Can you freeze celery? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze celery?

Last post Jul 27, 2004 6:23 PM by Depo . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Can you freeze celery?
    I cant keep fresh celery on hand due to living a long ways from store.
    Has anyone ever froze celery successfully? I thought if I sliced the stalks and put them into separate vacuum and seal bags ... it might work. What do you think? thanks, granny
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

• RE: Can you freeze celery?
    I freeze celery, carrots, onions too just diced up or grated. Put in freezer bags and toss them in.
    False
    I would think it would probably turn into one soggy mess after it thaws.
    False
    WOW! I am amazed that you can actually freeze celery.........see what you can learn on this board!!:o)
    False
    I think it is like onions...fine to freeze them if you plan to use them in a cooked dish...but don't try using thawed onions (or celery) in a "raw" dish!
    False
    I've read on here that wrapping it in foil will help it keep much longer in the frig.

Haven't remember to try it though.
    False
    I freeze chopped celery and use it in cooking for casseroles, etc. I have used it in salads, but it loses it's crispness. Sometimes I mix it with chopped onions and peppers, freeze it in small bags and use it in omelets and other dishes. I label
    it COP (celery, onion & peppers)My kids often say we need COP in something- good in corn, macaroni & cheese, meat loaf, chili, etc.
    False
    Why don't you try just 1 bag & see how it does vacuum sealed? Maybe what you want to use it for will be fine.
    Celery trimmed on the end, wrapped with a damp paper towel & kept in a produce bag will keep fresh for a long time. Every once in awhile, trim the end & renew the damp towel.
    If you get in once a month even, that should get you through until the next shopping trip.
    Or, consider keeping celeriac on hand for those times you run out of celery.
    False
    I just dethawed some celery stalks yesterday to use in soup and they were a soggy mess! I was so disappointed but my mom says that next time I should just chop them up real small and then they'll be okay.
    False
    I chop mine up and freeze it all the time for soups and casseroles. It works fine. I don't thaw before adding it to recipe, so have not had the problem with it being soggy.
    False
    granny,celery is made up of 95% water.So think of it as freezing water.When it thaws,the water will be gone and you're left with the 5% of the fiber that will be VERY limp.Might be used in soups ok but a lot of the flavor will be lost when thawed.Hope this helps. Depo!!!
    False