R/R/Pics ~ U-Whoo..DorothyR_in_Maliboo ~ Your "Fresh Blueberry Pie"! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R/R/Pics ~ U-Whoo..DorothyR_in_Maliboo ~ Your "Fresh Blueberry Pie"!

Last post Aug 03, 2011 12:07 AM by DorothyR_in_Maliboo . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • R/R/Pics ~ U-Whoo..DorothyR_in_Maliboo ~ Your "Fresh Blueberry Pie"!

Dorothy ~ what a "Wonderful" recipe!Yes Yes....I made this the other evening for a get together and it was a hit.  So easy to prepare first thing in the morning ~ to enjoy for dessert that evening.

I LOVE the "No Bake" (well, except for the crust) part of this recipe ~ actually....it was the blind baking of the crust that had me a tad worried.  LOL ~ when ever I have attempted to blind bake a crust....it always came out looking like a BAD pottery attempt.....gone terribly WRONG!! ~ all mis shaped and funny looking.

I decided to google and see what I could find to avoid this disaster and found a nice link with some very helpful tips.....below is the link for anyone who has  had the same problems .....

http://piemaven.com/blind_bake.htm......

I used a Pillsbury pre made crust....and did the following ~ after puting the crust in my pan.....I lined with parchment paper and filled with about 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice.....baked at 425 degrees for 15 minutes....(the article said the initial high heat would force much of the steam out ~ helping the crust to become more flaky)....then I reduced the oven temp to 375.....took the crust out ~ removed the parchment paper and rice......covered my crust edges with my pie crust rings and baked for an additional 7 minutes.....I was THRILLED with my results......beautifully shaped and flaky!!

AHHH!!! so with that tackled I proceeded on.  I made your recipe as written......except for 1 minor change ~ hubby is not a huge cinnamon fan.....and me ~ well I love it....so I only added 1/8 tsp.....which suited both our tastes.  The amount of filling was perfect and the addition of the blueberries on the the top made for a perfectly filled pie.  Serving was a breeze.....it sliced beautifully and was perfectly set.   What a "Great" recipe...Dorothy!

Dorothy's Fresh Blueberry Pie

From her blog site "Shockingly Delicious"

http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/

This is best made with fresh, not frozen, blueberries.

3/4 cup sugar
    2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2/3 cup water
    5 cups fresh blueberries, divided use
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
    2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (yellow only, not white part)
    10-inch pie crust, blind baked and cooled

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Blend in water and 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil, stirring and smashing half the berries deliberately (use a potato masher a few swipes if you like). Boil, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick, a minute or so. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cool. (See note below.)

Fold in 2 1/2 cups blueberries, coating them well. Scoop into cooled baked pie shell. Arrange remaining cup of fresh berries over top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours, or overnight if needed.

Serve plain, or with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. To serve, remove pie from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Sift powdered sugar over top for pretty.

Serves 8.

Note on cooling the filling:

A quick way to cool the filling before adding the rest of the blueberries is to fill a large salad-type bowl with ice and water. Partially submerge the pan with the cooked blueberries in this cold bath, stirring every once in awhile, and in 5 or so minutes it will be sufficiently cooled to continue with your recipe. You can also just set the pan on an unused burner while it cools off, but the cold water bath is much faster and lets you get your pie in the refrigerator more quickly if time is important. 

Just 1 quick question.....would strawberries work equally as well?  LOL ~ I hope so!!!  can't wait to "Blind Bake" another crustSmile

Thanks again ~ DorothyYes.... for this wonderful easy, breezy, blueberry pie.  I'm looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Twila*

False

Photobucket

• Re: R/R/Pics ~ U-Whoo..DorothyR_in_Maliboo ~ Your "Fresh Blueberry Pie"!

Twila,

I am so happy you enjoyed it! Your version looks good with the puffs of whipped cream on top -- very fancy!

I am waiting for blueberries to come down a bit in price to make this. They're still pretty pricy here...can't wait!

As to your strawberry question...I don't see why not! If you try that, let us know how it works for you. Strawberries, of course, will be much juicier....hmmm.

I like your blind baking strategy.

Lovely review...you are sweet! 

--Dorothy R

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

GM Dorothy ~ I've been soooo lucky with getting my blueberries on a buy 1/get 1 free deal.....I think the berries I used to make this pie cost me like $3.00.....in a couple of weeks there will be a blueberry festival in my area...can't wait!!!

I'll let you know if the strawberry version tuns out .....I was thinking maybe? adding a little extra cornstarch or using a little unflavored gelatin to off set the extra juice in the strawberries.....the strawberries have been reasonably priced in the stores as well......and abundant at my local farmers market.....I soooo love this time of year...

Thanks again...for sharing this wonderful recipe Smile

Twila*

False

Photobucket

Yes

False

Didja ever make the strawberry version?  I am curious!

Blueberries are cheap here now. I am going to make this again!

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious