Welcome to the PCH Kitchen ---May 2011 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen ---May 2011

Last post Jun 01, 2011 10:25 AM by dangit . 91 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 12345Last >
  • Welcome to the PCH Kitchen ---May 2011

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are physically challenged homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

OUR DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN 

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

• Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen ---May 2011

Good day girls,

Just peeked in looking for a recipe and noticed that we did not have our door flung open for our brand new month.

Do hope that everyone is enjoying a pleasent weekend and feeling great.

Have to make this short for now, right in the middle of preparing dinner. We are being promised some rain so sure hope the weather man knows what he is talking about. Texas in our area is mighty dry.

Leaving hugs in the basket and apple pie on the counter so help yourselves.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Hi Nancy, glad to see the Kitchen door open and leting the nice fresh air in. Hope you got the needed rain. Did you find a good recipe?

Ann, hope Jim got home for the weekend. Sorry to hear about your Father. Always hard to be far away when parent is in the hospital.

Hi Debbie, glad your family is safe from the tornado. Sounded like a nice cookout. Good your DD has a thorough doc.

Hi Lin, good to have you post in April. Trying any good recipes?

Connie, forgot where you and Kerry were going this weekend but hope you had a good trip.

Well Gals, repairs on house are finally done. Contractor cleaned up rest of his things on Saturday. Was without hot water for a couple of days because of workers mistake. They forgot to turn on faucet when refilling tank and it had air caught in bottom and burned out element. Contractor bought new element and he paid. Got bill in mail on Saturday. Shocked!! Will have to call on Monday for some explaining. They just gave me total charge and didn't break down any of the item charges. Sure doesn't sound right.

Giving a wave and wishing everyone a nice May.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Hi Gals, thought I better bump us up for the week. Sometimes hard to find a new month. I always put the Kitchen in favorites to easily find it. It was a lovely sunny day yesterday. First day this year that house warmed up more then furnace setting. I got outside for 1 1/2 hours. Now today is overcast with some rain and 10 degrees cooler. But another nice day is possible this week.

Wishing all a very nice week with signs of spring everywhere.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

• Embarrassed [:$]
    Help! I posted on one of Ann's Openings.
    False

I'llbump this up but no time to actually sit and one-finger type out hellos to everyone...got to get a hot bath to ease my painful rash, and soak my achy back and knees. I really hate getting old. In about 7 months will hit the ole 70 mark. Does not seem possible but it's staring me down. Yes Deery, I'll have some new, easy recipes for you to make quickly and get your lunches outside again. 

Guess I won't start my own page for May also, since I've got little to say to fill it up, or time either of late.   Big SmileYesHugs to all.

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Debbie, I found a PCH May Kitchen that Ann oppened May 2. The only message was from GrannyBarbie. If you can find your message you can copy and paste in here. You had a message from April 30 in April Kitchen. It was last message in April.

Ann, I hope you notice this May Kitchen. My computer loads too slow to keep going back to old rooms and leave message to let people know that this Kitchen is opened.

I will post GrannyBarbies message.                     Hugs, Deery

Good Morning! was hoping some of Nancy's Peach Pie was here and still warm but I'll come by again sometime.  I love the sound of the screen door ... so welcoming ... and so peaceful .... we still have an old screen door on our front door and caught Papa with the little oil can and asked him to wait awhile longer ... love the sound with the grandsons in and outs.

I'm one of the old timers who was here at the first of PCH and with Nancy's "urging" decided to stop by.... give a few hugs .... voice some prayers .... and especially to say "howdy" from another Texas Gal.

As long as the Lord gives me new sunrises to witness each day .... I am doing well. Spent some more time in the hospital for more transfusions but this time I came home with my arms in such better condition with only bruising. But I didnt come to yap about me but to see how each of you are doing ....

God's blessings upon each of y'all and hugs, GrannyBarbie

False

Good afternoon ladies,

So good to each of you today. Have been trying to get to the kitchen all day, now that Bill has gone to pick up Terry maybe now I can make it. LOL Who ever said it would be good to have a retired husband at home 24/7 does not know mine. **giggle** But still happy to have him even if sometimes he is a bit much. LOL

Deery thank you so much for keeping us bumped up and bringing GrannyBarbie along with you. Its so good to hear that the repairs on your home finished. Do hope that it did not hit the old pocket book too badly. Know that repairs anymore are sure steep. Yes we did get a small shower yesterday. Not anywhere close to what we needed but sure grateful for every drop of rain we can get right now. Have not checked on the Texas fires today but hopefully the rain did help those in that area. 50 miles was the closest they have come to us so far. PTL.....just read back on your post about the repairs. Yes do ask of a itemized list. Those guys very often do try to take advantage of women and once we pass 55 they really go for it. When the AC fellow found out that I had checked their business out with the BB you should have seen what good service we got.LOL Just hope that amount will come down for you.

Hi Lin, sure sorry that you have a painful rash along with a achy back and knees. Do hope that a nice hot soak helped. Did you get my reply to your email? Know that our emails don't always make it. Joining you with the not enjoying getting those aches and pains with what the doctors seem to always blame on age.....I wonder. :>)

GrannyB its so good to see you in the kitchen once again. Glad to hear that your last trip to the hospital did not leave you all bruised up from the transfusion. Just hate to see you have to have them but if they help, thats what counts. Wish we had a back door that needed oiling. LOL Ours are the kind without a screened door and sure miss one. Only way to get in some nice fresh air without the flying buggers is to open a window.

Ann I see we both flung open the old kitchen door. LOL....well good minds think alike I have heard. :>) So sorry to hear about your Dad. Do hope that he is doing well Know how hard it is not to be with our parents when they are hurt or ill. Keeping him in my prayers.

Debbie it was good to hear that you folks did not get damage from the tornado. How is your DD doing? Will she be having the lump removed? Prayers are with her hon.

Do hope that our Connie gal is enjoying her trip . Deery she was going to Missouri for her brothers 50th ann.

Liz do hope that you and Duane are both well. Sending hello's your way.

Well girls really think I have bite off about more then I can chew today. LOL Just about finished with a large laundry and of all times to make chicken and noodles from sctatch. Need to get back to the kitchen and see if the old hen is done yet and ready for deboneing. Laura keeps going into the kichen in hopes. LOL

Wishing all a good day and do hope that all of this news on TV is not being too depressing for you. At least we did have a sweet wedding to enjoy so all of it was not bad. *sigh*

Leaving hugs in the basket and the chicken and noodles should be ready in about a hour so pull up a chair and dig in if you are hungry. :>)

False

Hi girls,

Had a few minutes before my show comes on so went hunting for Ann's and Debbies posts.

This one is Ann's

Hi Girls,

Noticed no one opened a new month for the PCH room so here it is!

Hope everyone is doing well, Debbie I am so glad you and your family is safe. There has been so much devastation and loss of life from these storms, you are definetly blessed.

My dad got home today and seems very happy and moving alot better than I thought he would which is great. Have been busy here of course, Mother nature is taking her time deciding if we are going to have good weather or not.

Jim got home safely from Idaho and got alot of yard work done this weekend. Has been kind of hit and miss with the weather. Hope everyone is safe and doing well, we need to get better at this girls, about checking in even if it's a line or two so everyone knows everyone is o.k. That's myself included. You all take care and will check in soon. Hugs, Ann :)

This one is from Debbie

Count me present for today. Are you getting ready for a big turnout with 2 kitchen openings today? LOL We are all fine here so far. The tornado here was only an F-1 and was about 300 feet across. Elementary schools went back today, and I think DD said they are trying to get the High School kids back by Wednesday. I lived in NY when Tropical Storm Agnes played havoc with the East Coast in '72. The morning of our last day of school, our city started flooding. We lost our garden, but our house was in an area that rose away from the river, and creeks on all sides. My school had major repair work done that wasn't finished until almost midway through the next year. There were classes held in a church across the street, and HUD trailers set up in the back of the school for classes also. one of our hospitals made up our lunches in 2 part trays. One aluminum with the hot part, and a plastic cookie like container with plastic cutlery, fruit, salad or bread. They were the pits!! except there was a packaged garlic salad dressing, that I never could find. gotta go time for bed. LTA

A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands---Paula Deen

The Lord has curious ways of granting our wishes. But all is best in His own good time.---Charles Tritten

Debbie

False

Big SmileLong time no see

False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.

Good morning to you dear Holly.   Have sure missed you and John.  Do let us know how you have been and what you have been up to!!

Good morning to the rest of my dear PCH family.  Do hope that you all had a refreshing and restful night and are enjoying a great week......It has been cool here in Texas now for the past three days. But think we may be warming up a bit today.......have missed my shorts. LOL

Will peak in again later.  The boss is needing my attention. LOL

False

Howdy Ladies. I've finally settled down today, been jittery about deciding whether to go out in the COLD with freezing on schedule tonight, and finally it got too late.Big Smile I needed Flexeril today but managed without, and debated about going to CVS for Tylenol for these days when pain is getting too intense for the Ultram, Naproxen, and Flexeril to tone down some. Thinking I'm about ready for some higher doses pretty soon. I don't use but bare minimum since I drive and take care of meals and home by myself. I'd really like a housecleaner but no funds for that. Oh well.

Misses Barbie, you sure keep scarce, don't cha? The old days on this site with about 30 who joined in your tales of picnics by the lake on a hillside were so funny. I hope you are not in loads of pain. It is just so hard to deal with.Ann and I have basically identical problems Whatever she's complaining with hurting at any time is the same for me also. Well, not those migraines; I don't get those often at all, only if sunlight reflects off windows, mirrors or chrome-types stuff. Then I'm blinded. Holly, very good to see you too. Deery so glad you are getting jobs done for awhile. It's awful having to pay so much for simple jobs. I am very fortunate to be renting.  I've done the ownership of 6 homes in my life, and never missed a one later on. Just too much never-ending improvements or repairs, and not much fun at that. Nancy and Liz, I owe you both, so will do that soon as I can. I made a pepperoni pizza for dinner and loaded it with black pepper and garlic and a super big amount of pizza sauce then ate 1/2 of it. I am completely stuffed. I haven't been food shopping since the first of April so that will have to be done this week or end. I've been out of Simply Orange OJ so long,I could drink half of that biggest jug, so guess I better get two. Well, I'm pooed out. Deb, I hope things get even better for you and family. You've all had so much to deal with , it must worry you no end. Connie, I know you are out there working in the sunlight as soon as you can get outdoors, aren't you? Hope everyone here is feeling the Springtime flowing through yourselves. Maybe it'll warm up for those of us onthe West Coast and the East Coast. We can pray for it. My Dogwoods bloomed one day then were gone with the sweeping winds through here 50  and 60 mph, from the hurricane/tornadoes that tore through, was it 8 states? Unreal.Anyway, hoping you are feeling well and happy, everyone! TTYS...

Crockette-Beef Pot Roast for Two

1 small potato, sliced
    1 carrot, pared and sliced
    1 small onion, sliced
    Salt & Pepper
    1 lb. beef roast, trim off fat unless browning in skillet (try boneless pork)
    Kitchen Bouquet, opt.
    2 T. water

Place vegetables in bottom of Crockette.Salt and pepper meat, then place in pot.Brush with Kitchen Bouquet, if desired.Add water.Cover and cook 10-12 hours.
    VARIATION: Prepare a 1-1/2 lb. roast without vegetables; season with salt and pepper.Add no liquid.Cook 10 hours.

My Note: I love extra vegetables of color added, such as peeled tomatoes, thawed peas, also extra potato, onion and carrot.Adding minced garlic, green and/or red Bell pepper strips or squares adds a slightly different flavor.I like having leftover vegetables to go with a sandwich of roast beef.

Cook for 2 Baked Crabcakes

1 can (6 oz.) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
    1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/4 cup shredded carrot
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 T. butter, melted
    1 tsp. minced fresh parsley
    1 tsp. mayonnaise
    3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp. ground mustard
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    Tartar sauce, opt.

Combine the first 11 ingredients.Shape in 4 patties; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.Place crab cakes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake @350° 25 minutes or until golden brown.Serve with tartar sauce if desired.Yield: 2 servings. Since I can't have any type of shellfish, I use the imitation.

Tiny Texas Sheet Cakes from Cooking for 2
    These tiny sheet cakes boast a homemade chocolate flavor as big as Texas itself, reports Hope Meece from her home in Ambia, Indiana. "The cakes are moist, freeze well unfrosted and always bring compliments," she adds. I was thinking of this cake some days ago, of course this time I have to leave out the cocoa parts but that works okay too..I believe this is from TOH magazine.I have a folder by the name of Cooking for 2 in my Yahoo, so wichtever... it is still delicious.

1/4 cup butter, cubed
    1/4 cup water
    1 T. baking cocoa
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon (I omit)
    Dash salt
    2 T. beaten egg
    2 T. milk
    FROSTING:
    2 T.butter
    4-1/2 tsp. milk
    1 T. baking cocoa
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 tsp. vanilla
    2 T. chopped pecans, toasted, opt.
    In large pan, bring butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Immediately remove from heat. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir into butter mixture.Add egg and milk; mix well.Pour into two 5-3/4x3x2" loaf pans that are sprayed.Bake @350° 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.In small microwave-safe bowl, melt butter; add milk and cocoa.Microwave on high 30 seconds. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.Spread over cakes.Sprinkle with pecans if desired.Yield: 4 servings. Lin.
    Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Sorry, that word "whichever" made me laugh. There is something screwy with this thing, typing out 3-5 words before any will post, and some letters got out of order. That was one I missed correcting!

False

Hello and happy May. Can't believe Mother's Day is this coming Sunday. Where does the time go?

Good amounts of sun today so a friend called and asked if I wanted to go to the nature reserve and see if the bleeding hearts were blooming. She took her camera but there weren't an awful lot of them yet. We haven't had much sun this past month and there are lots of trees shading the place so maybe that's why they were not in abundance. We enjoyed what was there though and the two ducks taking a nap on the shore of the pond. They didn't seem to care we sat down near them on a bench....too busy snoozing I guess.

We bought 43 lbs of cod from a friend who has an in with the fishing boat when it comes back from Alaska. No heads but otherwise whole fish which are frozen into a rectangular block and bagged. Flash frozen on the boat to below zero. So we had to put the block into an ice chest and add water to thaw them out so Duane could fillet them and me to cut into portion size for the Food Saver bags. Took from Sun. night to this morning to get them all thawed and three episodes of working on them as they thawed out. The water still had chunks of ice and was really cold to put your hand into it. I should count the bags tomorrow and see how many meals we got for our $70. Had some for dinner tonight and it was good.

I bought two hanging baskets Sat. but since it is still down into the low 40's or colder at night I have been bringing them inside at night except for last night. I just covered them with a bath towel and left them outside. Our neighbor hung one up yesterday and didn't do a thing to it. One of mine has a fuschia in it and they don't like the cold to well otherwise I wouldn't have been so concerned. They had four inches of snow in the pass the other night so spring isn't in full force quite yet. One person on t.v. yesterday suggested lift tickets for a Mother's Day gift!   lol

Nice to see some of the awol ladies. Hope you come back soon. Holly, it has been a few years hasn't  it since you or John have been here on PCH?

They put new locks on all the 88 units plus the 22 on the entrance doors. Noticed today ours locks but the latch doesn't go into the door jam so even if you lock it you can push it open from the outside. So will stay home, at least one of us, until the maintainance man can get here after work tomorrow afternoon.

Hugs to all. Wishing those of you will ailments a good night.

Liz

False

Hi Gals, glad all the messages are now in one Kitchen. It was a lovely day in the neighborhood. The nicest day this year so far. I got outside for an hour this morning. This afternoon I set up the table on back deck and cleaned it off and set out and mostly read for a couple of hours. When I got this page loaded DD came over and I forgot  to close internet. So don't know if it will post or not sitting so long.

Hi Lin, I didn't mean to ignore you yesterday. I was in a hurry, starving for some lunch. Hope the hot bath was a help. Do you know what is causing the itching?

Hi Nancy, busy day of work for you yesterday. Chicken and noodles sounded delicious. Got any left for me to try?

Hi Debbie, glad Nancy could find your message to post here.

Hi Ann, thanks for opening Kitchen. Hard to know on the 1st of month who has posted or not. May need you to post next month. You never know. Sounded like a busy working at home weekend for You and Jim.

Hi Holly, nice to see your post. Seems like it has been a few years since you have been in the kitchen. Hope you will not be so scarce next time.

Waving to rest of Gals,

Hugs, Deery

False