Rosie's Recipe Reviews~ Mexican Bubble Bread & Easy Breakfast Bake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rosie's Recipe Reviews~ Mexican Bubble Bread & Easy Breakfast Bake

Last post May 24, 2011 12:10 PM by Nancy_NJ . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Rosie's Recipe Reviews~ Mexican Bubble Bread & Easy Breakfast Bake

Gm, Coffee  I have really gotten behind on a few Recipes  that I tried both last week and this week. So I  thought  I'd do a combo on a few of them just so I can catch up. And it will also keep other posts from getting bumped away too quickly.

Both recipes  are Rosies.

The first one I made on Saturday.  I made just 1/2 of the recipe and it carried over to cover 2 meals as we again enjoyed it on Sunday.

This recipe is very light. Even though this recipe contains  Hash browns. It's  nice and spicy and just slightly cheesy.  Difently Not on the eggy side.  Now the texture is very interesting and hard to really pinpoint an opinion of ~  My take is that is is a cross between a Crepe & a Quiche, But leaning more toward the crepe.

Very interesting how the potatos  really break down  of mend into the mixture of meat,& veggies.  By taking on an almost mashed texture.  Once I added  the milk,eggs and bisquick mixture is added to the dish.  It's  done.  Not the  least bit time consuming. 

Once I poured the topping part over the casserole,I took a fork and kind of pushed the liquid mixture through the bottom layer so that it got some distribution.  That it would not make the top ,to  top heavy.  I also did the same with the cheese.  And I think there is room to bump this  one up a wee notch  If desired.. Just by switching out he cheeses.  A Mexican would be a good choice and for ther Hotties  ~  A pepper jack would be nice.  Still the cheddar did its  job by added the finishing touchs as it  normaly does to a recipe. 

This would make a great brunch item.  And a make ahead would work very well.

Thanks  Rosie, This really is  an

Impossibly Easy Breakfast  Bake ( crowd size)

Ingredients

2 packages of bulk pork sausage

1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1) cup, Green

1 med onion, chopped.  !/2 cup

3 cups frozen hash browns potatoes ( used 1-1/2 cups)

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8oz)

1 cup bisquick

2 cups milk

4 eggs

Oven set at 400.  Great a 13x9x2" rectangular pan.  Used a 8x8 for 1/2 of this recipe .

Cook the sausage, pepper and onions till the sausage is no longer pink. Drain.  Place into the prepared pan and add the hashbrowns  and 1-1/2 cups of the cheese.

Combine Milk, Eggs and Bisquick.  Mix well  and pour over the meat mixture.  Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 1-2 more minutes. Cool 5 minutes.  Serves  12

Will add Review #2  Next ~  Janie

This one we had last night and honestly it was perfect ~  I literally threw this one together and you can as well.  I just prepared theb base then added the small pieces of dough right before baking .. Being that the mixture was chilled I did warm it up in the oven for a few minutes before addig ths small dough cubes.  I had no biscuit dough so I used a pizza dough  ~  About a a 1/2 tube Didn't want to over do it.  I also had no tomato soup but did have a can of Progresso's  tomato bisque ~   That worrked very well.  Found a few packets  of left over bulk sausage and some ground mneat ~  Combine the two  and i really enjoyed having that lttiel bit of sausage in there as it really added to the Taco spice mix that you add to the Mixture.   A real nice plus. 

The kids will love this one  and I dressed it to the limit ~  B y adding some chopped romaine, sour cream slasa and scallions ~  This has to be sounding really great by now !~ 

Next time you think pizza ~  Go the  other route and try a helping of this ~  Its really tastey.  Not to spicy and it had enough of the soup base left over to kind of dunk the little baked pizza nuggets in ~ 

In a smal way this recipe is so much like  Chili  yet its  different !~  One Reviewer suggsted using enchiida sauce intead of the tomato  soup .  I couldn't agree more  and while you're at it  add some chopped jalapenos !~  heck bring out all of the big cannons !~  Blast away .  That's  what so great about casseroles.   Whatever alway  works.  Rosie  , I must say even though Mr has Lamb Chops he still had to sample this one !~ 

Thanks  for sharing the recipe sweetie,  Its  a winner ~  Great for Barbecues !~  I wouldn't hestitate and becaue you add some nice chilled toppings  it  even great for the summer ~  Not another thing is needed~ Casseroel including a salad on top !~  Now how bad's that !~  Janie

Mexican Bubble Pizza

Ingredients

1-1/2 pounds of lean ground beef.  Used way less and used a mixture of both ground beef and sausage

1 package of taco spice mix

3/4 cup of water ( did not use )

1 can tomato soup ( 10-3/4  oz    ( my can of soup was larger so I excluded the water ) Progesso  Tomato Bisque

1 can of grad biscuits (  16.3oz)

Toppings

2 cups  of cheddar cheese

2 cups shredded lettuce ( used Romaine)

2 medium tomatoes ( used salsa)

1 cup thick n chunky salsa

1 can of sliced olives, drained

3 green onions, sliced

Oven set at 375.

Cook the beef till done Drain,  add taco seasoning, water  and the soup mix well.   Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.  Remove from  the heat.  

Seperate the dough into 8 biscuits  then cut each biscuit into 8 small pieces.. Place on top of the hot meat mixture. Stir gently then sppon mixture into a 13x9" ungreased pan.

Bake 18-23 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the biscuits are browned.  Sprinkle with the cheese and return to the oven to melt .

Cut into 8 squares and serve.  Top each square with  the toppings.

*  Becasue I used  a larger can of soup I could not cut mine.   I just used a big spoon to scoop out the goodies then addressed them with the topping ~  Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

• Re: Rosie's Recipe Reviews~ Mexican Bubble Bread & Easy Breakfast Bake

Gm Janie- Haven't had Breakfast and This sounds great. TY to Rosie for the Recipe and Janie for a Tempting review.~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Sounds yummy~I am going to send this to DS as he does most of the weeke-end cooking for his crowd-size family and I know they will love it!

Thank you Janie for the review and Rosie for the recipe!

Linda

False

Rosie, Sweetie, maybe you can add the great pictures that accompany these wonderful recipes ~  Thanks  Janie   Gm  you two Birdies.  Thanks for peeking in ~  Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Gm Ladies

Janie thank you for the review and Rosie thanks for the wonderful recipe

False

thanks to Janie for the reviews and to Rosie for the recipes  :)

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Thanks  you all for popping in ~   Jolene,  I bet Jake would like this one ~ 

Mine had a little pizza  over tone  to it because,  I used  Pizza dough ~  But really even the Bread stick dough would work~   Even your homemade bread dough ~  Yes  Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Boy, you had some great breakfast eats didn't you young lady. You must have been in heaven since both are a little bit of a splurge for you. Sure wish we could have helped you out with these! Thank-you for such a great review, and to Rosie, don't know how she does it, but finds everybodies favorites constantly.

Gm waves to all the gals!

False

G m sweetie.CoffeeThanks you so much for the great review and suggestions.

DH says breakfast is his favorite meal.

When we were first married all he would have is a cup of coffee and a cigarette.[bad boy]

Rosie

False

Both recipes sound great. Thanks so much Rosie gal and thanks Janie for taking the time to give your wonderful reviews.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero