What is the best way to cut a 9 X 13 size cake in half lengthwise? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the best way to cut a 9 X 13 size cake in half lengthwise?

Last post Jul 30, 2004 10:08 AM by PuzzleMamaMN . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What is the best way to cut a 9 X 13 size cake in half lengthwise?
    I think that would be what it is called...what I want is 2 9 X 13 pieces of cake when I am finished. It will then have a filling layer put between the 2 layers. Have you tried this? Does the fish line idea really work? Thanks, Puzz
    False
  • RE: What is the best way to cut a 9 X 13 size cake in half lengthwise?
    I don't know if this will help, but whenever I bake a cake in my 9 x 13" pan, I line it totally with parchment...In other words have it come up all four sides. To keep it from popping out, I use clothespins to temporarily hold it in place until I can get the batter to weight it down.

After baking, and it has cooled down, I flip it out onto a big cutting board which has a piece of parchment on it. Then peel off the parchment used in baking.

For cutting, I use my electric Knife. It gives you clean, smooth cuts and you are not pushing down & squishing the cake. (I also use my elec knife for cutting homemade bread for the same reason)

Ce
    False
    "BeancounterCe"
    orry, I do not have an electric knife. Any other ideas?? Puzz
    False
    At first I thought you meant to make two long strips. Now, if I understand, you are wanting two thin pieces.
    Take toothpicks and measure half way up the cake height Put about three or four on each side of the cake and use them as a quide to cut. Use the longest knife you have and a serrated knife would work better.
    It isn't hard and if the cake isn't perfectly even,it can be hidden by icing or filling.
    Good luck....did I answer your question or do you mean something else? I just got up, I have such a sinus headache, and I feel that my brain isn't working too well yet.
    False
    Yes, I want the 2 thin pieces. I will try the toothpick guide and see if I have a serrated knife. Thanks, Puzz
    False
    I take a piece of sewing thread and wrap around the cake, halfway down. the I take the ends of the string and pull. It will cut the cake but be careful and have the thread equal on all three corners, i.e. if the cake is 2 inches thick make sure the thread is one inch from the top on all four corners. Good luck
    False
    I have worked in a bakery and The best is to freeze the cake and line it with parchment paper to flip it onto the building layers you want. Then take a sharp big plain knife or bread knife and cut the cake in size you want.
    False
    I use dental floss. The waxed kind.
    Hope this helps.
    False
    IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY!!! I used the toothpick guide and my longest serrated knife to cut the cakes. Had one pineapple and one strawberry. Layered and filled with a combination of crushed pineapple, fresh strawberries and a cream cheese/cool whip frosting. Looks absolutely gorgeous...here's hoping it will taste good too. Puzz
    False