stir. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often and adding more brown sugar and margarine as needed. You want the saeurkraut to be soft and have a smoky flavor. YUM this is good! Dinner all in 1 pot.

Kathy

False
    Posted by: cathyb57_58_Mo Posted on: 10/25/2002 2:02:09 PM
    #R732461
    Didn't know if you found this or not.

Subject: This is delicious!
    Posted by: ToniT Replies: 2 Posted on: 10/11/2002 11:02:12 PM
    #T92816
    We love this dish and like to make it when having a party. Double or triple the recipe and it makes a huge tray. Always one of the first things to go.

KIELBASA WITH SWEET AND SOUR KRAUT

1 Package (1lb) kielbasa, sliced
    1 package (1lb) or 2 cans saeurkraut, drained but not squeezed dry.
    1/2 to 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 or 2 onions sliced thin
    1 stick of margarine or butter

In electric skillet (or large frypan with cover on top of stove) melt margarine. Add sliced onions, cook over medium heat until translucent. Do not burn or brown. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar to onions and mix well. Add drained sauerkraut and mix well. Add sliced kielbas and stir. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often and adding more brown sugar and margarine as needed. You want the saeurkraut to be soft and have a smoky flavor. YUM this is good! Dinner all in 1 pot.

Kathy

False