ISO your best freezer cole slaw recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO your best freezer cole slaw recipe

Last post Sep 14, 2011 1:50 PM by ChefV . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • ISO your best freezer cole slaw recipe

I need to use up some extra cabbage.  I have tasted freezer slaw recipes that I liked, but also some that I didn't like so well.  Decided to ask for your help.  Do you have a favorite recipe that you use?

False
  • Re: ISO your best freezer cole slaw recipe
    • 1 cabbage
    • 1 carrot
    • 1 sweet pepper
    • 1 medium onion
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 2 cups sugar or less
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 tsp. mustard seed
    • 1 tsp celery seed

Chop cabbage, carrot, onion, and pepper. Cover with the salt and let set for one hour.

Squeeze the liquid out of the cabbage.

Mix vinegar, sugar, water and mustard and celery seed in 2 qt. pot. Bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.

Let cool. Pour over cabbage. Stir well. Let stand about 3 minutes, then place in sealed freezer containers or storage bags. Place in freezer.

Remove from the freezer the day before or the morning you need it for a meal. Let it sit in the refrigerator to thaw. You can place it in a bowl on your counter to thaw. You will find water in the base of the bowl.

You can also add the vegetables -- onion, peppers, carrots while making the slaw. But if you don't want to add them while you are making this slaw for the freezer, you can add them fresh to your thawed slaw.  

False
  • Re: ISO your best freezer cole slaw recipe

This recipe was posted on this board years ago, sorry I didn't write down who posted it.  I've tried it and besides being simple to fix, it's good too!

Freezer Slaw    

1 large head cabbage – shredded or chopped as preferred

1 large onion, chopped

7/8 c. granulated sugar

1 c. white vinegar

¾ c. salad oil – canola, crisco, etc.

1 Tbsp. salt (can add less)

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. celery seeds

Place half of the cabbage in a very large bowl.  Add chopped onion on top of the cabbage.  Place rest of cabbage on top of onion and sprinkle with 7/8 c. sugar.

Heat vinegar, salad oil, salt, 2 tsp. sugar, mustard and celery seeds to boiling. Pour over cabbage, DO NOT STIR, cover with saran wrap at once,

Refrigerate at least 4 hours, overnight is best.  Improves with age, can refrigerate for 2 weeks. Can be frozen.

False