Orange Peel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Orange Peel

Last post Mar 05, 2012 4:41 PM by 1275 . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • Orange Peel

When a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel, does that mean grating the rind of an actual orange or using the stuff in a jar on the spice isle?  Thanks.

False
  • Re: Orange Peel

You can buy dried orange peel but I prefer to use fresh.  Although my recipes tend to call for zest rather than peel.  I have a zester but a lot of people go to the hardware store & buy a microplainer (sp?)....you want to grate just the top layer of the orange & not get the white layer.  I use my zester quite a bit....like a little lemon zest in blueberry bread or muffins & have a shortbread cookie that I like to grate orange zest into.  I think the fresh has much more flavor.  But sometimes having a jar of it in the cabinet makes your life easier.  Or, when you have fresh lemons, oranges, limes in the house, zest them & put the zest into the freezer.

False
  • Re: Orange Peel

You can use either, but I would recommend using fresh orange peel. Dried orange peel from the spice aisle can be used, but usually does not stay fresh for very long. Grated orange peel is usually not used very often by many people, so it usually loses its flavor before you need it again. For orange peel, you can either use a grater and just grate the orange on it, or you can get a zester. If you have never use one, you might consider investing in one. It easily creates tiny shreds of citrus fruit peels and does not cost much. Fresh peel has better flavor than dried. Also, I don't measure it. I just grate/zest enough to equal what I think would be the amount I need. Hope this helped.

False